It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Geralt_of_Rivia: When you start seeing things like that madness takes its toll. ;-)
(You do know what I am refering to, right?)
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe
*GR suddenly transforms into a creepy looking butler outfit, and dances around to the music now playing*

====

MovingArtillery: And happy birthday!
"Thanks once again.....now, back to the music!"

====
====

Party Update

"All guests have been tended to, refreshments have been refreshed, and I hope everyone enjoys the musical selection linked above. I will also likely be back momentarily(after some IRL stuff) to award yet another lucky individual, so stay tuned!"
Post edited September 16, 2021 by GamezRanker
KetobaK: 3- Visit Alpha Century and maybe discover a new planet.

Too bad, it is not on the list. :P
Eurythmics? I like Eurythmics! they save the world!
low rated
LootHunter: Too bad, it is not on the list. :P
Hey....the only one who is allowed to nitpick people's mistakes(spelling or otherwise) in here is me!
Oh ok, you can do it too....as long as yer nice about it :)

====

LynXsh: Eurythmics? I like Eurythmics! they save the world!
Oooh, a new clip I haven't heard yet to listen to. Thanks ye kindly.
(will listen in a bit, after some games/etc)

====

By the by and the like.....OMG, we have another surprise for some lucky party guest!

Lifthrasil: In for Star Crawlers.
*GR simply nods towards Lift's PM box with a knowing smile*
(which may be devious or friendly in nature....tis hard to tell atm)

====

Also:

JakobFel: And with that, I wish all entrants luck!
Your wishing others luck seems to have paid off....as you are the second randomly drawn winner for the party favors draw!

"Simply pick one of the remaining party favors(and state it here in a reply to this post), and my (totally friendly and harmless) helper spiders will get it to you shortly"
KetobaK: Star Trek (2009). Why? Because is the one that introduced me to the franchise.
GamezRanker: I've seen bits and pieces(when someone else was watching), and I admit it did look decent....gotta finish it properly, sometime.
By the by, did you know there is a(imo quite decent) video game based on the new films?
I can recommend it to you, both are great movies, but you have to be careful with the light flares of J.J. Abrams.
About the game, yes, I hear and saw it back in the day, as a movie video game made me doubt, reviews were bad and games were really hard to purchase when it came out, so I totally skip it.
KetobaK: Happy birthday GamezRanker!!!! I would like to participate in the Trek contest.
GamezRanker: Just checking: you mean the Trek game credit draw, correct? And also, are you entering for the shadow man classic draw or no?
Yep, for the Trek game credit draw :)

Too bad, it is not on the list. :P
LootHunter:
Nooooooooooooo!!!!
Attachments:
damn-you.gif (99 Kb)
Post edited September 16, 2021 by KetobaK
low rated
KetobaK: I can recommend it to you, both are great movies, but you have to be careful with the light flares of J.J. Abrams.
Eh, light flares are ok to me.....I don't mind such things being in the films I watch. :)

KetobaK: About the game, yes, I hear and saw it back in the day, as a movie video game made me doubt, reviews were bad and games were really hard to purchase when it came out, so I totally skip it.
You should play it some day, if you can....it has some nice looking levels/areas and some decent game play.

KetobaK: Yep, for the Trek game credit draw :)
Yer all set :)
Congratulations for the upcoming birthday! I am happy to enter the party, and any of the draws. Here are my answers:

1. My favorite Star Trek episode is the Next Generation episode "Darmok", where the TNG crew are trying to establish first contact with an alien race whose language is unique: all of their expressions are based on references to their history and legends, making them seemingly impossible to understand to someone who does not have a shared history. Picard and the alien captain end up on a hostile world together, working together to survive while trying to reach across their distrust and language barrier. The two captains eventually bond successfully, although at great cost, and Picard learns the rudiments of their language. Their experiences together become a new part of the aliens' language.

I think the episode is great for being all about communication and overcoming barriers. It's also an exploration of language, and of the importance of stories. One of the ways Picard learns to communicate is by telling the alien part of the tale of Gilgamesh, one of the first known surviving stories in our history (it's from ancient Mesopotamia, written on stone tablets about 2000 BC) - I think it was a beautiful way to bring together a story of our earliest history within a story of our far future.

2. As for what I'd like to do in space, I'd like to help carry out an experiment to test a Bussard ramjet, a theoretical idea for interstellar travel where a spacecraft gathers its own fuel from hydrogen floating in space itself (in the interstellar medium) using electromagnetic fields, and uses this fuel to power a fusion rocket.

3. Here's a cast picture of the Original Series as cats, from Jenny Parks' book Star Trek Cats. I think the reason why they are on a five-year mission is because they need to chase every light in the sky like a laser pointer...

4. My own birthdays I don't celebrate all that much, but maybe there's an occasional gift from family and some good food. But there's a young relative child whose birthdays are much more involved affairs, it's interesting to think of what gifts will be appreciated today because they are already growing among smartphones etc. so the type of toys etc. that they are used to are quite different from what I had.

5. Thanks for the party music! I had only heard the Eurythmics original, not the Marilyn Manson version. It's certainly a better fit for the lyrics, although the original version might have been intentionally contrasting the tone and lyrics.
low rated
DiffuseReflection: My favorite Star Trek episode is the Next Generation episode "Darmok", where the TNG crew are trying to establish first contact with an alien race whose language is unique: all of their expressions are based on references to their history and legends, making them seemingly impossible to understand to someone who does not have a shared history. Picard and the alien captain end up on a hostile world together, working together to survive while trying to reach across their distrust and language barrier. The two captains eventually bond successfully, although at great cost, and Picard learns the rudiments of their language. Their experiences together become a new part of the aliens' language.

I think the episode is great for being all about communication and overcoming barriers. It's also an exploration of language, and of the importance of stories.
That actually sounds like pretty nice episode, and episode theme/message as well.

DiffuseReflection: As for what I'd like to do in space, I'd like to help carry out an experiment to test a Bussard ramjet, a theoretical idea for interstellar travel where a spacecraft gathers its own fuel from hydrogen floating in space itself (in the interstellar medium) using electromagnetic fields, and uses this fuel to power a fusion rocket.
Sounds cool and all, but I wonder: what will the magnetic field do to surrounding objects in space(other ships, etc)?

DiffuseReflection: Here's a cast picture of the Original Series as cats, from Jenny Parks' book Star Trek Cats. I think the reason why they are on a five-year mission is because they need to chase every light in the sky like a laser pointer...
Soooooo cute.....also lol at that last line.

DiffuseReflection: ....it's interesting to think of what gifts will be appreciated today because they are already growing among smartphones etc. so the type of toys etc. that they are used to are quite different from what I had.
Indeed, one might even say that: the times they are a changin'

DiffuseReflection: Thanks for the party music! I had only heard the Eurythmics original, not the Marilyn Manson version. It's certainly a better fit for the lyrics, although the original version might have been intentionally contrasting the tone and lyrics.
Glad ya liked it :)

DiffuseReflection: Congratulations for the upcoming birthday! I am happy to enter the party, and any of the draws.
"Your name has been jotted down. Now that that's done, would you care for an aperitif?"
LootHunter: Too bad, it is not on the list. :P
GamezRanker: Hey....the only one who is allowed to nitpick people's mistakes(spelling or otherwise) in here is me!
Oh ok, you can do it too....as long as yer nice about it :)
Sorry. I didn't mean it as a mistake. More as a sad fact that this person could have a wish fulfilled through the game but will not be able to get this game in this giveaway.
low rated
LootHunter: Sorry. I didn't mean it as a mistake. More as a sad fact that this person could have a wish fulfilled through the game but will not be able to get this game in this giveaway.
Yeah, I got ya.....I was just showing a bit of faux indignance as an in-character(party host persona) joke, is all. :)

And yes...tut tut, a pity.....if only they had spelled out the name of a game on the list in their post. I mean, who knows what might have happened then. o.0 :)
GamezRanker: Also:

JakobFel: And with that, I wish all entrants luck!
GamezRanker: Your wishing others luck seems to have paid off....as you are the second randomly drawn winner for the party favors draw!

"Simply pick one of the remaining party favors(and state it here in a reply to this post), and my (totally friendly and harmless) helper spiders will get it to you shortly"
Awesome! I'd absolutely love to have Elex if it's still available!

JakobFel: To be fair, I've always been a bigger fan of Star Wars so I think the more grandiose, narrative-driven format of Discovery is what really appeals to me.
GamezRanker: I also love Star Wars to a high degree as well, and hear ya on stories that are grandiose and narrative driven. :)

JakobFel: I feel like Discovery gets hate for the same reason why the Star Wars sequels got hate: people are typically resistant to new stuff and unless it aligns perfectly with their preferences, they'll criticize the living daylights out of it.
GamezRanker: Tbh, I think sometimes people have valid criticisms on various things...including entertainment media. That said, I hear ya on some people sometimes disliking things (generally speaking) just because they're new/different.

JakobFel: If we're talking realistic space travel, I think it'd be exhilarating but terrifying to do a space walk of some kind. However, if we're talking about ST/SW style space travel, I'd love to own some sort of luxury space yacht and make my living as a galactic merchant, seeing countless worlds and living the life.
GamezRanker: Both sound very nice, indeed.
(also: speaking of realistic space travel, the game 'Deliver Us The Moon' is very nice)

JakobFel: Well, my family still throws miniature birthday parties for everyone, at least most of the time. We'll gather, have dinner, open gifts (at least for the younger family members), have cake and ice cream and then go home.
GamezRanker: Sounds like fun :)

JakobFel: I'm not much of a fan of Marilyn Manson nor was I ever much of an industrial stuff but I've grown a bit of an ear for some of it lately thanks to Cyberpunk, I've been particularly hooked on Blue Stahli lately. But I digress, the song wasn't too bad, thanks for sharing!
GamezRanker: And thanks for the link....will likely check it out in a bit(after some chores/etc IRL).

JakobFel: Nice, happy birthday GR! I'm in for any and all of the categories/prize pools/whatever you want to call them.

---

And with that, I wish all entrants luck!
GamezRanker: "Your name should appear on all lists momentarily, and the draws will happen in due time. Until then, you're free to enjoy the rest of the 'night's' amusements."
Yeah, I still love Star Trek though, I've always thought the "rivalry" between the two was silly haha. I do understand that there are some valid criticisms of Discovery, for sure, but I also think old school fans were relatively bitter because it tried new stuff which is frustrating because it's a fantastic show overall. I've heard of Deliver Us the Moon but haven't played it, I'll check it out, thanks!
DiffuseReflection: As for what I'd like to do in space, I'd like to help carry out an experiment to test a Bussard ramjet, a theoretical idea for interstellar travel where a spacecraft gathers its own fuel from hydrogen floating in space itself (in the interstellar medium) using electromagnetic fields, and uses this fuel to power a fusion rocket.
GamezRanker: Sounds cool and all, but I wonder: what will the magnetic field do to surrounding objects in space(other ships, etc)?
The way I understand it it's really meant for those vast empty stretches of space between stars, where there is very little else to bother even with huge magnetic fields. I suppose they would have to turn it off when near others, e.g. for docking and so on. And I assume they'd also have to control it so it does not affect instruments inside the ship itself.

GamezRanker: "Your name has been jotted down. Now that that's done, would you care for an aperitif?"
Don't mind if I do, thank you. (Settles in)
low rated
JakobFel: Yeah, I still love Star Trek though, I've always thought the "rivalry" between the two was silly haha.
Tbh, I think a number of others in both camps agree, and just keep it up for tradition/show/etc. :)

JakobFel: I do understand that there are some valid criticisms of Discovery, for sure, but I also think old school fans were relatively bitter because it tried new stuff which is frustrating because it's a fantastic show overall.
I think some, for example, disliked the propaganda/pandering injected into the show by it's makers.....not gonna get into that here(it's party time, after all :)), but my guess is: if not for that, I am guessing a good number more might've actually liked/enjoyed the show.

Me? If it's good, I usually try to play/watch(with a few exceptions, of course).

JakobFel: I've heard of Deliver Us the Moon but haven't played it, I'll check it out, thanks!
Yeah, it has a few flaws, but imo it's a very nice(if a bit short) "exploration sim"....involving space travel/the moon.

JakobFel: Awesome! I'd absolutely love to have Elex if it's still available!
*GR checks a list* "Hmm, says here it is indeed available. Now to send it."

*GR looks around, and notes that his pet spiderlings have gone off somewhere....again, so he looks around and eventually finds an alternative*
"Send the phone spiders!"
(no worries, i've tamed them.....I think)

====

DiffuseReflection: The way I understand it it's really meant for those vast empty stretches of space between stars, where there is very little else to bother even with huge magnetic fields. I suppose they would have to turn it off when near others, e.g. for docking and so on. And I assume they'd also have to control it so it does not affect instruments inside the ship itself.
That makes sense....wouldn't want a scenario like the one in Halo 2(or 3? where the one ship shocks out while near a city), after all.

DiffuseReflection: Don't mind if I do, thank you. (Settles in)
*GR lifts his glass, then sets it on a nearby table before doing a dance to some hidden tune no one else seems to be able to hear*
JakobFel: Yeah, I still love Star Trek though, I've always thought the "rivalry" between the two was silly haha.
GamezRanker: Tbh, I think a number of others in both camps agree, and just keep it up for tradition/show/etc. :)

JakobFel: I do understand that there are some valid criticisms of Discovery, for sure, but I also think old school fans were relatively bitter because it tried new stuff which is frustrating because it's a fantastic show overall.
GamezRanker: I think some, for example, disliked the propaganda/pandering injected into the show by it's makers.....not gonna get into that here(it's party time, after all :)), but my guess is: if not for that, I am guessing a good number more might've actually liked/enjoyed the show.

Me? If it's good, I usually try to play/watch(with a few exceptions, of course).

JakobFel: I've heard of Deliver Us the Moon but haven't played it, I'll check it out, thanks!
GamezRanker: Yeah, it has a few flaws, but imo it's a very nice(if a bit short) "exploration sim"....involving space travel/the moon.

JakobFel: Awesome! I'd absolutely love to have Elex if it's still available!
GamezRanker: *GR checks a list* "Hmm, says here it is indeed available. Now to send it."

*GR looks around, and notes that his pet spiderlings have gone off somewhere....again, so he looks around and eventually finds an alternative*
"Send the phone spiders!"
(no worries, i've tamed them.....I think)
Awesome, thanks GR and YwzYwz for Elex, I've been meaning to delve into Piranha Bytes' games, especially Elex, before the Gothic remake and Elex 2 so this should be a great opportunity!

Anyways yeah, innocent/fun rivalry is all good but the toxic ones annoy me haha. I understand the complaint about the message injected into the show but I personally didn't feel like it was anything obtrusive or unnatural-feeling, at least not in regards to Star Trek. But like you said, it's party time so we don't have to get into that now! I love exploration games so yeah, that sounds great, thanks again for the recommendation, the party favor and the giveaway!
low rated
JakobFel: Anyways yeah, innocent/fun rivalry is all good but the toxic ones annoy me haha.
They're covered in(or made of) dangerous chemicals and whatnot? The poor things. o.0

Jokes aside, eh.....I say pay the nasty sorts no mind(actual ones, I mean....so many get needlessly labelled this and that nowadays so that some can shut their mind off and not need to hear others out. But I ramble.....again, back to the party!).

JakobFel: But like you said, it's party time so we don't have to get into that now! I love exploration games so yeah, that sounds great, thanks again for the recommendation, the party favor and the giveaway!
*salute*