It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The (pixel) art of war!

Wargroove is coming soon DRM-free.

She might be a young queen on the run but Mercia is far from helpless! Together with her new allies she shall wage war and try to reclaim the kingdom of Cherrystone in a dynamic strategy game with fascinating turn-based encounters and distinct commanders, each with their own personality and Groove fighting moves. Create your own campaigns with the advanced in-game tools, try the Arcade and Puzzle modes, fight online battles, and feel the charm of Wargroove!
We regret to inform you that Wargroove will not be released on GOG.COM.

Together with the publisher, we launched the coming soon page back in February with the best intention of delivering Wargroove as soon as possible, especially knowing how many of you were eager to play it. Despite continuous efforts on both sides, releasing the game in a way that we believe would be satisfying to the entire GOG community, was not possible. This is why we mutually made a very difficult decision not to offer the game and we will be removing the coming soon page as a result.
Post edited September 13, 2019 by chandra
MartiusR: I see that today afternoon they've changed Q1 2019 on Q2 2019 on product's page.

It's incredible that there was no problem with releasing at the same game on Switch (hardware inferior comparing to all other popular gaming devices) and Xbox one, but releasing already existing PC version on GOG is so problematic.

Sigh.
SirPrimalform: It's not like it's close to stretching the Switch's hardware* anyway but I get what you mean. If they were working on Crossplay then I could sort of understand the holdup but I don't see any mention of Crossplay in this news post or on the store page.

*Incidentally, the Switch is actually pretty powerful compared to most popular gaming devices in its class - a handheld with a TV out is still fundamentally a handheld and should be judged as such.
I admit that I was comparing switch to other "stationary" platforms, like PC, X Box One or PS4. Since Switch is a bt "hybrid" device and game was released so far on "stationary" formats .

MartiusR: I see that today afternoon they've changed Q1 2019 on Q2 2019 on product's page.

It's incredible that there was no problem with releasing at the same game on Switch (hardware inferior comparing to all other popular gaming devices) and Xbox one, but releasing already existing PC version on GOG is so problematic.

Sigh.
Hollyhock: Pretty sure is not a technical problem. Looks like they are intentionally holding the DRM free version, maybe another platform has required them to do so to reduce piracy or to avoid competition. After some months, when sales go down on main channels, they will release the "DRM free" to boost sales. Just the same effect as a discount, but without having to actually discount the game.

I hate when indie games come to an agreement with consoles companies before being released. That usually means either the DRM-free version will be second class, or there won't be DRM-free version at all.
Ouch. Didn't thought about this explanation, but it sounds very probable. Looking for the fact how developer is ignoring all questions about GOG version literally everywhere (mail, twitter, forum, discourd channel), it's even more probable. Now I'm utterly disappointed with them.
SirPrimalform: It's not like it's close to stretching the Switch's hardware* anyway but I get what you mean. If they were working on Crossplay then I could sort of understand the holdup but I don't see any mention of Crossplay in this news post or on the store page.

*Incidentally, the Switch is actually pretty powerful compared to most popular gaming devices in its class - a handheld with a TV out is still fundamentally a handheld and should be judged as such.
MartiusR: I admit that I was comparing switch to other "stationary" platforms, like PC, X Box One or PS4. Since Switch is a bt "hybrid" device and game was released so far on "stationary" formats .
What other handhelds are there? The 3DS and Vita are last-gen handhelds, the Vita is discontinued and the 3DS is in its twilight years. Mobile is kind of its own market separate from handheld consoles.
MartiusR: I admit that I was comparing switch to other "stationary" platforms, like PC, X Box One or PS4. Since Switch is a bt "hybrid" device and game was released so far on "stationary" formats .
SirPrimalform: What other handhelds are there? The 3DS and Vita are last-gen handhelds, the Vita is discontinued and the 3DS is in its twilight years. Mobile is kind of its own market separate from handheld consoles.
GPD Win 1 and 2 are still there. Sadly, GPD Win 1 is no longer produced (which is a shame, because while GPD Win 2 has more juice, it's also much more expensive). But both are good choice, IMO much better than overrated Switch.

There are also various minor handhelds, but since plenty of them are oriented on Android or emulators in "semi-linux shell", I'm not mentioning them here.

I was hoping for playing in Wargroove on my GPD Win soon, but prefer to wait for DRM-free release. And it seems that I'm going wait more than I've initially expected.
Post edited April 07, 2019 by MartiusR
SirPrimalform: What other handhelds are there? The 3DS and Vita are last-gen handhelds, the Vita is discontinued and the 3DS is in its twilight years. Mobile is kind of its own market separate from handheld consoles.
MartiusR: GPD Win 1 and 2 are still there. Sadly, GPD Win 1 is no longer produced (which is a shame, because while GPD Win 2 has more juice, it's also much more expensive). But both are good choice, IMO much better than overrated Switch.

There are also various minor handhelds, but since plenty of them are oriented on Android or emulators in "semi-linux shell", I'm not mentioning them here.

I was hoping for playing in Wargroove on my GPD Win soon, but prefer to wait for DRM-free release. And it seems that I'm going wait more than I've initially expected.
Being x86 PCs that are intended to run Windows they're not really part of the handheld console market though, just really tiny PCs. I'd love to have one, but there's no chance I'd trade it for my Switch.
MartiusR: GPD Win 1 and 2 are still there. Sadly, GPD Win 1 is no longer produced (which is a shame, because while GPD Win 2 has more juice, it's also much more expensive). But both are good choice, IMO much better than overrated Switch.

SirPrimalform: Being x86 PCs that are intended to run Windows they're not really part of the handheld console market though, just really tiny PCs. I'd love to have one, but there's no chance I'd trade it for my Switch.
Guess that it's not part of handheld market when using terms for needs of Nintendo or (formerly) Sony, but it's not bothering me, don't see reason why don't consider GPD Win as part of handheld market.

Besides - Sega's Nomad was also "just" compact Mega-Drive (even used the same cartridges), GPD Win is just another iteration of the same concept ("packing" bigger, stationary platform into smaller, compact, with some concessions).
MartiusR: Guess that it's not part of handheld market when using terms for needs of Nintendo or (formerly) Sony, but it's not bothering me, don't see reason why don't consider GPD Win as part of handheld market.

Besides - Sega's Nomad was also "just" compact Mega-Drive (even used the same cartridges), GPD Win is just another iteration of the same concept ("packing" bigger, stationary platform into smaller, compact, with some concessions).
I understand what you're saying, it's just targeted at a separate market. The Sega Nomad was targeted at the handheld console market, the GPD Win isn't. It's not a competitor of the 3DS, Vita or Switch, nor is it a competitor of the mobile/tablet market. Anyway, this is a huge digression.

Where the hell's Wargroove?
i had a dream the other night wargroove finally released here.

i couldve sworn it was real.
fortune_p_dawg: i had a dream the other night wargroove finally released here.

i couldve sworn it was real.
If Wargroove releases this week I'm gonna be really pissed at you for not dreaming of Skyrim :p
3 months and a half, and still no Wargroove on GOG.

That's not the meaning of "soon".
Hollyhock: 3 months and a half, and still no Wargroove on GOG.

That's not the meaning of "soon".
It would be more forgivable if it was the entire PC version that was delayed. The fact that it's just the GOG release is ridiculous.
This seems very weird, it's almost like there was an exclusivity deal with steam(6 months or something similar). And there was a misunderstanding between GOG and the devs. So Wargroove ended up stuck as "coming soon" until that period expires.

I have no proof, I'm just making suppositions.
I wait a lot this game and i want to buy it on gog but unfortunately there is no info of release soon, i don't know why, i hope that the deal with the dev is still ok ;)
Already played this on Xbox Game Pass. Can't say I was blown away by it to be honest. The puzzle like battles are not really my preferred type of strategy. Kinda funny how not only does it get to Xbox before GOG, but it's on Game Pass before it even gets to GOG. LOL!
At this pace, I wonder if Wargroove on Gog will be like Crawl (advertised here and stealing attention from Gogers to force them to buy on Steam first), or like the Realms of Arkania Blade of Destiny HD (advertised first, before everything related being erased), or the Age of Wonders III and Expeditions Conquistador Linux Gog releases (cancelled because it's "not worth the effort").

I would have bought full price here if it was released with a reasonable delay (so not after console releases) even considering the Linux version in development. But, the more the wait is, the more other interesting releases' number grows, and the more a discount I expect to see for Wargroove before I consider buying it.
Post edited May 21, 2019 by Huinehtar
Huinehtar: Expeditions Conquistador Linux Gog releases (cancelled because it's "not worth the effort").
Really? I hadn't heard this. For me, "porting" this to Linux involved downloading the correct Unity3D Linux driver. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for Viking.