It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Liberté! Égalité! Spécialité!

<span class="bold">Tooth and Tail</span>, a grimly satirical RTS about organized animal cruelty, is coming soon, DRM-free, to GOG.com.

Time to break the (food) chains! The War for Meat has thrown the animal kingdom into upheaval and everyone is out to subdue and consume their opponents. Customize your faction and lead an army of aggressive fuzzballs through procedurally generated maps to burn, gut, or blast the other woodland creatures into gooey pixels. Then you can go online and brutalize your friends' furry pets, unless they're willing to swing by for some couch split-screen play.

Watch the hairy trailer.
Post edited July 18, 2017 by maladr0Id
Breja: Well, this looks very inte.... PIXELS... ah, shit.
Another day, another pixelated game that looks nothing at all like the games it's supposedly drawing from. Procedural generation for all campaign maps and shader effects to boot.

I like RTS quite a lot but I'll be taking a hard pass on this.
ajschatz: We're going live on our twitch channel to talk about upcoming launch and show gameplay for anyone who wants to stop by! http://twitch.tv/pocketwatch
Plokite_Wolf: So, from watching the stream, I got to the following stance:

Pros:
+ amazing art style and audio (I'm also a sucker for isometric 2D, and Eastern European inspiration helps)
+ base premise that has the potential for an excellent storyline
+ attempting to distance from the "(insert game here) clone" mentality and attempting to innovate
+ random map generation
+ customizable techtree which should differentiate the players and their play styles
+ no spamfests
+ clearly hinted gameplay-before-graphics approach
+ interesting split-screen idea - even if it fails, it's good that it's being experimented with

Cons:
- all commanders/factions are the same. Yes, I did hear about earlier builds having them different and ending up imbalanced or creating favoured commanders, but streamlining the gameplay that hard will backfire in making the game rather boring in the long run. When all units are shared among all four commanders, it's far easier to balance than your StarCraft or your Command & Conquer. I hope that this will change further in the development or post-launch.
- no LAN (at launch?)

The game has huge potential. I would like to try it out first-hand, and strongly hope that the game succeeds. In a dead and rather stale genre, this looks like a breath of fresh air, so I hope the minuses get resolved for a long-standing and future-proof game.
Thanks for hanging out with us on Twitch! Super excited to get the game out there soon.
Very very interesting... we will watch this game's progress with great interest...
Matruchus: I already asked about it and at the moment its not clear if they will release the Linux version here. They will check it and come back to us. Crossing fingers that we get the Linux version.
ajschatz said this about it here:
Matruchus: Is the Linux version going to be released on gog too?
ajschatz: Yes!
If the Linux version really comes to GOG, the game is a good candidate for an insta-buy for me. I like its story, style, and approach to RTS very much.

By the way, praise to ajschatz for participating in this thread that strongly.
Not really a big fan of the RTS genre, but this looks pretty fun. Might check it out when it's released.

Also, that guy in the promo art is rocking a pretty sweet beard. Is he supposed to be a tiger, or mouse or something?
I was afraid too at first, but as a pixel art amateur, this shit looks good. Like, Fez or Deepnight-level of pixel art goodness. Top notch pixel art. Kudos.

Anyway, I normally hate RTS with a passion, but everything from the universe and its campaign to the streamlined gameplay screams "BUY ME !!". Sooooooooo, I might actually consider it, I guess. Looking forward to it and the support it gets !
Matruchus: I already asked about it and at the moment its not clear if they will release the Linux version here. They will check it and come back to us. Crossing fingers that we get the Linux version.
V4V: ajschatz said this about it here:
ajschatz: Yes!
V4V: If the Linux version really comes to GOG, the game is a good candidate for an insta-buy for me. I like its story, style, and approach to RTS very much.

By the way, praise to ajschatz for participating in this thread that strongly.
Well in the livestream yesterday he said that they will probably offer only singleplayer for Linux. You know cause there is no galaxy client for it. I wonder too if they can include at least the split screen option since its basically just a one pc multiplayer option.
It does look interesting but a good idea is not enough. I hope the execution will be at least as good as the premise is. We will see :)
This game looks pretty interesting, so wishlisted
Since it hasn't been posted here yet, plushies of the game's characters are apparently going to be a thing, and there's a survey on which ones people would like to see the most.

If Kasha doesn't get plushed, I'll be seriously disappointed :P
CharlesGrey: Not really a big fan of the RTS genre, but this looks pretty fun. Might check it out when it's released.

Also, that guy in the promo art is rocking a pretty sweet beard. Is he supposed to be a tiger, or mouse or something?
RTS is good genre, the problem is : many 'crappy' RTS games have been released so the genre is excellent but many times the game itself is bad.

good RTS:

age of empires 1+2 classics, (please NO HD version and or steam versions (bad games)
commandos 1+2 classics : again : NO 3d or any remakes
command and conquer: only classic NO remakes NO 3d
red alert 1+2 yuris revenge (classic ) NO 3d NO remakes

So there are excelent RTS but there are not many of these, and i favor 'bitmap' grahphics, not very fond of vectors, voxels or other plastic looking graphics... and many RTS are to 'crowded' screen full of units, gazillions explosions , a total messy screen, only the games above kept the game 'clean'.

Plokite_Wolf: Since it hasn't been posted here yet, plushies of the game's characters are apparently going to be a thing, and there's a survey on which ones people would like to see the most.

If Kasha doesn't get plushed, I'll be seriously disappointed :P
you refer to: "a rich fabric of silk, cotton, wool, or a combination of these, with a long, soft nap"

also cold a plush toy?
If you mean a plush release as a toy it might look great, the game itself would not be aquired by me cause i grew up playing bitmapped games so i dont favor the latest 'graphical engines' they use nowadays.
Post edited July 15, 2017 by gamesfreak64
I'm not a big fan of RTS although I did like the AOE series. This does look very interesting and if they can build on the premise I'd probably buy it.

Odd that the Youtube video is unlisted though.
The_Gypsy: Another day, another pixelated game that looks nothing at all like the games it's supposedly drawing from. Procedural generation for all campaign maps and shader effects to boot.

I like RTS quite a lot but I'll be taking a hard pass on this.
The video is to fuzzy and blurry to get a good look at the graphics, the way this blurry video shows the 'graphics' they look like fuzzy blurred vectorbased graphics (adobe illustrator)
I will pass on this one aswell, and there is too much action onscreen at a time, it also gets very busy, very active, too much going on.

When i played the good old RTS games the screen was crowded but still manageable and i could still see what happend, todays games are .... well lets call them 'different' .... i havent bought a new game or AAA game ( casual looking games like antihero excepted) because they are not the games i can and want to play.

Anyway i will be looking for more good old games to come, games i grew up with, i have lots of 'modern games' but thats because the style is like the old games i played.
gamesfreak64: good RTS:(...)
commandos 1+2 classics : again : NO 3d or any remakes
Commandos games are not RTS.

gamesfreak64: you refer to: "a rich fabric of silk, cotton, wool, or a combination of these, with a long, soft nap"

also cold a plush toy?
If you mean a plush release as a toy it might look great, the game itself would not be aquired by me cause i grew up playing bitmapped games so i dont favor the latest 'graphical engines' they use nowadays.
Uh... what?
nice fresh story, loved the music in the trailer, wishlisted