It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Liberté! Égalité! Spécialité!

<span class="bold">Tooth and Tail</span>, a grimly satirical RTS about organized animal cruelty, is coming soon, DRM-free, to GOG.com.

Time to break the (food) chains! The War for Meat has thrown the animal kingdom into upheaval and everyone is out to subdue and consume their opponents. Customize your faction and lead an army of aggressive fuzzballs through procedurally generated maps to burn, gut, or blast the other woodland creatures into gooey pixels. Then you can go online and brutalize your friends' furry pets, unless they're willing to swing by for some couch split-screen play.

Watch the hairy trailer.
Post edited July 18, 2017 by maladr0Id
Plokite_Wolf: As a nutjob who admittedly scolds over nearly every recent attempt at making an RTS, colour me positively surprised and interested. Finally we get something that isn't an overly simplified C&C clone.

But... how does one play with people who aren't in one's vicinity once the main servers are down?
ajschatz: We have a private alpha community that streams monthly tournaments. Check out the finals of last month's tournament here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5JQbz7mDBM&amp;list=PLZbbOqfA4KdTYSGzFIUoytwrTVRSnEpFC&amp;index=14

TnT is to Starcraft as Heathstone is to Magic: the Gathering. Shorter games, simplified in some respects, but with its own unique charm and playstyle and tons of depth.

At least with currently implementation, online multiplayer is run through GOG, Steam, and PSN servers. I know I know :)
If the GOG, Steam and PSN versions are mutually compatible, then that's the next best thing for the foreseeable future, I guess.

ajschatz: Ya we had LAN support early on but it was super painful to support as we continued to add features, with comparatively low demand, ESPECIALLY since we have splitscreen. It really does play great in splitscreen, we do it all the time at tradeshows. No screencheating! :)
The demand may be low now, but that doesn't mean it won't be larger later on. Future-proofing is what keeps games alive even after official support ends ;)
Plokite_Wolf: As a nutjob who admittedly scolds over nearly every recent attempt at making an RTS, colour me positively surprised and interested. Finally we get something that isn't an overly simplified C&C clone.

But... how does one play with people who aren't in one's vicinity once the main servers are down?
ajschatz: We have a private alpha community that streams monthly tournaments. Check out the finals of last month's tournament here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5JQbz7mDBM&amp;list=PLZbbOqfA4KdTYSGzFIUoytwrTVRSnEpFC&amp;index=14

TnT is to Starcraft as Heathstone is to Magic: the Gathering. Shorter games, simplified in some respects, but with its own unique charm and playstyle and tons of depth.

At least with currently implementation, online multiplayer is run through GOG, Steam, and PSN servers. I know I know :)
mechmouse: Any chance that might get fixed later on.

Personally I feel any developer that excluded a LAN option from a multiplayer game has either purposefully chosen to limit the life of their game or just doesn't believe their game was going to be great.

Me and the misses dust off our copies of Red Alert 2 at least twice a year every year, to fight a cooperative campaign. Red Alert 2 is a great game, many multiplayer games lack a cooperative campaign.

I don't want to buy a game in which a core part of the game relies on something outside my control. I'm hating my son's android tablet, I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to explain to him that he can't play the game because the servers are down or have been discontinued.
ajschatz: Ya we had LAN support early on but it was super painful to support as we continued to add features, with comparatively low demand, ESPECIALLY since we have splitscreen. It really does play great in splitscreen, we do it all the time at tradeshows. No screencheating! :)
I think your underestimating LAN support for PC version of video games on PC that have multiplayer that are being sold on gog.com.

LAN support for PC versions of video games that have multiplayer have a far wider audience and demand on gog.com than on Steam.

On gog.com we cherish the 100% Digital Rights Management (DRM) free ideology and control of servers than the PC gamers on Steam.

It's why we gog.com users also want Dedicated Servers and full control of them with the access to the full server files.
mechmouse: Any chance that might get fixed later on.

Personally I feel any developer that excluded a LAN option from a multiplayer game has either purposefully chosen to limit the life of their game or just doesn't believe their game was going to be great.

Me and the misses dust off our copies of Red Alert 2 at least twice a year every year, to fight a cooperative campaign. Red Alert 2 is a great game, many multiplayer games lack a cooperative campaign.

I don't want to buy a game in which a core part of the game relies on something outside my control. I'm hating my son's android tablet, I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to explain to him that he can't play the game because the servers are down or have been discontinued.
I think split screen would be great in cooperative play, don't tend to do versus.

I don't understand if multiplayer once matched is run peer to peer why did LAN break things.

I think LAN is a lot more important for GoGlodytes than it is for Steamers.
high rated

Ya we had LAN support early on but it was super painful to support as we continued to add features, with comparatively low demand, ESPECIALLY since we have splitscreen. It really does play great in splitscreen, we do it all the time at tradeshows. No screencheating! :)
Johnathanamz: I think your underestimating LAN support for PC version of video games on PC that have multiplayer that are being sold on gog.com.

LAN support for PC versions of video games that have multiplayer have a far wider audience and demand on gog.com than on Steam.

On gog.com we cherish the 100% Digital Rights Management (DRM) free ideology and control of servers than the PC gamers on Steam.

It's why we gog.com users also want Dedicated Servers and full control of them with the access to the full server files.
Oh I get it, totally. We've been working on the game for 3 and a half years... and we plan for tons more support once the game is out! I can't promise that we'll have dedicated servers or LAN once the game is out, but we did try to make sure that all major game features are totally accessible even without servers. But I do understand that online multiplayer with dedicated servers will likely have strong demand!
mechmouse: I think split screen would be great in cooperative play, don't tend to do versus.

I don't understand if multiplayer once matched is run peer to peer why did LAN break things.

The Lobby system is pretty complicated, and running it through LAN uses a unique code path. We iterated a LOT on the lobby. You are right though that the P2P portion is simple!
Post edited July 14, 2017 by ajschatz
Johnathanamz: I think your underestimating LAN support for PC version of video games on PC that have multiplayer that are being sold on gog.com.

ajschatz: Oh I get it, totally. We've been working on the game for 3 and a half years... and we plan for tons more support once the game is out! I can't promise that we'll have dedicated servers or LAN once the game is out, but we did try to make sure that all major game features are totally accessible even without servers. But I do understand that online multiplayer with dedicated servers will likely have strong demand!
mechmouse: I think split screen would be great in cooperative play, don't tend to do versus.

ajschatz: The Lobby system is pretty complicated, and running it through LAN uses a unique code path. We iterated a LOT on the lobby. You are right though that the P2P portion is simple!
Thank you for all of the answers and I have one last question before I go. I have o leave the house now.

How long is the singelplayer campaign? Four hours? Seven hours? Nine hours? Ten hours? More than ten hours?

I'd like the singleplayer campaign to be at least either ten hours long or 10+ hours long.

SKIRMISH gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A7HdE7n7m4

MULTIPLAYER gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rLiWlgFTxo

Couldn't find any campaign gameplay videos.
Post edited July 14, 2017 by Matruchus
ajschatz: Oh I get it, totally. We've been working on the game for 3 and a half years... and we plan for tons more support once the game is out! I can't promise that we'll have dedicated servers or LAN once the game is out, but we did try to make sure that all major game features are totally accessible even without servers. But I do understand that online multiplayer with dedicated servers will likely have strong demand!

The Lobby system is pretty complicated, and running it through LAN uses a unique code path. We iterated a LOT on the lobby. You are right though that the P2P portion is simple!
Johnathanamz: Thank you for all of the answers and I have one last question before I go. I have o leave the house now.

How long is the singelplayer campaign? Four hours? Seven hours? Nine hours? Ten hours? More than ten hours?

I'd like the singleplayer campaign to be at least either ten hours long or 10+ hours long.
It's easily 10 hrs long. While I'm sure some really good players will finish in 10, my guess is 15-20. And it's super replayable.
Matruchus:
SKIRMISH gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A7HdE7n7m4

MULTIPLAYER gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rLiWlgFTxo

Couldn't find any campaign gameplay videos.
We've been pretty private about the campaign. Trying to avoid spoilers!
Johnathanamz: Thank you for all of the answers and I have one last question before I go. I have o leave the house now.

ajschatz: It's easily 10 hrs long. While I'm sure some really good players will finish in 10, my guess is 15-20. And it's super replayable.
This is big. I hope you'll deliver on that, because from what I've seen, the game just cries for an enjoyable story campaign. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!

ajschatz: The Lobby system is pretty complicated, and running it through LAN uses a unique code path. We iterated a LOT on the lobby. You are right though that the P2P portion is simple!
Huge thanks for your time, its really nice when one of the Devs sits on the forum when a release is announced.

The game sounds amazing and definitely a game to be bought for the family pot, I'm sure my son will love this (he's only 9 but loves the C+C series)
ajschatz: It's easily 10 hrs long. While I'm sure some really good players will finish in 10, my guess is 15-20. And it's super replayable.
Plokite_Wolf: This is big. I hope you'll deliver on that, because from what I've seen, the game just cries for an enjoyable story campaign. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!
Bunch of screenshots of single player content here!
https://imgur.com/a/RMtr2
mechmouse: Huge thanks for your time, its really nice when one of the Devs sits on the forum when a release is announced.

The game sounds amazing and definitely a game to be bought for the family pot, I'm sure my son will love this (he's only 9 but loves the C+C series)
I can pretty much GUARANTEE that a 9 year old that likes RTS will like it. Audience reaction when we showed it at Minecon was through the roof. :)
Plokite_Wolf: [...]
Plokite_Wolf: The demand may be low now, but that doesn't mean it won't be larger later on. Future-proofing is what keeps games alive even after official support ends ;)
Lan support is what helps your game survive the tests of time. So maybe try to implement it.

Anyway kudos to the dev for actively taking part in the discussion here.
?? the dev appears to be a GOG veteran!
Oooooh. a Redwall-ish RTS?! Verrryyyyy nice.

As for the art: I like the pixel-style, but to me this game screams for a fully implemented storybook aesthetic (Odin Sphere), though I can understand this being way beyond their budget.

Really hoping that this will be good!
Very interesting game, looking forward to campaign, though I would prefer far less pixelated graphics.
Fortuk: Oooooh. a Redwall-ish RTS?! Verrryyyyy nice.

As for the art: I like the pixel-style, but to me this game screams for a fully implemented storybook aesthetic (Odin Sphere), though I can understand this being way beyond their budget.

Really hoping that this will be good!
We really wanted to harken back to the golden era of RTS (Command and Conquer, Warcraft 2), but use modern graphics cards for an ass-load of shader effects, etc. We also wanted to try to make sure new content was fast to produce, since we'll be adding lots of content post launch!
I will never enjoy RTS, and this time it really hurts as I adore the premise and art in this.