It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Encore, encore!

The Bard's Tale Trilogy remastered is coming soon, DRM-free to GOG.com.
Fine-tune your lutes, adventurers! 'Tis time to sing again the tales of Skara Brae. The place where evil took hold, nearly extinguishing all life, all hope. That very same place where the legend of the six heroes began, only this time with high-res graphics that maintain the originals' tone, audio for spells and attacks, plus certain quality of life improvements like an automap and tooltip popups, among others.
yogsloth: BT3 had auto-mapping and far more ease-of-use features, however... and I highly, highly recommend it.
BT3 is good, provided that you avoid the 16-bit versions (so, unfortunately, the DOS version is not a good choice here).
I am a bit confused. I got one Bard's Tale remastered in my Humble Monthly trove and this one looks quite different from the trailer shown here that looks more like the original games (which I did not like much). So is this first part (which btw also supports German audio and is shown in third person) the volume 1 of this trilogy or are we talking about different games?
Post edited August 14, 2018 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: I am a bit confused. I got one Bard's Tale remastered in my Humble Monthly trove and this one looks quite different from the trailer shown here that looks more like the original games (which I did not like much). So is this first part (which btw also supports German audio and is shown in third person) the volume 1 of this trilogy or are we talking about different games?
Have you played it yet? Part 2 and 3 are coming later this year.
MarkoH01: I am a bit confused. I got one Bard's Tale remastered in my Humble Monthly trove and this one looks quite different from the trailer shown here that looks more like the original games (which I did not like much). So is this first part (which btw also supports German audio and is shown in third person) the volume 1 of this trilogy or are we talking about different games?
fortune_p_dawg: Have you played it yet? Part 2 and 3 are coming later this year.
No, I only played a bit of the first Bard's Tale remastered which was in the Humble Monthly Trove. As I said, I did not like the old Bard Tale games but this one was completely different than the game I knew and what is shown in the trailer for the upcoming trilogy so I thought that maybe these are different games: one being remastered in third person and the other being a remaster of the old games with the same style.
yogsloth: BT3 had auto-mapping and far more ease-of-use features, however... and I highly, highly recommend it.
dtgreene: BT3 is good, provided that you avoid the 16-bit versions (so, unfortunately, the DOS version is not a good choice here).
I'm not sure what version I played. I had 1 and 2 "back in the day" on my trusty Apple ][c, but never played 3 until years later when I got it in an anthology. Probably... 1998-1999 or so. But it worked fine on my PC, whichever version it was.
dtgreene: BT3 is good, provided that you avoid the 16-bit versions (so, unfortunately, the DOS version is not a good choice here).
yogsloth: I'm not sure what version I played. I had 1 and 2 "back in the day" on my trusty Apple ][c, but never played 3 until years later when I got it in an anthology. Probably... 1998-1999 or so. But it worked fine on my PC, whichever version it was.
Assuming it's the DOS version, it may have worked fine, but you likely didn't see dragons breathing fire like they're supposed to, or magic eaters eating magic, or slayers instantly killing. Not to mention that the Stoneblade didn't petrify. Also, let's not forget about fighting sharks on land, outdoor dungeons being dark if you have no light (even during the day), Second Sight not giving much information, Divine Intervention not healing the party, and many other bugs of this sort. Sure, the game worked, but lots of things were broken.
fortune_p_dawg: Have you played it yet? Part 2 and 3 are coming later this year.
MarkoH01: No, I only played a bit of the first Bard's Tale remastered which was in the Humble Monthly Trove. As I said, I did not like the old Bard Tale games but this one was completely different than the game I knew and what is shown in the trailer for the upcoming trilogy so I thought that maybe these are different games: one being remastered in third person and the other being a remaster of the old games with the same style.
Ah, I getcha. You mean the difference between these:

https://www.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale

https://www.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale_trilogy

yeah, the 3rd person one is the 2004 re-imagining (which i have struggled many times to get into despite my love for action-rpgs) and the one released today, which is a full remastering of the original.
MarkoH01: No, I only played a bit of the first Bard's Tale remastered which was in the Humble Monthly Trove. As I said, I did not like the old Bard Tale games but this one was completely different than the game I knew and what is shown in the trailer for the upcoming trilogy so I thought that maybe these are different games: one being remastered in third person and the other being a remaster of the old games with the same style.
fortune_p_dawg: Ah, I getcha. You mean the difference between these:

https://www.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale

https://www.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale_trilogy

yeah, the 3rd person one is the 2004 re-imagining (which i have struggled many times to get into despite my love for action-rpgs) and the one released today, which is a full remastering of the original.
Yes, that was exactly what I was thinking. Well then no need for me for the Trilogy. I liked the re-imagined game but never liked the originals. Thank you for the explanation.
I've been playing the remaster for an hour now and I can honestly say I much prefer it over the original, which I couldn't get into.

And for anyone wondering the possible machine demands, it's actually a 3D game. The city itself, and I assume the dungeons as well, are actually real-time 3D.
tomimt: I've been playing the remaster for an hour now and I can honestly say I much prefer it over the original, which I couldn't get into.

And for anyone wondering the possible machine demands, it's actually a 3D game. The city itself, and I assume the dungeons as well, are actually real-time 3D.
For modern standards, the model complexities are very low. That's fine by me, but it shouldn't demand very much from a post-2008 computer.
Bumping as the trailer for 2nd part just appeared and the game will be released tomorrow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcp_5hfomF8&feature=youtu.be