It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Meet the GOG.com community-inspired NPC for the upcoming RPG epic

UPDATE: A slender column of white smoke rises gently towards the sky: <span class="bold">The community hath spoken</span>! Dominating the competition with a whopping 59% of all votes, Eithne has been chosen as the GOG Hero to join the cast of Divinity: Original Sin 2 – heading to GOG.com day one.

Back in October, we asked you guys to devise a GOG.com character with a unique quest in Divinity: Original Sin 2. We collected tons of incredible ideas, while the talented team at Larian Studios designed three characters to embody the most awesome of those traits and concepts:

- Doryld "The Doryld" Surpass: On a soapbox in the town square, the madman messiah proclaims his divinity. He is the new Divine! His audience of three, two of whom are drunk (the other may be you), ask for proof of his powers. He resists. They insist.

- Fadeland Johns: The veteran masked adventurer drones on about her exploits in the old world. How the young people of today don't know nothin'. She's going out into the world to show 'em how adventure is done proper. Just as soon as she finishes this drink.

- Eithne: You encounter Eithne - masked and cloaked - weighed down with a massive rucksack of knowledge. She has books to trade and books to sell - mostly rare and arcane knowledge better left unlearnt...

Turns out the allure of the wandering librarian was <span class="bold">irresistible</span>. Ancient scrolls? Forbidden knowledge? Enigmatic mask? Yes, please!
Thanks to everyone who helped choose the GOG Hero for Divinity: Original Sin 2 and for making the anticipation for this epic RPG even more unbearable. At least we have <span class="bold">Divinity: Original Sin</span> to keep us busy, right?
Lodium: The regional pricing idea, rich country,s vs poor contry,s is kinda silly annyways.
Vythonaut: Yep, the whole regional pricing thing SUCKS big time, no matter the income of the customers around the world.

theslitherydeee: Hopefully the others are liked enough to sneak into the game anyway, they both sound like pretty fun encounters.
Vythonaut: *drum roll* ...and the GOG Hero contest proved useless! :P :D
Yes rich people should buy Ferrari for milion $ and poor should pay 100$ because that would be fair. The same with games all should be 0,99$ for poor people from poor countries or for lazy people who don't want to work too much to buy a game.
Godamn, between the Austrian presidential election and this, I'm starting to lose my faith in democracy. How can you people not vote for the only, clearly logical choice which is The Doryld? As someone mentioned, he's basically tinyE.
Do you guys hate tinyE?!
Wait, don't answer that!
Elisebathe: Do we know if Eithne will be available for every release or she is only just limited for a gog?
Lemon_Curry: Every version of the game will include her. Check out this thread with Larian's tweet on the matter:
https://www.gog.com/news/design_the_goghero_in_divinity_original_sin_2

From the game's Kickstarter page:

Pledge $10,000

2 backers Limited (3 left of 5)

Divine Noble

Get your name on our title screen (subject to developer approval, of course!), where thousands of players will see it when they boot up the game.

+

Become a high-ranking Divine Magister, Black Ring Sorcerer or Ancient Empire Officer. We will work with you to develop a memorable character whose decisions, backstory, and private motivations will intertwine with-- or confound-- the players'.

+

A signed Kickstarter Collector's Edition, Divine Order Hoodie, hand-written postcard from Bellegar, Portrait of a Fan, Larian Patron, Patron of the Arts, Office Date, Care Package, and One of Us (see tiers for descriptions)

+

You'll be listed in the credits as an Ancient One-tier backer.
Lemon_Curry: Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/description
I see. Thank you! Still glad that they let us vote who to choose.
59%?! That is impressive.
MikeMaximus: Goggy McGogface would have totally won.
Totally. :)
How hard would it be to mod the other two in? I don't own Divinity: Original Sin yet so I don't know how mod friendly it is. The Doryld was my first pick, so I'd definitely want to see him in game. The bigger problem is that you'd need GOG's permission for the characters and feedback on their intentions for the characters to properly implement them. Still, I'd love to at least try. I wonder who you'd need to contact to even think of beginning this though. :)

Edit: So far, it doesn't seem like it will happen. Not unexpected.
Post edited May 13, 2016 by ZaineH
ZaineH: How hard would it be to mod the other two in? I don't own Divinity: Original Sin yet so I don't know how mod friendly it is. The Doryld was my first pick, so I'd definitely want to see him in game. The bigger problem is that you'd need GOG's permission for the characters and feedback on their intentions for the characters to properly implement them. Still, I'd love to at least try. I wonder who you'd need to contact to even think of beginning this though. :)
As far as I recall, the first DOS was quite modable, and adding a character would be quite doable. I expect DOS2 to be much the same. The main problem is that these are to be more than just a character who shows up, but probably has a related quest or two, and ties into the world in other ways. Which should be entirely doable, it is just a lot of work for someone to do, especially for making it a quality experience.
Whoop-dee-shit. Boring McGrimface wins the day. When I make a game I won't let any of you vote about it's content, you joyless sticks-in-the-mud.
Hey, my second favorite has won. That's SOMETHING, eh? :)
Now if you could make him also a drunkard, just to be in line with the others :).
blotunga: Now if you could make him also a drunkard, just to be in line with the others :).
What do you mean "him"?
blotunga: Now if you could make him also a drunkard, just to be in line with the others :).
mrkgnao: What do you mean "him"?
I've read too much Black Company lately...
Gilozard: I have this same problem and now I need to move. D: Ebooks and digital downloads have been a lifesaver, but I still have no idea how I'm going to pack all my stuff up.
deonast: I want to move to ebooks and an ebook reader (e-ink) to replace my paperbacks (still want to keep the hardcover books). Except that I want DRM free ebooks as I don't want to be tied to a particular platform or risk them going out of business and then I find I get a new reader and can't access my content. Need GOG for ebooks I think. I do have the odd ebook that has no DRM that I've picked up through humble bundles but doesn't really replace all the paperbacks I have.
Buy from Baen (sci-fi, fantasy, http://www.baen.com/baenebooks)
Smashwords is also DRM-free but it's self-pub books mostly.

Get classics from Project Gutenberg ( https://www.gutenberg.org/).
You live in Australia? You can even get reasonably recent stuff like Sayers and also specifically Australian authors from Gutenberg Australia. http://gutenberg.net.au/

Lots of DRM-free books on Amazon, kind of like how Steam has some DRM-free games.

Last but not least:
Get Calibre (ebbok library management software) and Apprentice Alf's DRM-removal plugins and strip the DRM out of the books you buy. It is slightly less convenient because you don't get automatic downloads on purchases, but it's more convenient to organize through Calibre anyway. I buy from all kinds of different ebook stores because of Calibre and Apprentice Alf, they're the reason I started buying ebooks really.

I still love paper books, and get them for things I know I want to keep, but ebooks have let me keep reading without the hassles of needing to manage physical books and I love them for it.
Bah. Easily the most boring won. D:
Why wasn't the update a separate post? By changing the original post, the context of the original discussion is destroyed, and it isn't easy for those who just want to read the discussion of the final results.