It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Time4Tea: Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?
While I don't care for that game Devotion and also don't think that censoring is only enforced by China, I'm sympathetic with your cause. Also I see the problems here on gog and am not happy with it. But I doubt that a boycott by a few people in relation to the majority of customers that never or seldom visit gogs forum will bring any change.
Also is censoring already happening here in the forum and especially since last year that should also be a concern. But, as I already wrote I doubt that China is the only major player here. Or since when would China care what political topics some people in a computer game store forum discuss?
Time4Tea: Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?
viperfdl: While I don't care for that game Devotion and also don't think that censoring is only enforced by China, I'm sympathetic with your cause. Also I see the problems here on gog and am not happy with it. But I doubt that a boycott by a few people in relation to the majority of customers that never or seldom visit gogs forum will bring any change.
Also is censoring already happening here in the forum and especially since last year that should also be a concern. But, as I already wrote I doubt that China is the only major player here. Or since when would China care what political topics some people in a computer game store forum discuss?
They do.. *poof* *disappears in white smoke*
Also: Tencent.
Post edited February 01, 2021 by D.Keys
MajicMan: The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company (later known as A&P) was the first company to ever gross $1 billion (US) a year in sales. They created the Supermarket. They were the biggest and most unstoppable company on the planet - until they weren't.

Sears was the largest retailer in the world in 1990. By 2000 they were being bought out in bankruptcy.

Woolworth was the biggest discount big box store, until K-Mart was the biggest and baddest, then it was/is Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart is unstoppable until Amazon.

Apple was in bankruptcy in 2000 and going out of business until Microsoft bought 15% stake for $150 million. Apple is OK now.

Yahoo! was the biggest until Google

Netscape was king until until Internet Explorer which was king until Chrome.

Sony was king of electronics. Until the ipod killed the the walkman brand. And Samsung, LG and others killed the Sony TV brand.

MySpace was the biggest until they weren't.

Banks are too big to fail - until they failed.

Toy R Us is the king of toys until they went out of business.

The idea that people changing spending habits can't move the needle is nonsense.

GOG is said to have 10% of the PC digital game market. If 1% percent of the overall game community changes that is 10% of GOGs base. GOG being smaller more niche than Steam it is going to have the most selective and forceful following so it is most likely that 1 percent of us in the overall digital buying community can move the needle 10% on GOG. Potentially more if we are the largest buyer group with the longest history.
I get your point. The Question is do I want to boykott GOG out of business? Not really till now there aren't really convincing alternatives for me, it is still, to me, the best DRM free place for games. If this goes out of business I think we are not doing the gaming world a service but a disservice. If there were, and I hope there will be because competition is always good, a good alternative place to buy DRM free games, this would be another story.
high rated
The_Puppet94: The Question is do I want to boykott GOG out of business?
I don't think anyone here wants that.
The_Puppet94: The Question is do I want to boykott GOG out of business?
Hexchild: I don't think anyone here wants that.
I at least hope so.
joppo: This time however, no one benefits from Gog shitting on their principles and pathologically lying to their customers.
mrkgnao: Sadly, I'm not sure this is entirely true. Quoting someone who posted against the boycott above: "I'm also a HUGE fan of the Galaxy service and would like to see them focus primarily on this software." (my emphasis). I expect such a person welcomes things like galaxy-only rewards, galaxy-only giveaways, more up-to-date galaxy installers, etc.
They certainly DO enjoy the perks Gog have been piling upon Galaxy users, but that doesn't mean they are benefiting. They are not in a better situation than if Gog stayed true to its (former) principles.

For example, suppose Gog gives a game exclusively through Galaxy. Are joelandsonja really any better than if the same game was given to both Galaxy and non-Galaxy users? They would get the game either way. The same is true of every other way Gog has been showing preference to Galaxy users, except possibly the installers (that Gog still should keep up-to-date, of course).
Post edited February 01, 2021 by joppo
high rated
toxicTom: You clearly haven't. You throw a lot of words around that make you seem competent, but any real dev sees easily through this. You should really stop to embarrass yourself.

And btw. I have sent in Amiga disks to get an updated version, and only s few weeks later I got new disks back with the fix for the game-breaking bug.

And sorry to say that from you wall of text - you should seek professional help. Not everybody out there to get you and intend to screw you over. Mistakes happen, and the more complex the product the more possible points of failure. Sometimes two identical set up systems (from scratch) will behave in wildly different ways. I've been there, I've scratched my head until I lost hair, and I fixed it.

I'm writing software since the 90's btw.
With all the BS I see you write in favour of anti-consumer practices more times than not, I really fail to believe that you are writing software since the 90s. Even better: if that was true, you seriously got brainwashed by the companies you work/have worked for.

You tell people to seek professional help when they speak out of their mind for a pro-consumer approach or try to explain their thing, but then you surprisingly get defensive for companies such as GOG, when BS like NMS happen.

Oh the irony!

amok: thank you, yes that was my point entierly. Now - tell it to the others
I like how you outright believe that EVERY company in the damn world does this, and at the same extent to boot!

Well, SPOILERS: when you end up working for many companies,you can see all the shit that happens under the hood, and can only think "I'm not paid anough for this BS".
low rated
Kyousuke.: I like how you outright believe that EVERY company in the damn world does this, and at the same extent to boot!

Well, SPOILERS: when you end up working for many companies,you can see all the shit that happens under the hood, and can only think "I'm not paid anough for this BS".
I do not belive so, nor do I blanket belive that no one does. The large ones, and the good ones will have procedures for testing and QA, though. Doesn't mean there are lots of rubbish and people taking short cuts as well. And as stated before ,there is more testing and QA done today than in the "good old days".... more =/= all

edit - and I do not like having words put into my mouth... please point out where I "outright" state "EVERY companiy in the damn wordl does this"
Post edited February 01, 2021 by amok
You can add my name but for different more basic reasons. I can't get games to update via galaxy client because it sucks and simply just doesn't work.

Game downloads/installs are slow. Game update downloads are slow and fail more than half the time. Galaxy client updates don't even succeed it can't even update itself. The galaxy client just doesn't work. Randomly locking out all my games making them unplayable because they're caught in a never ending BS loop of download failures is effectively stealing back the games they sold me. Fix it or I want my money back!

Until the site can deliver the most basic products and services it promises I won't be buying from GOG again.
Post edited February 01, 2021 by theseawulf
theseawulf: You can add my name but for different more basic reasons. I can't get games to update via galaxy client because it sucks and simply just doesn't work.

Game downloads/installs are slow. Game update downloads are slow and fail more than half the time. Galaxy client updates don't even succeed it can't even update itself. The galaxy client just doesn't work. Randomly locking out all my games making them unplayable because they're caught in a never ending BS loop of download failures is effectively stealing back the games they sold me. Fix it or I want my money back!

Until the site can deliver the most basic products and services it promises I won't be buying from GOG again.
I am curious what game you own or better for which game these errors you describe occur cause I did not dicover these errors for my games so far (gladly).
high rated
The_Puppet94: I get your point. The Question is do I want to boykott GOG out of business? Not really till now there aren't really convincing alternatives for me, it is still, to me, the best DRM free place for games. If this goes out of business I think we are not doing the gaming world a service but a disservice. If there were, and I hope there will be because competition is always good, a good alternative place to buy DRM free games, this would be another story.
This is a long thread and I don't expect you to have read it all. But seriously, so many people have debunked that concern by now. To summarize: it is inconceivable that GOG would bend to pressure from China in a matter of hours, but somehow also be so obstinate that they would allow the company to go to the wall, rather than accepting the requests of the boycott. The intention is to apply pressure by voting with our wallets so that GOG changes course, not to make GOG fail (which is not going to happen).

As an aside, I find it a little amusing that some people don't want to join the boycott because 'the actions of a small number of forum users isn't going to change anything anyway' and others don't join because they are concerned we are going to put GOG out of business. I guess it's not possible that we could be somewhere in the middle (which again is the aim)?
The_Puppet94: I get your point. The Question is do I want to boykott GOG out of business? Not really till now there aren't really convincing alternatives for me, it is still, to me, the best DRM free place for games. If this goes out of business I think we are not doing the gaming world a service but a disservice. If there were, and I hope there will be because competition is always good, a good alternative place to buy DRM free games, this would be another story.
Time4Tea: This is a long thread and I don't expect you to have read it all. But seriously, so many people have debunked that concern by now. To summarize: it is inconceivable that GOG would bend to pressure from China in a matter of hours, but somehow also be so obstinate that they would allow the company to go to the wall, rather than accepting the requests of the boycott. The intention is to apply pressure by voting with our wallets so that GOG changes course, not to make GOG fail (which is not going to happen).

As an aside, I find it a little amusing that some people don't want to join the boycott because 'the actions of a small number of forum users isn't going to change anything anyway' and others don't join because they are concerned we are going to put GOG out of business. I guess it's not possible that we could be somewhere in the middle (which again is the aim)?
You can add me as " sympathetic to the concept" guy. I get your intentions and I am all for the Devotion release here on GOG, I would buy it instantly just to say f*ck you CCP. I probably wouldn't have bought it without this debakel and wouldn't even noticed the game, but now I would buy it just to say, yes you did the right thing GOG and to support the dev behind this game.
I make few and deliberated game purchases anyway, if I buy it I really want to support the game devs and tell them yes your product is worth the money you are asking for. So I am more the, I vote with my purchase of certain specific games, than I do not buy any games at all person but thats just my view of things. And your cause is a good one we can agree on that :) Let's hope we will see the change we all want to see.
low rated
theseawulf: Game downloads/installs are slow. Game update downloads are slow and fail more than half the time. Galaxy client updates don't even succeed it can't even update itself. The galaxy client just doesn't work. Randomly locking out all my games making them unplayable because they're caught in a never ending BS loop of download failures is effectively stealing back the games they sold me. Fix it or I want my money back!
Not really sure what you are talking about. Usually if Galaxy fails to update a game it means that there is not enough space on the disk. Also what do you mean by "Randomly locking out all my games making them unplayable because they're caught in a never ending BS loop of download failures" ?

Galaxy updates games one by one, so it can hardly "lock out" all your games, also Galaxy doesn't prevent you from starting the games even if they are flagged for update. For better or for worse, Galaxy download all the changes and only once everything is downloaded it tries to do the update. That's the reason why it usually requires a lot more space than Steam but the good thing with that is that it only tries to update the game once everything is ready and it only needs to replace some files. So I don't see how it can make game un-playable.

Also at worse if really your connection is too bad to allow you to use auto-update you can always download the patch from the offline installers and run the update manually, Galaxy will detect that the game is now updated and won't try to update it anymore. (it will maybe download a couple of MB but normally nothing more.)
high rated
MajicMan: SNIP
I definitely DO NOT want GOG to go out of business. As I posted very early in this thread, I want GOG to succeed.

GOG got to this point by offering Good Old Games DRM Free. Then they expanded and started offering new games (which was even more awesome). Then they made the GOG downloader (was fantastic).

But now GoG has lost what made them successful. They attack their customer base, no longer support offline installers, eliminated GOG downloader.

The group of us boycotting or looking for alternatives want GOG to be great again, To do what they did for the first 9 years of business.
MajicMan: I definitely DO NOT want GOG to go out of business. As I posted very early in this thread, I want GOG to succeed.
As it is written:

"Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful."