It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mrkgnao: For me, personally, galaxy has no feature that I want, so the only thing I would get from using it is my games taking just a bit longer to load, which is why I don't use it (or any other client).
The_Puppet94: The feature for me, why I use Galaxy is the convenience that all my latest released games which got big patches they simple need to improve the game, are automatic. I don't need to do a thing. I do not launch my games with the galaxy client, I launche them in their game files with their .exe I dont care for online updated gamefiles and whatever else the features of galaxy are. The only feature selling it to me is the automatic updates. I dont need to check all my games if there is a patch or whatever its taken care of.
As far as I know, galaxy auto-updates only games that are installed on one's computer. Since I have only one game installed at a time, which I uninstall as soon as I finish playing it, this is practically useless for me. Instead, I use gogrepoc, which auto-updates all my 1700+ games on my external HDD, as needed, without me having to check anything.

mrkgnao: For me, yes. What I want to avoid is this current lottery where, buying a game, I don't know whether it has single player online walls.
The_Puppet94: We can agree that labeling games properly for this "hidden" multiplayer walls in single player games would be nice so we customers can simple choose if we want that or not. And yeah I think this is bad but its not an DRM issue.
I wouldn't call it "nice"; I would call it "basic".
Post edited January 25, 2021 by mrkgnao
The_Puppet94: A clear definition how GOG interprets DRM would help us cutsomers to better understand their values and it would be easier for us to compare if their values match our personal values.
The site looks like it's not loading properly at the moment, but have you considered GOG's "sister site" https://fckdrm.com ?

They do a compare/contrast between DRM-free and DRM.

Backup, copy, use anywhere
No one else gets a say in how you store and access your media. You bought it, you own it.

Access offline
Don't rely on your internet connection. If not on principle, then for stability and convenience.

Keep your consumer rights
Don’t hand your rights over to corporations that wouldn't trust you. Some relationships are based on trust, others on control and suspicion.

Support digital preservation
By choosing the right sources, you know that the content you bought will remain with you – no matter when it was created or for what hardware.

Lose all access, just like that
Online ownership checks can, and do, fail. Scheduled downtime, technical issues, and corporations shutting down are just everyday facts of life.
Additionally, to be featured on the site, a source of media must be "100% DRM-free".

Of course, to anyone examining this issue honestly, it is clear GOG does not meet their "own" standards set forth on FCKDRM.com.

So I don't think it matters having their definition or not. They obviously couldn't care less about it.
low rated
Maybe if we change the name to Girlcotting 2021 we would get more supporters.
deleted
Post edited January 25, 2021 by zeragrin
low rated
SuperLibby72: Thank you for explaining WeirdoGeek. I do not agree with steam being the lesser evil. Steam has removed games before. China makes a lot of money for steam, I won't be surprised if they start removing games to please CCP. Just sounds like you have too much invested into Steam, which I understand fully.

On a side note, steam can handle backlash and survive, unlike GOG. Remember Steam's net worth is $10 billion, compared to GOG $34 million.

I got all my refunds in one business day from GOG. Maybe it was during the downtime. Smaller companies will take a little longer to do things compared to someone like steam.

Edit: I don't hate steam and still use them for MP games.
WeirdoGeek: I didn't say Steam didn't pull games of the store. I said they only do so when the devs request it. They don't it for the sorry reason GOG is doing it. I also said that I completely understood and had no problem with wanting a market in China. However, I refuse to believe that these "many gamers" make up a big enough number to basically speak for China as a whole and in fact, there is solid reason to believe these many gamers are just trolls, bots and people who were simply hired in the name of making the response bigger. If GOG has the means to disprove these theories, they are more than welcome to speak up and do so.

I'm well aware no company is perfect and that no matter which one you side with, it is practically guaranteed you are going to have to face the situation of them doing something you don't like and having to take the bad with the good. With Steam, I've yet to face a situation so bad that I simply cannot support them anymore.

This sorry situation where GOG canceled the release and gave a less than half-assed reason is unacceptable. Saying it is happening because "many gamers" demanded it only served to make them look like they got bullied by a bunch of trolls and caved in to their demands. I don't want the future of gaming to be one where people like the "gamers" that did this nonsense decide or at least have a major say in what games the stores are allowed to sell and I choose to fight this by not giving GOG my money.
It's just a little silly you want to boycott GOG over not selling a game that was never in their store. But you are okay supporting a company working with CCP directly. Value made the special steam just for china so that CCP can control and censorship it's own people. But I guess since this is not affecting you, steam the lesser evil. If you want to support steam I don't care, just pointing out they're no better than GOG.
low rated
SuperLibby72: It's just a little silly you want to boycott GOG over not selling a game that was never in their store. But you are okay supporting a company working with CCP directly. Value made the special steam just for china so that CCP can control and censorship it's own people. But I guess since this is not affecting you, steam the lesser evil. If you want to support steam I don't care, just pointing out they're no better than GOG.
if chinese want ccp thats their choice , so steam making a steam for them only is a good solution to keep ccp out from our games
yup thats not affecting me mostly , at least not as much by bending the knee to ccp censorship with "many gamers" ordering removal of games from the store
rjbuffchix: So I don't think it matters having their definition or not. They obviously couldn't care less about it.
It does, in the sense that "I want you to follow this specific but arbitrary standard" carries much less oomph than "I want you to follow the standard that you yourselves have set forth".
high rated
WeirdoGeek: I didn't say Steam didn't pull games of the store. I said they only do so when the devs request it. They don't it for the sorry reason GOG is doing it. I also said that I completely understood and had no problem with wanting a market in China. However, I refuse to believe that these "many gamers" make up a big enough number to basically speak for China as a whole and in fact, there is solid reason to believe these many gamers are just trolls, bots and people who were simply hired in the name of making the response bigger. If GOG has the means to disprove these theories, they are more than welcome to speak up and do so.

I'm well aware no company is perfect and that no matter which one you side with, it is practically guaranteed you are going to have to face the situation of them doing something you don't like and having to take the bad with the good. With Steam, I've yet to face a situation so bad that I simply cannot support them anymore.

This sorry situation where GOG canceled the release and gave a less than half-assed reason is unacceptable. Saying it is happening because "many gamers" demanded it only served to make them look like they got bullied by a bunch of trolls and caved in to their demands. I don't want the future of gaming to be one where people like the "gamers" that did this nonsense decide or at least have a major say in what games the stores are allowed to sell and I choose to fight this by not giving GOG my money.
SuperLibby72: It's just a little silly you want to boycott GOG over not selling a game that was never in their store. But you are okay supporting a company working with CCP directly. Value made the special steam just for china so that CCP can control and censorship it's own people. But I guess since this is not affecting you, steam the lesser evil. If you want to support steam I don't care, just pointing out they're no better than GOG.
I know this isn't going to the heart of the issue but still -

Steam don't sell themselves as 'for da gamers by da gamers!' then go onto to say 'well, we would sell the game, but the gamers said not to'

The problem GOG has ran into is a wider angle of their issues in general - They don't know how to communicate.

You can't blow all the trumpets saying you're for preservation and have bios like ''Truly gamer friendly DRM-free online gaming platform. Classic & new PC games, great offers, friendly staff, awesome community!'' then go on to cite pulling a game due to 'da gamers' while leaving behind a chunk of offline installers and then also displaying a lack of inability, or care, to talk to your community. This is where the backlash comes from
low rated

They promised Red Candle that they were and they made an official announcement and store page for it, is the thing. We didn't just look at GOG and completely out of the blue go "YOU! SELL DEVOTION NOW OR WE'RE BOYCOTTING YOU!". Also, regardless of how many trolls insist this is "just a walking simulator" or "some flash in the pan everyone is going to forget about next week", a lot of people really want this game to see release.

I've been waiting myself since pretty much the beginning. I remember waiting so long for that texture to get replaced and then being so devastated and a little pissed at Red Candle when they made that tweet saying they decided they weren't putting the game back up after all.

As another user has said before, if China wants to censor or ban the sale of certain games on THEIR OWN storefronts, that's their business and they wouldn't be the only country to do this. Their troll-bot army should not be making this decision for the rest of the world.

Also, exactly how does this Chinese Steam differ from ours and how do I know it isn't the case for other countries to have their own version of Steam as well?
Linko64: I know this isn't going to the heart of the issue but still -

Steam don't sell themselves as 'for da gamers by da gamers!' then go onto to say 'well, we would sell the game, but the gamers said not to'

The problem GOG has ran into is a wider angle of their issues in general - They don't know how to communicate.

You can't blow all the trumpets saying you're for preservation and have bios like ''Truly gamer friendly DRM-free online gaming platform. Classic & new PC games, great offers, friendly staff, awesome community!'' then go on to cite pulling a game due to 'da gamers' while leaving behind a chunk of offline installers and then also displaying a lack of inability, or care, to talk to your community. This is where the backlash comes from
It's little off topic on what I was saying but get what your saying.
WeirdoGeek: They promised Red Candle that they were and they made an official announcement and store page for it, is the thing. We didn't just look at GOG and completely out of the blue go "YOU! SELL DEVOTION NOW OR WE'RE BOYCOTTING YOU!". Also, regardless of how many trolls insist this is "just a walking simulator" or "some flash in the pan everyone is going to forget about next week", a lot of people really want this game to see release.

I've been waiting myself since pretty much the beginning. I remember waiting so long for that texture to get replaced and then being so devastated and a little pissed at Red Candle when they made that tweet saying they decided they weren't putting the game back up after all.

As another user has said before, if China wants to censor or ban the sale of certain games on THEIR OWN storefronts, that's their business and they wouldn't be the only country to do this. Their troll-bot army should not be making this decision for the rest of the world.

Also, exactly how does this Chinese Steam differ from ours and how do I know it isn't the case for other countries to have their own version of Steam as well?
Do not remember Gabe Newell going to china to expand steam? Steam was block in china for sometime. You can find spared folder in steam for china ( called steamchina ) https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/kd47xh/steamchina/ China has there own version of steam to control it.
Post edited January 25, 2021 by SuperLibby72
Just came for my weekly-ish update. Has GoG said anything or are they still choking on Whinnie's honey?
Zegpi: Just came for my weekly-ish update. Has GoG said anything or are they still choking on Whinnie's honey?
I think they're choking on the whole jar.
low rated
Linko64: I know this isn't going to the heart of the issue but still -

SuperLibby72: It's little off topic on what I was saying but get what your saying.
WeirdoGeek: They promised Red Candle that they were and they made an official announcement and store page for it, is the thing. We didn't just look at GOG and completely out of the blue go "YOU! SELL DEVOTION NOW OR WE'RE BOYCOTTING YOU!". Also, regardless of how many trolls insist this is "just a walking simulator" or "some flash in the pan everyone is going to forget about next week", a lot of people really want this game to see release.

SuperLibby72: Do not remember Gabe Newell going to china to expand steam? Steam was block in china for sometime. You can find spared folder in steam for china ( called steamchina ) https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/kd47xh/steamchina/ China has there own version of steam to control it.
Well, it's my opinion that Steam is still the lesser evil and this special store does not excuse GOG from what they did. I not saying that's what you said. This is just what I believe.
SuperLibby72: It's little off topic on what I was saying but get what your saying.

Do not remember Gabe Newell going to china to expand steam? Steam was block in china for sometime. You can find spared folder in steam for china ( called steamchina ) https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/kd47xh/steamchina/ China has there own version of steam to control it.
WeirdoGeek: Well, it's my opinion that Steam is still the lesser evil and this special store does not excuse GOG from what they did. I not saying that's what you said. This is just what I believe.
Fair enough and agree doesn't excuse GOG from what they did. Maybe one-day GOG change for the better.
low rated
Time4Tea: Which is the main reason I have no interest in installing an integrated client application on my computer.
I hear ya

=-=-=

Hexchild: This is basically what I was trying to get at - it would have to be something anti-consumer like that (or worse). I can for sure think of many other possible, similarly anti-consumer reasons, for example to be able to assert end-of-life of a game (by uninstalling it permanently) or to show personalized ads based on data mining without your express input or permission. I can see the appeal for a company to do such things, and I definitely disagree that they "have to" do any of that.
Seeing as they're public and have shareholders, they have to maximize profits as much as possible BY LAW in some countries. So they may "have" to do it if Poland is one such country.

(not that I agree with such, btw)

=-=-=

HappyPunkPotato: In that case it wasn't much of an incentive to install Galaxy anyway so they may as well have given it to everyone again instead of further irritating the anti-launcher crowd.
I hear ya as well.

That said, the non galaxy crowd(of which I am a part) is sadly a very small part of the total userbase here, so we likely mean less to them as a result.
Post edited January 26, 2021 by GamezRanker