It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Elmofongo: So basically fuck me and my 600 game library?
Your library can be backed up and is in no way tied to GOG. It is in no danger whatsoever. If you're not interested in doing that and consider your games permanently tied to the service- that's on you, and I really don't know why you'd buy a single game here in the first place.

Anyway, you can't expect other customers to remain patrons of a store they are dissatisified with for your sake. That's insane.

Finally, as I said above, there is no logical scenario in which this boycott causes GOG to go out of business. That's also insane.
Post edited January 17, 2021 by Breja
SCPM: I might be getting too conspiratorial here, but it's this series of events that leaves me with a lot of questions. So one or two staff members fluent in Chinese advertise the release on Weibo, and the response is supposedly so bad that the staff members are able to convince management within hours to cancel the global release instead of just not making it available for sale in China? There's got to be some other contacts that reached out to GOG, there's no way they just made this decision on the interpretation of some comments on Weibo.
fronzelneekburm: This isn't conspirational in the slightest. Lots of unanswered questions here. And unless those get answered (or Devotion gets released), gog can say adios to my dineros.

Elmofongo: So basically fuck me and my 600 game library?
fronzelneekburm: Yup. As harsh as it sounds. Best thing is to not put yourself in a position where you can get fucked (ie. buy all your games in one place).

Look at it this way: I got 1500+ games here and I'm at a point where I'm honestly not sure what upsets me more: The thought of having flushed all that money down the toilet if this website goes under or the thought of having given money to these craven cowards in the first place. (I try to take consolation in the fact that I bought most of that stuff years ago, when gog was a very different website, staffed by very different people)

Elmofongo: GOG is not worth it because of one game not being added here, and Galaxy, and Cyberpunk blowing?
fronzelneekburm: Yup. That and a veritable shitton of other reasons. You want a list?
You know what I honestly think.

I'm tired, I'm tired of all this shit when it comes gaming. I'm tired of the controversies, I'm tired of gamer outrage, I'm tired of the politics and ethics involved, I'm tired of seeing everything I cherished burned to ashes.

And I'm tired of hearing the samething that its all the developers and publishers fault and gamers are blameless and not entitled.

I just want to play the games I want and have a safe and secure access to them. Like I still have Arma 2 DRM Free in my GOG account, and if they go, so goes that DRM free version of the game for me.

I've suffered through this with Resident Evil, I suffered through this with Blizzard, I suffered through this with Total War games, I've suffered through this with everything for the past 15 years in gaming.

And now I am just fucking sick of it all. And yearn for the good old days when people just want to play games and not bitch about EA, Activision, and now CDProjeckt RED on Forums and Reddits and Twitters and Youtubers spamming me with how bad gaming is with thier obnoxious clickbait thumbnails.
And you know what I truly, honestly believe?

The internet has ruined gaming for me.

Digital Distribution, Accounts requiring your personal information, Download Speeds, Latency, Constant connection requrements. Developers getting lazy that they can patch it at a later time.

Whatever happened to the days when we just go in a store and buy a physical product and go home and play it, no online bullshit that hinders your enjoyment of things.

Now everything needs to have an internet connection for some baffling reason
Post edited January 17, 2021 by Elmofongo
high rated
Elmofongo: You know what I honestly think.

I'm tired, I'm tired of all this shit when it comes gaming. I'm tired of the controversies, I'm tired of gamer outrage, I'm tired of the politics and ethics involved, I'm tired of seeing everything I cherished burned to ashes.

And I'm tired of hearing the samething that its all the developers and publishers fault and gamers are blameless and not entitled.

I just want to play the games I want and have a safe and secure access to them. Like I still have Arma 2 DRM Free in my GOG account, and if they go, so goes that DRM free version of the game for me.

I've suffered through this with Resident Evil, I suffered through this with Blizzard, I suffered through this with Total War games, I've suffered through this with everything for the past 15 years in gaming.

And now I am just fucking sick of it all. And yearn for the good old days when people just want to play games and not bitch about EA, Activision, and now CDProjeckt RED on Forums and Reddits and Twitters and Youtubers spamming me with how bad gaming is with thier obnoxious clickbait thumbnails.
I'm sorry mate, bu you're being hysterial and irrational. You outright refuse to address any serious point anyone is making (including the fact that you cellection is in no danger), and you seem to be conflating the issues brought up here with some various inane twitter hysterias. I understand being tired with the vapid bullshit and made up outrage internet is so good at manufacturing, but is not it. GOG has done a ton of quite simply unethical things. And some poeple are fed up. That's not "clickbait".

And I'm sorry to say this, but if anyone here is acting "entitled" it's you when you're demanding others to not act on their principles, to not hold a company accauntable for anything, because it might ruin your fun.
Post edited January 17, 2021 by Breja
Elmofongo: You know what I honestly think.

Breja: I'm sorry mate, bu you're being hysterial and irrational. You outright refuse to address any serious point anyone is making (including the fact that you cellection is in no danger), and you seem to be conflating the issues brought up here with some various inane twitter hysterias. I understand being tired with the vapid bullshit and made up outrage internet is so good at manufacturing, but is not it. GOG has done a ton of quite simply unethical things. And some poeple are fed up. That's not "clickbait".

And I'm sorry to say this, but if anyone here is acting "entitled" it's you when you're demanding others to not act on their principles, to not hold a company accauntable for anything, because it might ruin your fun.
When will it end though? For me it never seems to end because it feels like an endless cycle right now.

Will we ever regain any trust and reconciliation with anything in the gaming industry?

Mabye not so long as all this continues in perpetuity. I sometimes feel like this is a hopeless thing and there is no solution to all the problems that brought about things like Devotion not being here and Cyberpunk being a mess.
Post edited January 17, 2021 by Elmofongo
high rated
thefallenalchemist: I would be wary of Zoom. I looked through it and I just see a lot of potential for disaster there. I don't think they're ready for the big time, but am fully aware of the situation. One thing that you just aren't considering (and has been true of everything I've observed so far) is that the more popular and mainstream something becomes, the more likely it is to jump the shark and fall prey to corporatism. I'm a proud capitalist, but even I can see when corporations become too big for their britches and fail. Perhaps this is going on with GOG.
It's not that I'm not considering it. I'm sure you are correct that the underlying cause of their recent unpopular decisions is that they have grown too big and are now part of a large public corporation, which values short-term profit above all else. However, I consider it irrelevant to my boycott. I strongly dislike many of GOG's recent decisions and I am not going to continue supporting their store unless they change course. The underlying reasons for those decisions are just not relevant to me. Why should I care?

I don't agree with those (not necessarily you) that imply we should give GOG a free pass because 'they are a big corporation now, and this is just how big corporations behave'. Imo, even large corporations should listen to and respect their customers and uphold certain core values they may have built their businesses on in the first place.

thefallenalchemist: At the end of the day, GOG is going to have a tough decision to make. They will either have to sever their partnership with Epic and Tencent, or they will lose customers and support worldwide. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Yes, they have a tough decision to make. That's life.

Breja: It never even occured to me before that you can hold someone hostage with a colelction of DRM-free ofline installers. It's so absurd it just boggles the mind. And yet pointing that out only got me downvoted :D

It's actually even more absurd than just the offline installers part. I mean, what's to be afraid here? That the boycott will hurt GOG so badly they will shut down? Not that it seems like a realistic scenario in the first place, but if it gets anywhere near hurting their bottom line so badly they will react to it and change to bring back the boycotting customers. They would not continue on a suicidal course just to do... what exactly? Stand on the principle of abandoning their former principles?
Bingo! I find the suggestion that GOG would bend their knee immediately when their access to one country's market is threatened, but wouldn't comply with boycott demands if their entire business was at risk of going under to be rather ridiculous.

They have literally just shown us they will bend quickly, if their bottom line is put under enough pressure.
Post edited January 17, 2021 by Time4Tea
Elmofongo: When will it end though? For me it never seems to end because it feels like an endless cycle right now.
Well, it probably is. GOG were the 'good guys'. They grew. They turned bad. Time to look for another small store that still has some principles. (zoom-platform) Until they grow too and maybe turn bad too. Then move on. Repeat.

It's not too bad. GOG had a good run that lasted quite a while. Looking for a new store every 10 years is bearable. After all, we all had the possibility to back up our offline installers so that we won't lose them when GOG makes Galaxy mandatory for running their games.
low rated
Breja: GOG has done a ton of quite simply unethical things.
Like what exactly ?

Refusing to sell a game, considering that optional cosmetic content requiring a connection is not DRM, promoting their client, or even not removing a game from sales after four years just because of a recently added optional mission is online only, is in no way "unethical".

You might disagree with it, you might consider it's worth to boycott them because of it, but calling it "unethical" is silly.
Post edited January 17, 2021 by Gersen
Elmofongo: When will it end though? For me it never seems to end because it feels like an endless cycle right now.
Lifthrasil: Well, it probably is. GOG were the 'good guys'. They grew. They turned bad. Time to look for another small store that still has some principles. (zoom-platform) Until they grow too and maybe turn bad too. Then move on. Repeat.

It's not too bad. GOG had a good run that lasted quite a while. Looking for a new store every 10 years is bearable. After all, we all had the possibility to back up our offline installers so that we won't lose them when GOG makes Galaxy mandatory for running their games.
Its not just them, its all gaming. No one likes the big deal developers anymore these days because they all fucked up.

And what makes you think Zoom won't go downhill to. Go to the next, and the next while burning bridges of the last one?
I'm sympathetic with Time4Tea but I'm not going to boycott. GoG is the least worse when it comes to game stores so there isn't really any viable alternative with a good selection of games.

The push for Galaxy is part of a larger global trend. We see it everywhere, for example in my country banks are constantly trying to make banking apps mandatory. It' s really annoying being forced into closed gardens and apps offering no real value. These are simply marketing tools disguised as handy or mandatory value adding elements in your life while being far from it.
Breja: GOG has done a ton of quite simply unethical things.
Gersen: Like what exactly ?

Refusing to sell a game, considering that optional cosmetic content requiring a connection is not DRM, promoting their client, or even not removing a game from sales after four years just because of a recently added optional mission is online only, is in no way "unethical".

You might disagree with it, you might consider it's worth to boycott them because of it, but calling it "unethical" is silly.
Mabye not those things, but the crunching of the working developers is unethical
fronzelneekburm: All this is 100% on gog.
Absolutely spot on.
Elmofongo: And you know what I truly, honestly believe?

Digital Distribution,
I understand much of your frustrations...
But :
You do not sound as much of a game collector to me if that's your opinion..
I have a serious collection of games and software and it takes up I do not know how many giant 'maxi tower' cardboard boxes, movers boxes and big scanner cardboard boxes...

I find the 'digital distribution' so great and especially because it also eliminates the use of CD and DVD (also you sound as you never had a cracked CD/DVD) . Now I can legally have my games collection on a hard disk drive (at least my GOG collection), it takes up very little space compared to the physical stuff and most of the time it is easier to find without having to traverse through I do not know how many big cardboard boxes...

I do agree however that the "need for online" is pain when required and also there ought to be a repository where all our stuff is even after GOG is no more if !
Post edited January 17, 2021 by FiatLux
Elmofongo: And you know what I truly, honestly believe?

Digital Distribution,
FiatLux: I find the 'digital distribution' so great and especially because it also eliminates the use of CD and DVD (also you sound as you never had a cracked CD/DVD) .
Oh I get that, I ABSOLUTELY get it.

Do you know how much I hate it when I buy a used game off of Amazon and the disc shows up as not functional because its too dirty or scratched up? (Who the hell are handling these discs? Animals?)

But I still find something that's purely digital...even more fragile. Like they can go away if say the machine its being used on its not functional, or the servers that host the product to download it is rendered offline (looks at the Nintendo Wii E-shop) or if you lost your machine and such.

Or you run into a situation where you run out of space on your Hardrive or SSD and have to delete things in order to make space for new ones.
low rated
Elmofongo: Its not just them, its all gaming. No one likes the big deal developers anymore these days because they all fucked up.

And what makes you think Zoom won't go downhill to. Go to the next, and the next while burning bridges of the last one?
The thing to understand is that companies are companies, not charity, or moral crusaders.

They do what they need to survive, and, despite what some peoples seems to thing, not just to please their shareholders or clueless board members but also for their employees sake.

Peoples often forget that having principle is nice when you are behind your keyboard at home and the biggest risk is you no longer purchasing a couple of video games, but when staying true to your principles can cost the livelihood of tens or hundreds of your employee then decision is a lot harder to make.

I am pretty sure that if someday Gog really decide to drop the DRM-free principle it won't be because Marcin or other have been corrupted by money or because of evil shareholders but simply because they consider that it's the only for Gog to survive. (I wold stop purchasing from them if they do though)

That is true for Gog, Zoom, or any company, unless of course the boss of said company is billionaire, does it as a hobby and doesn't need said company to be profitable.