It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
fronzelneekburm: So many things they could improve... and instead they decide to double down on their "curated storefront" hogwash (which has arguably already cost them countless sales).
On the plus side, it raises expectations that they're actually taking a close look at the product. I doubt that's the case, but the next time they pull a boner like the Hitman fiasco, they won't be able to credibly claim that it slipped through the cracks.
low rated
Zrevnur: Profit is very bad though - GOG is making significant losses (*) - even more so than in the earlier quarters 2021.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: IMO I think that explains why they publicly sort-of addressed the Hitman GOTY debacle, instead of completely ignoring it and totally sweeping it under the rug like they did with their previous Devotion debacle.

They must have been looking at their financial numbers, and realized that they literally can't afford to keep damaging their brand name and causing it to be dragged through the mud while they ignore the catastrophes they caused by outraging their customers, because they realized that ignoring those things was causing them to lose way too many customers.
I mean there was no mention of it beyond forums, I think they saw it has controlled to begin with. That's the problem with being short-sighted on such topics though
high rated
It's baffling to me that you can have that amount of revenue and somehow make a loss. It's not like people aren't buying, they are just wasting all the money. What are they spending it all on? Diversity training? Failed attempts to make anyone care about galaxy?
drallim: It's baffling to me that you can have that amount of revenue and somehow make a loss. It's not like people aren't buying, they are just wasting all the money. What are they spending it all on? Diversity training? Failed attempts to make anyone care about galaxy?
Now this is the real question.
fronzelneekburm: So many things they could improve... and instead they decide to double down on their "curated storefront" hogwash (which has arguably already cost them countless sales).
richlind33: On the plus side, it raises expectations that they're actually taking a close look at the product. I doubt that's the case, but the next time they pull a boner like the Hitman fiasco, they won't be able to credibly claim that it slipped through the cracks.
Am I evil for hoping they fuck up this bad again to make sure the trend is noticed?
CD Projekt says its GOG games storefront will put more focus on offering “a handpicked selection of games” and transfer some developers to other projects, following ongoing financial losses at the division.
Wouldn't they have been better off just delaying CP2077 and having a better game put out that didn't question everyone's goodwill on CDPR?

If they could have convinced Guerrilla to make Horizon Dawn work on Win7 i'd have considered breaking my boycott. That and destroying what games work on what systems and instead pushing everything 'Windows 10' especially for people who hate being pushed to new OSes or versions of software, quite annoys me.

Though my boycott was less to make them turn the boat and more due to censorship, I'll continue not giving them a dime (or Disney, or Microsoft) for the foreseeable future.

richlind33: On the plus side, it raises expectations that they're actually taking a close look at the product. I doubt that's the case, but the next time they pull a boner like the Hitman fiasco, they won't be able to credibly claim that it slipped through the cracks.
Maybe. The problem of having small teams deal with large customer bases and lots of games means they probably put less effort into each game than they used to. Which is sad.
low rated
kmanitou: Am I evil for hoping they fuck up this bad again to make sure the trend is noticed?
I'd like to see them turn things around, but that isn't going to happen without getting a competent management team.

The entire industry is burning down as we watch, due mostly to corruption, which is exemplified rather perfectly by Bobby Kotick.
rtcvb32: Maybe. The problem of having small teams deal with large customer bases and lots of games means they probably put less effort into each game than they used to. Which is sad.
GOG's OK with script kiddies running amok on it's website, and I think that says just about everything that needs saying. It isn't a question of having insufficient resources, it's how they've managed their resources. They don't learn from their mistakes.
low rated
fronzelneekburm: We're winning, boyos!!!
Are you really, though?

You are right that GOG is in dire financial straits, so in one sense, yes, the Boycotters could be considered to be "winning" from that perspetive.

But if you fully win, and GOG gets shut down, then your GOG games library becomes much less secure, given that you would never be able to access your games from GOG's servers again in the future.

Even if you have backup(s) of your games, having an extra backup that is perpetually available from GOG's servers would still provide much more security for your GOG library than would having your own backup(s) alone and with no support from GOG's servers.

Therefore, for those reasons, even if the Boycotters win, they still lose.

Having said that, I'm not intending to bash the idea of boycotting GOG, as I can understand the very good reasons for why many former customers do that, and I am supportive of those reasons.

But it's a complicated situation, since GOG going down will be a Loss for the Boycotters as well.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: But if you fully win, and GOG gets shut down,
That's not "fully winning" because that's not the goal. As was already explained about a zillion times.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: But it's a complicated situation, since GOG going down will be a Loss for the Boycotters as well.
The question is: will GOG be stupid enough to let that happen? Or will they finally mend their ways when they are in danger of continued financial losses or even bankruptcy?

The smart thing to do would be to look at the reasons why less people buy on GOG nowadays and then to remedy those reasons. ... But then again this is the GOG management we are talking about. 'Smart' isn't really within their abilities. Otherwise GOG wouldn't be where it is now.

But the glimmer of hope is, that they do react to pressure once it's big enough. They rowed back on the attempt of more DRM with Hitman. After the pressure was big enough. Maybe it will eventually penetrate their skulls that abandoning DRM-free will hurt their revenue. Then they'll have to decide whether they want to go down and be sold, or whether they finally try to fix GOG. The latter is, what I would call winning. The goal of the boycott isn't to destroy GOG, but to send a message in the only language that the GOG management understands: lost revenue.
Post edited November 30, 2021 by Lifthrasil
low rated
Ancient-Red-Dragon: But if you fully win, and GOG gets shut down,
Breja: That's not "fully winning" because that's not the goal. As was already explained about a zillion times.
And a zillion times the explanaton will be false. The goal of this topic is just harming the image and reputation of GOG as a DRM free store, make noise, be happy if things go wrong and make people GOG agnostic for the sake of competence. Because the loss of revenue for GOG goes to Steam or others. There is not real big alternative to GOG DRM Free, so the people abandoning GOG is not because of DRM but probably because they do not consider it mportant.

It is funny to see different interpretatins about suppossed losses in GOG accoding to their fobias and filias. Ignoring the most important one. In the big numbers people consider Steam more convenent of simply they do not mind.
low rated
Breja: That's not "fully winning" because that's not the goal. As was already explained about a zillion times.
Gudadantza: And a zillion times the explanaton will be false.
>sigh< Whatever.
low rated
Ancient-Red-Dragon: But it's a complicated situation, since GOG going down will be a Loss for the Boycotters as well.
Lifthrasil: The question is: will GOG be stupid enough to let that happen? Or will they finally mend their ways when they are in danger of continued financial losses or even bankruptcy?
Please don't underestimate GOG stupidity and lazyness.

Let's say the Boycott is certainly being reflected already in the income statement (not just a coincidence hapening in the last 2 quarters). But what about the bullets on post #1? Are those mitigated/resolved already after almost a year?

Not much has changed IMO and expecting the Money strugle alone forces GOG to start changing before death is wishful thinking.
Maybe the boycott needs more leadership, more /aproaching/negotiation with the GOG management.
Or at least draw a line of the lowest limit before the ship sinks everybody onboard... you know: mitigate the very well observed stupidity on the other side :)

Otherwise, I join Ancient-Red-Dragon: Everyone here (GOG Co & all customers) will irremediably lose
The objective of the blacklist isn't to obliterate GOG, yet to communicate something specific in the main language that the GOG the executives gets it: lost income.