It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
paladin181: They've done it to themselves. They already ruined DRM free. They are no friend to DRM free any longer. I'd be cool if they go out of business. If you don't screw your customers, and they won't screw you back.
Krogan32: Fearmongering & hyperbole. Typical.
You should learn the definitions of words. Hyperbole, definitely, but not fear mongering.

And if you think I'm some kind of Steam fan, I think we have nothing more to discuss. I don't care for Steam. It is a better storefront, but in the end, it lacks one important feature. DRM-Free. I have more than twice as many games here as I do on Steam, and many of those weren't available on GOG when I first bought them. I bought about 60-70 of them again on here to support the store and have a DRM-Free copy. I am tired of looking at this shirt and seeing that this game or that game has parts of the single-player experience locked behind online DRM. I'm tired of the push towards the client where a game won't work properly without it (doesn't even directly affect me today, I use Galaxy). I'm tired of GOG betraying the one principle they have left, the one thing that makes them unique. So until they stop going in that direction, I'm done with being tired.
low rated
Gudadantza: My steam account is even older than the GOG one. Pretty abandoned, though. But not exactly Steamfobic in the religious sense of the word.

Purchase where you want, buy in steam, but trying to defend it as a pragmatic fight against DRM is lame. Don't you understand that such categorical/hypothetical decission should involve that every GOG game should be DRM infested to have a mere point?

Otherwise it is just a cheap justification. Pretty popular during "dramas" but a falacy noneless.
The pure common sense tells me that if I want DRM Free games I should purchase in the store with So much percent of proved DRM Free titles, not in the store of the creators of the modern digital DRM. And here I am also refering to sites like ZOOM if you prefer, although it is limited in quantity of titles nowadays and a lack of relatively modern AAA games.

Anyway, I believe that something is lost in translation and you just have a peculiar sense of humour. If not, well, then each one with their contradictions.

Greetings
paladin181: To the contrary, my Steam account has far fewer games than my GOG account (less than half, actually). Before this, I only bought games on Steam that were not yet available on GOG (and often would double dip when they came to GOG to get the DRM-Free versions). I don't need to justify purchasing on Steam, rather I am abasing myself to do so. If GOG wants to be "Steam, but worse" then I have no reason to shop here. Literally the one advantage they had over Steam was DRM-Free. Everything else here is far worse. But I was willing to keep shopping here for the DRM-Free. But now, they've showed their hand. If they don't want to be DRM-Free, then they won't get my money. For DRM ridden games, virtually EVERYWHERE is better than here. So my message is to restore DRM-Free or else I'll just by DRM games from other, better sources.
Oh Well, maybe I didn't explain it well enough, my steam account is older, but has fewer games than the gog one too. The gog one is much more than double. Time passes, collections grow

For the rest of the post, well, sorry but any of that does convince me at all. I read it constantly.

Greetings
Post edited September 25, 2021 by Gudadantza
Gudadantza: Oh Well, maybe I didn't explain it well enough, my steam account is older, but has fewer games than the gog one too. The gog one is more than double. Time passes, collections grow

For the rest of the post, well, sorry but any of that does convince me at all. I read it constantly.

Greetings
That's ok. It wasn't for you, specifically. I'm doing my thing.
low rated
Krogan32: Fearmongering & hyperbole. Typical.
paladin181: You should learn the definitions of words. Hyperbole, definitely, but not fear mongering.

And if you think I'm some kind of Steam fan, I think we have nothing more to discuss. I don't care for Steam. It is a better storefront, but in the end, it lacks one important feature. DRM-Free. I have more than twice as many games here as I do on Steam, and many of those weren't available on GOG when I first bought them. I bought about 60-70 of them again on here to support the store and have a DRM-Free copy. I am tired of looking at this shirt and seeing that this game or that game has parts of the single-player experience locked behind online DRM. I'm tired of the push towards the client where a game won't work properly without it (doesn't even directly affect me today, I use Galaxy). I'm tired of GOG betraying the one principle they have left, the one thing that makes them unique. So until they stop going in that direction, I'm done with being tired.
No, you're definitely fear mongering. 1 game that has DRM on GoG, and they even included a notification on the store page to inform potential buyers (more than Steam does for 99% of their games), and you throw a hissy fit. It's truly pathetic.
Time4Tea: For those that are trying the angle of "meh, it's just this one game...", that unfortunately misses the point completely. It may be one game, but it's not really about just the one game - it's about the precedent that is being set. The fact that GOG are content to release a game that has always-online DRM will make it far more likely that future releases of more recent games will follow suit.
Either you have a crystal ball or you are just fear mongering like the rest.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by Krogan32
Gudadantza: ...
The pure common sense tells me that if I want DRM Free games I should purchase in the store with So much percent of proved DRM Free titles
Unfortunately while it lasts. I think the disagreement is:
1) You still don't see GOG becoming a DRM store, like whom? Exactly! Like Steam...
2) Your tolerance about increasing DRM haven't reached its limits
3) You are still in the process of building a library large enough for rough times. (If you and me share the same DRM awareness we both know to where the future is pointing to right now)

You may agree this are difficult times, and I think the fellow gogers boycotting here are finding our own ways to sort it out. As many things in life: There is no recipe :)
Thanks for sharing your opinion like the rest of the people that stop by. To me, that means empathy as the customers all we are and our common interest on DRM Free, and of course: GOG
Let's hope the sum of your and our actions make our future DRM Free purchases much more shining and promising! :)
low rated
Gudadantza: ...
The pure common sense tells me that if I want DRM Free games I should purchase in the store with So much percent of proved DRM Free titles
tag+: Unfortunately while it lasts. I think the disagreement is:
1) You still don't see GOG becoming a DRM store, like whom? Exactly! Like Steam...
Oh noes... one game. Also, that game includes a notification on the store page that the game has online content that requires online DRM. That is FAR more than Steam does for 99.999% of their games. Hysteria and fear mongering.
tag+: 2) Your tolerance about increasing DRM haven't reached its limits
Even more hysteria and fear mongering.
tag+: 3) You are still in the process of building a library large enough for rough times. (If you and me share the same DRM awareness we both know to where the future is pointing to right now)

You may agree this are difficult times, and I think the fellow gogers boycotting here are finding our own ways to sort it out. As many things in life: There is no recipe :)
Thanks for sharing your opinion like the rest of the people that stop by. To me, that means empathy as the customers all we are and our common interest on DRM Free, and of course: GOG
Let's hope the sum of your and our actions make our future DRM Free purchases much more shining and promising! :)
You are just a part of a vocal minority. Your "loss" will be a momentary blip for GoG.
Krogan32: Either you have a crystal ball or you are just fear mongering like the rest.
If you haven't noticed, this boycott has been going since the start of the year. And it seems GOG keep on proving us right, over and over, with their latest steps towards the DRM abyss.

Guess I must have a crystal ball then ... ;-)

Krogan32: Oh noes... one game. Also, that game includes a notification on the store page that the game has online content that requires online DRM. That is FAR more than Steam does for 99.999% of their games. Hysteria and fear mongering.
As I said above, it's not about 'the one game', it is about the precedent. Steam does not market itself as a 'DRM-free store' and has not built it's core business on that basis. Besides, Steam's website/client are far better than GOG's - there is no way GOG can compete on Steam's turf as a 'DRM-neutral' store. Mark my words: GOG embracing DRM will be suicide.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by Time4Tea
low rated
Krogan32: Either you have a crystal ball or you are just fear mongering like the rest.
Time4Tea: If you haven't noticed, this boycott has been going since the start of the year. And it seems GOG keep on proving us right, over and over, with their latest steps towards the DRM abyss.

Guess I must have a crystal ball then ... ;-)
It clearly has worked so well. <eye roll>
Krogan32: Oh noes... one game. Also, that game includes a notification on the store page that the game has online content that requires online DRM. That is FAR more than Steam does for 99.999% of their games. Hysteria and fear mongering.
Time4Tea: As I said above, it's not about 'the one game', it is about the precedent. Steam does not market itself as a 'DRM-free store' and has not built it's core business on that basis. Besides, Steam's website/client are far better than GOG's - there is no way GOG can compete on Steam's turf as a 'DRM-neutral' store. Mark my words: GOG embracing DRM will be suicide.
Again, you are engaging in hysteria and fear mongering. Considering how well this game is selling, you are in the extreme minority. Customers can read the notification and understand that the only thing hidden behind online requirements is... <gasp>... online content. Oh noes.... <eye roll> Vast majority of the game can be played without that content.
tag+: Unfortunately while it lasts. I think the disagreement is:
tag+: 2) Your tolerance about increasing DRM haven't reached its limits
Krogan32: Even more hysteria and fear mongering.
tag+: 3) You are still in the process of building a library large enough for rough times. (If you and me share the same DRM awareness we both know to where the future is pointing to right now)

Krogan32: You are just a part of a vocal minority. Your "loss" will be a momentary blip for GoG.
Time will tell (If is not talking already...)
Thanks for your reply Krogan32 :)
Krogan32: Again, you are engaging in hysteria and fear mongering. Considering how well this game is selling, you are in the extreme minority.
It's not 'fear mongering' if it is justified. And GOG seem to be justifying it time and again. Considering GOG has lost money for the past 2 quarters, we will see how well they do by continuing down this path of embracing DRM.
Krogan32: Oh noes.... <eye roll> Vast majority of the game can be played without that content.
You probably won't believe me, but perhaps you'll believe StingingVelvet, who is as much against this boycott as you are:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_11093/post871

The consensus among people who have played the game on steam and elsewhere (not me, I only buy DRM-free games, and anyhow, it's not my kind of game) seems to be that the online-gated content is about 80-90% of the gameplay.

If necessary, I can bring you more quotes.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by mrkgnao
low rated
Krogan32: Oh noes.... <eye roll> Vast majority of the game can be played without that content.
mrkgnao: You probably won't believe me, but perhaps you'll believe StingingVelvet, who is as much against this boycott as you are:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_11093/post871

The consensus among people who have played the game on steam and elsewhere (not me, I only buy DRM-free games, and anyhow, it's not my kind of game) seems to be that the online-gated content is about 80-90% of the gameplay.

I saw that. However, he never stated a %. So, the "80-90%" is just you making up falsehoods to fit your agenda.
Krogan32: Again, you are engaging in hysteria and fear mongering. Considering how well this game is selling, you are in the extreme minority.
Time4Tea: It's not 'fear mongering' if it is justified. And GOG seem to be justifying it time and again. Considering GOG has lost money for the past 2 quarters, we will see how well they do by continuing down this path of embracing DRM.
I don't know where you are finding that information as all I could find was yearly financial statements for GoG (last one June of 2020). However, the stock markets don't seem to be phased if GoG is having losses as it's stock is up 62.29% from the same date last year, which was the down year for them.
mrkgnao: You probably won't believe me, but perhaps you'll believe StingingVelvet, who is as much against this boycott as you are:

Krogan32: I saw that. However, he never stated a %. So, the "80-90%" is just you making up falsehoods to fit your agenda.
If you go the Hitman's game page and search through the reviews, filtering for reviews by verified owners, you will find one by emme that does mention percentages. What he states has been confirmed by several others who have played the game. Here is the text, just in case:

"Bulk of the game behind online-only DRM

September 23, 2021 Verified owner

The warning text that has been added does not adequately describe the extent of the game that is locked to online-only.

All progression - mastery levels, challenges, and consequently unlocks for different starting locations, stashes, equipment and weapons - is also locked behind the online mode requiring connecting to the game's servers. So you cannot ever use anything other than the default starting status, I would consider it similar to a demo. The first words of game description itself are, "Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground" - this is more of a sandbox than a linear, play-each-mission-once style game.

I have this game on another platform, and enjoy playing methodically going through each mission to fully explore and complete it as much as I can before moving on to the next. I have 56.5 hours recorded over the tutorials + first two story missions. To be generous, that a 'default status' run of these levels took me one hour each, that is just 4 hours, or 7%.

93% of my experience of the game was reliant on content that is locked behind online-only DRM, even here as being sold on GOG.

There is a text on the sidebar "DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play. ", but I could not consider it is true for more than a fraction of the game's content."
Post edited September 25, 2021 by mrkgnao
low rated
Krogan32: I saw that. However, he never stated a %. So, the "80-90%" is just you making up falsehoods to fit your agenda.
mrkgnao: If you go the Hitman's game page and search through the reviews, filtering for reviews by verified owners, you will find one by emme that does mention percentages. What he states has been confirmed by several others who have played the game. Here is the text, just in case:

The warning text that has been added does not adequately describe the extent of the game that is locked to online-only.

All progression - mastery levels, challenges, and consequently unlocks for different starting locations, stashes, equipment and weapons - is also locked behind the online mode requiring connecting to the game's servers. So you cannot ever use anything other than the default starting status, I would consider it similar to a demo. The first words of game description itself are, "Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground" - this is more of a sandbox than a linear, play-each-mission-once style game.

I have this game on another platform, and enjoy playing methodically going through each mission to fully explore and complete it as much as I can before moving on to the next. I have 56.5 hours recorded over the tutorials + first two story missions. To be generous, that a 'default status' run of these levels took me one hour each, that is just 4 hours, or 7%.

93% of my experience of the game was reliant on content that is locked behind online-only DRM, even here as being sold on GOG.

There is a text on the sidebar "DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play. ", but I could not consider it is true for more than a fraction of the game's content."
Taking the opinion of one individual who felt strongly enough to leave a scathing review doesn't make it fact due to the extremely biased nature of the source.
mrkgnao: If you go the Hitman's game page and search through the reviews, filtering for reviews by verified owners, you will find one by emme that does mention percentages. What he states has been confirmed by several others who have played the game. Here is the text, just in case:

Krogan32: Taking the opinion of one individual who felt strongly enough to leave a scathing review doesn't make it fact due to the extremely biased nature of the source.
That's ok. I never for a moment thought that you'd believe me.