It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Maybe it's just me but GOG will never be able to compete with steam on it's own ground and it would be in GOG's best interest to reevaluate the path they are on. You aren't going to gain more customers, you are going to push them to the competitor who does DRM better.
Unless you're just not buying games anymore period, GOG is still the best friend we've got by a large margin. Buying on Steam to protest GOG's mistakes with DRM would be a huge lul.
StingingVelvet: Unless you're just not buying games anymore period, GOG is still the best friend we've got by a large margin. Buying on Steam to protest GOG's mistakes with DRM would be a huge lul.
there are multiple alternative for drm-free (indiegala, itch, zoom platform, drm-free games on steam and epic, humble bundle, developer website etc...).
and if everything else fail we'll go back to the bay with skull, flag and everything. I got a long list of games still to play, when that end if I won't be able to find any drm-free games I'll get a ship and get games anyway.
Joking aside (yeah I still see no reason to resort to piracy), if I try to find a drm-free copy of a game it should be sold on the developer website before everything else (there are itch and humble bundle plugins to make it easier and a developer get more money, not sure why most of them ignore this solution) if there is only the gog version I'll just avoid that game from now on.

I can still support drm-free that way. If I buy a drm games without notice that's a good reason to get the ship.
Has anyone who wants people to boycott posted about it outside the forum? (like r/games, tried to contact game journos, etc.)
high rated
StingingVelvet: Unless you're just not buying games anymore period, GOG is still the best friend we've got by a large margin. Buying on Steam to protest GOG's mistakes with DRM would be a huge lul.
I disagree. If GOG are just selling DRM anyway, then why would I chain myself to a terrible store and out-of-date and unoptimized website? I'll just buy everything I was going to buy here on Steam now. Better store, better support, better forums. DRM free is literally the only reason to shop here. If they're getting rid of that, I may as well shop at a better place.
tfishell: Has anyone who wants people to boycott posted about it outside the forum? (like r/games, tried to contact game journos, etc.)
I've posted on Twitter. Thats about all.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by paladin181
I have explained this several times, but one more time wouldn't hurt (I can always link to this from now).

For me, a boycott is an attempt to change the practices of a store or company I do want to buy from.
This is different from simply not buying somewhere.

I still care a bit about GOG, which is why I boycott it.

I don't care the least bit about steam, which is why I have never boycotted it. For many years, until May 2021, I simply never bought anything there because I had assumed there was nothing of interest for me there (as I thought the client was mandatory). But now that I know it's not mandatory (I don't use clients), I see no reason not to buy there (and many reasons to do, e.g. games up to date, larger DRM-free selection, much cheaper, better service).

If I ever stop caring about GOG, I will stop my boycott. Whether I will then buy things here or not remains to be seen.
I know it sounds counterintuitive, but that's my approach to things.

Unlike many people here, who oppose DRM in principle, I don't. I just don't buy games with DRM, full stop. Nor have I ever pirated a game, full stop. I don't particularly care whether the store I buy from has 60% DRM-free games or 99%. I do somewhat care whether a store lies to me about it being 100% DRM-free, but that's another story.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by mrkgnao
Add me to the list, I've been supportive about the boycott thing while not taking action since I was still having a bit of faith on GOG, but the new hitman BS was the last straw.

I'll try to warn more people about their hypocrisy and lack of transparency as well.
mrkgnao: I don't care the least bit about steam, which is why I have never boycotted it. For many years, until May 2021, I simply never bought anything there because I had assumed there was nothing of interest for me there (as I thought the client was mandatory). But now that I know it's not mandatory (I don't use clients), I see no reason not to buy there (and many reasons to do, e.g. games up to date, larger DRM-free selection, much cheaper, better service).
How are you downloading Steam games without the client dude?

Anyway, boycotting GOG will do nothing but make GOG less profitable and more desperate to find other ways to make money. It's not going to do much else. Boycott specific games like Hitman by all means, but boycotting the only store in town that tries to be DRM free is an exercise in cutting off your nose to spite your face.
mrkgnao: I don't care the least bit about steam, which is why I have never boycotted it. For many years, until May 2021, I simply never bought anything there because I had assumed there was nothing of interest for me there (as I thought the client was mandatory). But now that I know it's not mandatory (I don't use clients), I see no reason not to buy there (and many reasons to do, e.g. games up to date, larger DRM-free selection, much cheaper, better service).
StingingVelvet: How are you downloading Steam games without the client dude?
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/drm_free_on_steam_vs_gog_poll/post68

Anyway, boycotting GOG will do nothing but make GOG less profitable and more desperate to find other ways to make money. It's not going to do much else. Boycott specific games like Hitman by all means, but boycotting the only store in town that tries to be DRM free is an exercise in cutting off your nose to spite your face.
They've done it to themselves. They already ruined DRM free. They are no friend to DRM free any longer. I'd be cool if they go out of business. If you don't screw your customers, and they won't screw you back.
low rated

paladin181: They've done it to themselves. They already ruined DRM free. They are no friend to DRM free any longer. I'd be cool if they go out of business. If you don't screw your customers, and they won't screw you back.
Fearmongering & hyperbole. Typical.

They're just a bunch of Steam fanbots that have come here to catch the one game on GoG that has DRM on it (yet also putting a notification of online requirement for part of the game, which is more than Steam does for their games) so they can cheerlead for Steam. It's truly pathetic and predictable.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by Krogan32
high rated
Krogan32: to catch the one game on GoG that has DRM on it
That quoted statement is not accurate.

There is definitely more than one game on GOG that has DRM on it.
paladin181: I disagree. If GOG are just selling DRM anyway, then why would I chain myself to a terrible store and out-of-date and unoptimized website? I'll just buy everything I was going to buy here on Steam now. Better store, better support, better forums. DRM free is literally the only reason to shop here. If they're getting rid of that, I may as well shop at a better place.
tfishell: Has anyone who wants people to boycott posted about it outside the forum? (like r/games, tried to contact game journos, etc.)
paladin181: I've posted on Twitter. Thats about all.
My steam account is even older than the GOG one. Pretty abandoned, though. But not exactly Steamfobic in the religious sense of the word.

Purchase where you want, buy in steam, but trying to defend it as a pragmatic fight against DRM is lame. Don't you understand that such categorical/hypothetical decission should involve that every GOG game should be DRM infested to have a mere point?

Otherwise it is just a cheap justification. Pretty popular during "dramas" but a falacy noneless.
The pure common sense tells me that if I want DRM Free games I should purchase in the store with So much percent of proved DRM Free titles, not in the store of the creators of the modern digital DRM. And here I am also refering to sites like ZOOM if you prefer, although it is limited in quantity of titles nowadays and a lack of relatively modern AAA games.

Anyway, I believe that something is lost in translation and you just have a peculiar sense of humour. If not, well, then each one with their contradictions.

Greetings
paladin181: I disagree. If GOG are just selling DRM anyway, then why would I chain myself to a terrible store and out-of-date and unoptimized website? I'll just buy everything I was going to buy here on Steam now. Better store, better support, better forums. DRM free is literally the only reason to shop here. If they're getting rid of that, I may as well shop at a better place.

I've posted on Twitter. Thats about all.
Gudadantza: My steam account is even older than the GOG one. Pretty abandoned, though. But not exactly Steamfobic in the religious sense of the word.

Purchase where you want, buy in steam, but trying to defend it as a pragmatic fight against DRM is lame. Don't you understand that such categorical/hypothetical decission should involve that every GOG game should be DRM infested to have a mere point?

Otherwise it is just a cheap justification. Pretty popular during "dramas" but a falacy noneless.
The pure common sense tells me that if I want DRM Free games I should purchase in the store with So much percent of proved DRM Free titles, not in the store of the creators of the modern digital DRM. And here I am also refering to sites like ZOOM if you prefer, although it is limited in quantity of titles nowadays and a lack of relatively modern AAA games.

Anyway, I believe that something is lost in translation and you just have a peculiar sense of humour. If not, well, then each one with their contradictions.

Greetings
To the contrary, my Steam account has far fewer games than my GOG account (less than half, actually). Before this, I only bought games on Steam that were not yet available on GOG (and often would double dip when they came to GOG to get the DRM-Free versions). I don't need to justify purchasing on Steam, rather I am abasing myself to do so. If GOG wants to be "Steam, but worse" then I have no reason to shop here. Literally the one advantage they had over Steam was DRM-Free. Everything else here is far worse. But I was willing to keep shopping here for the DRM-Free. But now, they've showed their hand. If they don't want to be DRM-Free, then they won't get my money. For DRM ridden games, virtually EVERYWHERE is better than here. So my message is to restore DRM-Free or else I'll just by DRM games from other, better sources.
high rated
For those that are trying the angle of "meh, it's just this one game...", that unfortunately misses the point completely. It may be one game, but it's not really about just the one game - it's about the precedent that is being set. The fact that GOG are content to release a game that has always-online DRM will make it far more likely that future releases of more recent games will follow suit. So, this move by GOG is highly damaging to the DRM-free movement and I can't support that.

And then, when you also factor in that this is just the latest step in a clear pattern of GOG walking back on their DRM-free promise ... yeah, there is no way I can continue to support that sort of hipocracy and lack of respect for their customers.