It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Yeshu: Here's the thing kids. [...] all you are doing here is virtue signalling to make yourselves feel like you are "fighting the good fight".
WinterSnowfall: Kids? Virtue signaling? Those tinted glasses you're wearing must have quite an effect. All I see are people considering how/where to invest their money and good will (or stop doing so), while discussing the topic. Sure, there may also be some venting here and there, but it's mostly cathartic.
It's mostly venting. Also, why cut up my comment so much that it looses it's original meaning?
high rated
Ganyse: Recently, games that are supposed to be DRM-free (launched without Galaxy, well with offline setup) are establishing an online connection, for an undisclosed reason, even for games that don't have an online connection.
I saw it because I configured my firewall to block connections and tell me what to try to connect before I decide whether to allow it or not
This product has been on the market for about 3 months, I would say.
This, this is really disturbing, and I urge you to check for yourself to confirm what I am saying.
Gersen: But is the game starting and working fine if you are totally offline ? Being DRM-free doesn't mean that the game doesn't try to connect online, simply that it will work if it is 100% offline.
I agree. I don't personally think it is DRM for a game to try to connect to the internet, as long as 100% of the single player content can be accessed and played offline. I just installed Batman: Arkham City (which I bought before the Devotion debacle) and the first thing it does when it launches is 'Searching for downloadable content'. However, the game still runs fine if I disconnect from the web.

However, it is a bit concerning though. Tbh, spying and telemetry are going to be concerns with any form of proprietary, closed-source software. I mean, I'm sure everyone is aware of the extent to which Microsoft and Apple gather data on their users ('to help provide a more tailored and improved customer experience'). This is why I personally don't trust any of these games. I use Linux and run the games in a sandbox, where I have fine control over what parts of my system they can access (including the internet).
Post edited January 11, 2021 by Time4Tea
low rated
RavenCrowwise: The only reason I am sticking with GOG, and making it my preferred digital platform, is due to offline installers.The day they stop doing that I switch back to Steam where I have a considerable amount of games already

Hope they stick to their values and not become just another digital platform to buy games on.
you are a little late with that :)
low rated
Time4Tea: This is why I personally don't trust any of these games. I use Linux and run the games in a sandbox, where I have fine control over what parts of my system them can access (including the internet).
Good on ya.
Still....unless you're living like a hermit, they're likely getting some of your data some other way anyways.
Post edited January 11, 2021 by GamezRanker
high rated
RavenCrowwise: The only reason I am sticking with GOG, and making it my preferred digital platform, is due to offline installers.The day they stop doing that I switch back to Steam where I have a considerable amount of games already

Hope they stick to their values and not become just another digital platform to buy games on.
Do you care whether these offline installers are up to date, or do you just want any offline installer?

Because it's safe to assume that about 1-2% of your installers are outdated relative to the version on galaxy (and a few more percents relative to steam).
Ganyse: Recently, games that are supposed to be DRM-free (launched without Galaxy, well with offline setup) are establishing an online connection, for an undisclosed reason, even for games that don't have an online connection.
I saw it because I configured my firewall to block connections and tell me what to try to connect before I decide whether to allow it or not

This, this is really disturbing, and I urge you to check for yourself to confirm what I am saying.
My recollection is that this has been going on with a few games for a while, and it does concern and annoy me. That said, unless I was doing a rare thing for me like Multiplayer, I would never be connected to the web when playing a game. I am only connected to the web when I need to be, and I don't like stuff running in the background when playing games.

But each to their own, and it is troubling. Not a fan of programs talking home without my express permission.

joppo: .... Bullshittese ...
Nice word .... and clearly you are a master.

Yes, this is a very friendly place full of positives and nary a negative .... occasionally. ha ha ha ha

Some of us come for a chat and some of us come for a chat and a laugh .... I'll let you guess which one is me. ;)
Post edited January 11, 2021 by Timboli
Yeshu: It's mostly venting.
With sufficiently tinted glasses any form of disagreement is venting. But, fair enough, that is how you see it.

Yeshu: Also, why are you being such a meanie?
Eh? I did not feel that I had to quote the whole thing, since my post was literally just under yours. I only included the parts I took issue with. Also, fun fact, you can, at any point in time, put words into other's people mouths on these forums just by quoting. Ergo, especially on the topic of "forum consistency", nobody should really trust quotes beyond being a way of signaling who is replying to what post.
Post edited January 11, 2021 by WinterSnowfall

mrkgnao: Do you care whether these offline installers are up to date, or do you just want any offline installer?

Because it's safe to assume that about 1-2% of your installers are outdated relative to the version on galaxy (and a few more percents relative to steam).
And even if they update the games, you don't get all notifications. Regarding a post from kbnrylaec in the update thread last year 80% of his updates got flaged, which means 20% were uninformed. And that's not only gogs own maintenance updates like new pictures to advertise other games in the shop, as example both updates for the Bloodrayne Terminal Cut games did not shown up.

We are at a point that if you really want your backups to be up to date, you need to use external tools like one of the downloader scripts or you need to check the GOG Database website.
Time4Tea: ...
I agree that it is strange that the non-galaxy version tries to connect. Now the big question would be what does it do ? does it actually try to transfer something (e.g. telemetry) or does it simply try to open a random connection to see if the user is online or offline.
low rated
mrkgnao: Do you care whether these offline installers are up to date, or do you just want any offline installer?
Dunno about them, but i'll take ANY that work....as long as all content is more or less the same.

Also as i've said before, with the site's way of dealing with them(only latest versions) i'd rather they be delayed until others can test them first...well unless gog started carrying the last TWO versions of every game, that is.
low rated
joppo: .... Bullshittese ...
Timboli: Nice word .... and clearly you are a master.

Yes, this is a very friendly place full of positives and nary a negative .... occasionally. ha ha ha ha

Some of us come for a chat and some of us come for a chat and a laugh .... I'll let you guess which one is me. ;)
Au contraire, my friend. I am no master, in fact I even described how I needed Google Translate. Maybe you can show me a good teacher? ;)

About the quality of the conversation among most forum regulars I'd say this is a desirable side effect of the original focus of Gog's values and releases attracting older, wiser people over the crowd of toxic horny teenagers that are so easy to find in Steam forums (or so I've heard). :)
Sadly this is also another characteristic we've been slowly losing as Gog becomes more known and accessible, but there's nothing we can – or should – do about that.

But I digress and we're veering into a subject that has nothing to do with the thread's. If you want to pursue this or even think we can have a better dialogue about this boycott in private my chat is always open.

See ya.
Post edited January 11, 2021 by joppo
low rated
joppo: But I digress and we're veering into a subject that has nothing to do with the thread's.
Speaking of the threads.....it seems another user bumped a bunch of them, and then a CM/mod(Beaubergine) "coincidentally" locked them all for being "necrod".

I wonder, if nah....there's no way they did that on purpose to get them locked, now is there?
Attachments:
hmmzz.jpg (453 Kb)
Post edited January 11, 2021 by GamezRanker
GamezRanker: Dunno about them, but i'll take ANY that work....as long as all content is more or less the same.
The same as what?

GamezRanker: Also as i've said before, with the site's way of dealing with them(only latest versions) i'd rather they be delayed until others can test them first...well unless gog started carrying the last TWO versions of every game, that is.
How long would you like them to be delayed?
low rated
mrkgnao: The same as what?
The same to me, I mean. If the content is more or less the same in both versions I am ok with the latest version being delayed....especially with how GOG releases updates to the site itself(latest versions only)

mrkgnao: How long would you like them to be delayed?
Ideally i'd like GOG to host that latest two versions of a game's files....in case the newest one has problems. If not that, i'd be happy with waiting until galaxy users got a chance to test the new versions first.

Indeed, so I've heard, this is even more troublesome in my perspective. And I am taking that into consideration. I have also built installers myself for DRM free games I taken from Steam and Epicstore. I am really into having my stuff offline and archived.

Lets see what the future holds for us.

:)