It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
ElektroSmokes: I just saw that GOG is spinning legit reviews about Hitman and calling it "review bombing."

Congrats, GOG. I will never spend another single cent here.
It is review bombing as 90%+ of them are just "DRM BAD!!!" without discussing the game at all. That LITERALLY violates GoG's rules on reviews. I'm sorry you are unwilling to understand that fact because it doesn't fit your narrative of hysteria and fear mongering like the rest.
high rated
ElektroSmokes: I just saw that GOG is spinning legit reviews about Hitman and calling it "review bombing."

Krogan32: It is review bombing as 90%+ of them are just "DRM BAD!!!" without discussing the game at all. That LITERALLY violates GoG's rules on reviews. I'm sorry you are unwilling to understand that fact because it doesn't fit your narrative of hysteria and fear mongering like the rest.
It's hardly hysteria and fear-mongering when GOG releasing this game with a form of DRM is counter to everything they have stated for years they stand for. It was also the ONLY distinguishing thing they had that drew anyone to this site to buy games.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by rtwjunkie
high rated
mrkgnao: If you go the Hitman's game page and search through the reviews, filtering for reviews by verified owners, you will find one by emme that does mention percentages. What he states has been confirmed by several others who have played the game. Here is the text, just in case:

"Bulk of the game behind online-only DRM

September 23, 2021 Verified owner

The warning text that has been added does not adequately describe the extent of the game that is locked to online-only.

All progression - mastery levels, challenges, and consequently unlocks for different starting locations, stashes, equipment and weapons - is also locked behind the online mode requiring connecting to the game's servers. So you cannot ever use anything other than the default starting status, I would consider it similar to a demo. The first words of game description itself are, "Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground" - this is more of a sandbox than a linear, play-each-mission-once style game.

I have this game on another platform, and enjoy playing methodically going through each mission to fully explore and complete it as much as I can before moving on to the next. I have 56.5 hours recorded over the tutorials + first two story missions. To be generous, that a 'default status' run of these levels took me one hour each, that is just 4 hours, or 7%.

93% of my experience of the game was reliant on content that is locked behind online-only DRM, even here as being sold on GOG.

There is a text on the sidebar "DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play. ", but I could not consider it is true for more than a fraction of the game's content."
Krogan32: Taking the opinion of one individual who felt strongly enough to leave a scathing review doesn't make it fact due to the extremely biased nature of the source.
I take it you've not played the game then? If you had, you'd know the game's status. I have, several years ago. Most of the game is indeed locked behind online access. It is the whole feature of the game and how it was marketed. It is indeed a DRM game, not a DRM-free game as GOG would have you believe.
low rated
Krogan32: Taking the opinion of one individual who felt strongly enough to leave a scathing review doesn't make it fact due to the extremely biased nature of the source.
rtwjunkie: I take it you've not played the game then? If you had, you'd know the game's status. I have, several years ago. Most of the game is indeed locked behind online access. It is the whole feature of the game and how it was marketed. It is indeed a DRM game, not a DRM-free game as GOG would have you believe.
You can stop lying. Only the online portion of the game requires online activation.
high rated

Krogan32: It is review bombing as 90%+ of them are just "DRM BAD!!!" without discussing the game at all. That LITERALLY violates GoG's rules on reviews. I'm sorry you are unwilling to understand that fact because it doesn't fit your narrative of hysteria and fear mongering like the rest.
I. Play. My. Old. Games. On. Machines. Without. Internet. Connections.

Please, tell me more about how DRM isn't bad. I'll be waiting.
high rated
Krogan32: It is review bombing as 90%+ of them are just "DRM BAD!!!" without discussing the game at all. That LITERALLY violates GoG's rules on reviews.
If a game has DRM I wouldn't buy it what ever the rest of the game is like so those reviewers are LITERALLY telling me exactly what I need to know about Hitman. Even if you don't care about the online requirement the reviews are still talking about a technical aspect of the game so shouldn't be against the rules.
Post edited September 27, 2021 by HappyPunkPotato
Might as well continue.

===========================================================================================

I thought I'd keep a record of GOG games I would definitely have bought, were it not for my boycott.

GAMES NOT BOUGHT ON GOG IN 2021
(1) 18/1/21: Dread Nautical - $10
(2) 18/1/21: Operencia: The Stolen Sun - $15
(3) 29/1/21: Way of the Samurai 3 Deluxe - $2.5
(4) 29/1/21: Way of the Samurai 4 + DLC - $3.5
(5) 10/2/21: Drakensang - $3
(6) 10/2/21: Commander Keen Complete Pack - $1.5
(7) 10/2/21: XCOM 2 - $4.5
(8) 26/2/21: Cardaclysm: Shards of the Four - $9
(9) 22/3/21: Raji: An Ancient Epic - $12.5
(10) 30/3/21: Worms World Party Remastered - $2
(11) 2/4/21: Steel Rats Original Soundtrack - $1
(12) 29/4/21: Hob - $4
(13) 30/4/21: The 7th Circle - Endless Nightmare - $5
(14) 3/6/21: Warhammer Quest Deluxe - $4.5
(15) 3/6/21: Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times - $10
(16) 9/6/21: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition - $3
(17) 9/6/21: THIEF: Definitive Edition - $6
(18) 9/6/21: Fae Tactics - $12
(19) 9/6/21: Loop Hero - $10
(20) 9/6/21: Styx: Master of Shadows - $2
(21) 14/6/21: Hellpoint Supporter Pack - $4
(22) 18/6/21: Samorost 2 - $1.5
(23) 2/7/21: Revelation - $4.5
(24) 2/7/21: Zyconix - $4.5
(25) 21/7/21: Ticket to Earth - $5
(26) 19/8/21: Tomb Raider: Legend - $1
(27) 19/8/21: Tomb Raider: Anniversary - $1
(28) 19/8/21: Tomb Raider: Underworld - $1
(29) 19/8/21: Tomb Raider GOTY - $4
(30) 19/8/21: Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Imperial Edition Bundle - $13.5
(31) 19/8/21: ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery) - $1.5
(32) 6/9/21: Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth + DLC - $3.5
(33) 15/9/21: The Technomancer - $4
(34) 27/9/21: Dicey Dungeons - $5

Total not spent on GOG so far: $175

===========================================================================================

Additionally, after 11 years of buying nothing but GOG, I have finally decided (in May) to begin buying video games elsewhere --- on Humble Store, Indiegala, Steam, Fanatical, Green Man Gaming, etc. --- as long as they're DRM-free and, more importantly, client-free.

Total spent elsewhere in 2021 so far: $90.5 (65 games)

My reasons for boycotting:
(1) GOG does not indicate which games contain single-player elements that require galaxy or an online presence (e.g. Hitman, Absolver, CP2077), making it impossible to buy client-free games with confidence (I don't care whether or not they sell such games, I just want to know which, so I can avoid them) --- Status: Still waiting for GOG to add some indication of this, e.g. via a search filter or game page field.
(2) A significant number of offline installers are outdated vis-a-vis the galaxy installers, sometimes for months and years --- Status: Since the boycott began this has improved significantly, which seems to indicate that GOG has made an honest attempt to resolve this to some degree, so from my POV, I consider this, for now, to be resolved, assuming it does not deteriorate again.
Post edited September 29, 2021 by mrkgnao
I've been buying games almost exclusively here, with some exceptions of other DRM free stores (and getting Humble Bundles only when these weren't contaminated with Steam variants at all)

there are some other issues than appearance of DRM in the store such as offline installers being split into multiple filers and being single threaded, but DRM just breaks the most basic principle of the store and mean I can't just safely click "buy" anymore, and that means I won't
high rated
_Auster_: I'd suggest not extending the discussion with Krogan32.
There's a chance he/she is trying to get the thread locked, which is something common in other forums, such as Steam's.
(causing bickering = making people get less and less civil = derailing the topic and breaking the forum's ToS in the process = getting the thread locked as a result)
And even if it's not his/her intention, if things start getting bad, the thread will be locked.
Krogan32: I'm sorry that you are incapable of understanding that you are all a vocal minority on this topic. The game is selling extremely well.
Thank you for the completely useless information. Pop quiz, who are the people actually using GoG, attending to purchases on it, and taking part in community work to keep people updated and informed. It is not the fair-weather fools loyal only to "oh ohh! hitman, must get!" Those are not reliable staying customers. Given the number of people against this, we are not in the minority. Even people outside GoG who talk about this are against it on this issue. So fuck off trying to stomp on people and tell them they are nobody, you're wrong.

rtwjunkie: I take it you've not played the game then? If you had, you'd know the game's status. I have, several years ago. Most of the game is indeed locked behind online access. It is the whole feature of the game and how it was marketed. It is indeed a DRM game, not a DRM-free game as GOG would have you believe.
Krogan32: You can stop lying. Only the online portion of the game requires online activation.
He's not lying dude. Most of the weapons, level locations, and a host of features are behind the wall. I only found this out by looking it up, it's not exactly hard information to get

I'm willing to just watch for now and see(and if necessary speak to) what GoG is going to do in response. Will they remove the game from sale? Ideally yes. Will they condemn it and apologize, saying the reviews should speak for themselves? Cool, not happy but we're off the thin cracking ice for now. Will they double down? then I'll consider them no difference from steam and check if a game has DRM anytime I make a purchase. I came to GoG because I am certain that I wont find DRM after downloading. If that goes away, the thing that made them worth going to is gone.

Edit: oh hey it auto added to the post instead of double posting. Neat. Steam might learn a thing or two from touches like that.

"Large sections of the game are non-functional because they continue to attempt to connect to a third party service to even run. As such that part of the game is non-functional, and thus the game itself is broken due to the large section it is." Please explain to me how that is anything but a discussion on the technical operations of the game and it's mechanics. And yes that does apply to "This game has DRM, it does not run indepently," is just what I said in less words. Now again, explain how stating a condemnation of a technical aspect of a games proggraming is somehow not talking about the game.

Edit: To those who care, I am going to attempt to keep to the no turd twice rule. I will not be responding to this man again unless he says something particularly profound in either direction. I do not want this to become a personal argument thread.
Post edited September 27, 2021 by mastyer-kenobi
low rated
mastyer-kenobi: <personal insults and gibberish>
Thanks for proving that you are merely projecting.
zakius: I've been buying games almost exclusively here, with some exceptions of other DRM free stores (and getting Humble Bundles only when these weren't contaminated with Steam variants at all)

there are some other issues than appearance of DRM in the store such as offline installers being split into multiple filers and being single threaded, but DRM just breaks the most basic principle of the store and mean I can't just safely click "buy" anymore, and that means I won't
For someone that's been registered since 2013, your complaints of multiple file installers is pretty hilarious as many of the old games use that install structure. But, hey, at least you can continue with your faux hysteria and fear mongering like the rest of the vocal minority.
Post edited September 27, 2021 by Krogan32
Krogan32: Thanks for proving that you are merely projecting.
zakius: I've been buying games almost exclusively here, with some exceptions of other DRM free stores (and getting Humble Bundles only when these weren't contaminated with Steam variants at all)

Krogan32: For someone that's been registered since 2013, your complaints of multiple file installers is pretty hilarious as many of the old games use that install structure. But, hey, at least you can continue with your faux hysteria and fear mongering like the rest of the vocal minority.
this always was always an issue, not a huge one, but would be nice to see it resolved since FAT is not an issue anymore
Well, I guess you can count me in.
A bit late to the party, but whatever.

I can accept the fact that GOG will probably never care about Linux users. But I'm fed up with GOG gradually and silently introducing DRM to its supposedly "DRM-free" store and finding excuses for it.
Krogan32: Thanks for proving that you are merely projecting.

Krogan32: For someone that's been registered since 2013, your complaints of multiple file installers is pretty hilarious as many of the old games use that install structure. But, hey, at least you can continue with your faux hysteria and fear mongering like the rest of the vocal minority.
lol you are mad that gog is a failure and is getting a lot of bad press. I can tell you are extremely mad like most fanboys get when someone talks negative about what they shill for. Hitman selling means just more games with drm coming, the progression which is a huge part of the game requires internet meaning you can only use the default items you start with. There are several games on gog with drm already actually and not just hitman. Now go enjoy your gog drm infested games and continue to shill for gog which is a minority anyways compared to steam ;)

Can you elaborate on what this means? Thanks.

.Ra: Can you elaborate on what this means? Thanks.
I can't elaborate for him but I share the same ideal so I'll provide my answer. I don't go to steam because I know 90% of the time it's DRM locked and I don't want games that require me to log in to something to run(even ignoring the extra half gig of memory it uses). I can't trust steam and have to ask every single game "does this run without steam." Which I even stopped doing because the forums either ban me for asking or insult me for asking and don't answer. I started using GoG because I trusted that wouldn't happen here. Now I have reason to fear that will indeed happen here, and it means I can't hit the buy button, I have to go the forums and ask.

It's the equivalent of "do I trust this store to have good products and can thus take anything off the shelf, or do I have to stop buying and do research before I maybe come back, and possibly miss a sale.

I will be fair to GoG, on surface this can be seen as "online features" complaining about DRM on warframe is indeed foolish. It's a multiplayer game, and even singleplayer is effected by hack since there is an in-game economy, so the login becomes necessary even without it's multiplayer framework. BUT, that only applies here on surface, and it might be tripping up the moderation system GoG uses. It will likely need someone at the top go to "hold on, we've been tricked, fooled, and quite possible, bamboozled." But as I have said, we'll see.
Post edited September 28, 2021 by mastyer-kenobi