It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I will never understand people who feel the need to claim high and loud "I'm leaving!!!" or "I'm boycotting XXX unless [unicorn-level unrealistic demands]"

Just leave, already, and do the only thing that you claim: vote with your wallet.

But claiming it, crusading publicly for it?? Attention whores. You're not Nelson Mandela trying to end the Apartheid.
high rated
xa_chan: I will never understand people who feel the need to claim high and loud "I'm leaving!!!" or "I'm boycotting XXX unless [unicorn-level unrealistic demands]"

Just leave, already, and do the only thing that you claim: vote with your wallet.

But claiming it, crusading publicly for it?? Attention whores. You're not Nelson Mandela trying to end the Apartheid.
There are different levels of boycott.

Company does something bad, but you still wish that they could still redeem themselves, you will tell them why you are boycotting them. Maybe they will rethink what they are doing.

Company does bad things and you now wish them financial ruin - do just what you suggested, leave and let them die off (maybe) if you don't support them anymore.

Company does something evil enough that it demands that you boycott them and name and shame them publicly and wish that everyone else boycott them too.

GOG can still redeem themselves. No need to book plane tickets to Poland so that we can burn effigies outside GOG HQ. They might not be the good small guys anymore, but they are not entirely evil corporate yet either.

And just try to be a Nelson Mandela in China. You will end up in prison camp or dead pretty fast, or having to run to exile like Dalai Lama.
high rated
xa_chan: I will never understand people who feel the need to claim high and loud "I'm leaving!!!" or "I'm boycotting XXX unless [unicorn-level unrealistic demands]"

You heard it here, folks, only completely satisfied customers are allowed on GOG. Never mind those of us who supported this store for years and still come here to mingle with other users or to get updated versions of offline "backup" installers of games we purchased. No, I will continue to voice my concerns on this DISCUSSION forum.

Also, "look at me, I'm against DRM" is not exactly a popular, endearing position, even leaving discouraging posts like yours aside (though posts like yours pop up in all these topics). Try mentioning to someone that you don't have Netflix, instead, you buy DVDs. You'll likely get stared at as if you just landed from Mars.

Anyway, I came back to this topic because I think people would be interested in this post from another topic:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/no_mans_sky_isnt_fully_drmfree/post547

Evidently, GOG is not going to be doing anything about the DRM in No Man's Sky because, other than the online content, the game is offline. I know some of you are boycotting (in whatever sense) at least in part because of No Man's Sky, and, well, there ya go.
low rated
Orkhepaj: is that a job?:O
Gersen: Unless it's Marcin's 10 years old nephew that does it for free then yes it's a job.
still it is not a job , it is just a part of a job
or do you really think they hire specially to make twitter posts ? :O
BitLiz: It's pretty crazy to look at the GOG Twitter, at their social media manager trying to tweet new stuff and create excitement about it while at the same time constantly ignoring the replies regarding Devotion. So that's how it's going to be from now on, huh, GOG.
Imagine that.

Release: Doom 2016

First post: where's devotion?
Second post: where's devotion?

etc...
low rated
BitLiz: It's pretty crazy to look at the GOG Twitter, at their social media manager trying to tweet new stuff and create excitement about it while at the same time constantly ignoring the replies regarding Devotion. So that's how it's going to be from now on, huh, GOG.
M3troid: Imagine that.

Release: Doom 2016

etc...
they should do their job and contact the community us
low rated
xa_chan: ...
Not selling games with any bits of DRM isn't exactly an unrealistic demand, merely what GOG was promising to do. Posting about it here (hopefully) lets GOG know why I'm not buying anything and lets other customers know they are not alone if they are doing it too.

I suggest you are the attention whore posting in a thread that you care nothing about seemingly with the sole intention of winding people up.
low rated
Orkhepaj: still it is not a job , it is just a part of a job
or do you really think they hire specially to make twitter posts ? :O
Some bigger corporations and some powerful/rich people have those, actually...they're called social media managers. :)

=-=-=

M3troid: Release: Doom 2016

etc...
They should say something like "This is a good game....now what about getting Devotion here?"

That way it's mostly ontopic.
Post edited January 08, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
xa_chan: ...
HappyPunkPotato: Not selling games with any bits of DRM isn't exactly an unrealistic demand, merely what GOG was promising to do. Posting about it here (hopefully) lets GOG know why I'm not buying anything and lets other customers know they are not alone if they are doing it too.

I suggest you are the attention whore posting in a thread that you care nothing about seemingly with the sole intention of winding people up.
yep , looks like it is entitlement to expect a company to keep their own promises
I bet many chose gog because of these promises

xa_chan is a known troll , if you reply he just gets fed and will return for more
low rated
Orkhepaj: xa_chan is a known troll , if you reply he just gets fed and will return for more
Thanks, I'll just ignore him from now on then.
high rated
mrkgnao: You seem to be under the impression that this thread is about Devotion. It's not.
Timboli: Well as usually the first item mentioned on a list is the most important one, and that this thread and others have been seemingly kicked off by sentiment related to Devotion, that is what I focused on.
Well it's not anyone's fault that you made an assumption based on one person's post and applied it to several others who didn't say they think EXACTLY the same, now is it?

I actually believe there's a good chance that releasing Devotion isn't even feasible anymore. I mean, it was if they reacted quickly, but by now the damage they made to their own reputation is so big it's like they have a wound reaching necrosis. If they release it now they would barely restore their reputation, while at the same time getting on the news everywhere for finally doing the right thing (which would lead to many people who aren't aware to know how they spent weeks doubling down on the wrong path, thus mitigating their cred restoration). And if the CCP bot army's threats were empty before, they might not be now with Gog getting too much attention on the game they want to see buried. So in the end I think NOW the risk might be high enough.

Even before I wouldn't consider the not-release the breaking point. Despite releasing the game being right thing to do even in the political angle, there's an economic factor too. Within that angle it's entirely within them the decision whether to carry the game or not. But that doesn't excuse the frankly ridiculous, blatant, pathetic lie of it being a request of "many gamers". And THAT is a thing I have a MAJOR issue with. Being lied to like that and used as an excuse is not something I take lightly, and I want them to address this or lose whatever money I was going to spend here.

Timboli: So it seems to me you are just punishing yourselves really, and not GOG.
A couple days ago I referenced the Montgomery bus boycott led by Martin Luther King, where the black community went 381 days without using the bus to protest against racism. 381 days of personal inconvenience for themselves, but as you might know, it worked.
Protesting against something is often inconvenient to the protester, but if everyone stays sitting on the couch doing nothing I can guarantee that the only changes they're going to see are for the worst.

Timboli: Well what I said in that regard, wasn't really for those people.
Timboli: And the ZOOM Platform is another store... and maybe they are just seeking to get attention or take advantage of animosity toward GOG.
Well, duh. It's not their fault if Gog squanders their customers' respect.
Welcome to the Free Market world. If ZP offers a better service than the competition, they will grow and Gog will shrink. If Gog doesn't want that to happen it's in their hands, they just have to stop the loss of customer trust. Which is exactly what we're campaigning for.

And if it gets to a point where ZP is hands down the better choice... why would anyone still buy here? Why feel attached to this store? Go to the place where you're treated better.

Timboli: At least GOG were open, if perhaps not fully truthful ... that's more than you can say for the other stores silently ducking the issue. Parents tell white lies to their kids all the time
What alternate universe did you came from?
Or alternatively
Whatever it is you're smoking, I'm sure it's going to sell for a ton of gold if you find the right, ahem, "distributor".

Here, allow me to display how "truthful" Gog is currently being towards us. Let me remind you of this thread where SmollestLight affirmed
We created GOG GALAXY 2.0 ... Since its launch, the most requested new feature has been the option to buy games not only from GOG.COM, but from other platforms as well, straight from the GOG GALAXY app.
The most requested new feature? Really? Allow me to pull the Community wishlist.
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy#search=buy
or
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy#search=purchase

Find me a single wish with 10 measly votes, heck, five votes! That comes even close to doing what this blatant obvious lie claims is the one thing most desired by their customers.

Unless the request came from the same "many gamers" that demanded that Gog don't sell Devotion...

The truth is that Gog is pissing on our heads, telling it is raining and many of us are not buying. You should think if that is a behavior you want to encourage. I know I don't.

------------------------------------------------------------

Timboli: If you don't buy the games you would have at GOG and don't buy them elsewhere, you are penalizing their providers. You could also easily be sabotaging the DRM-Free movement, especially if those providers don't get enough sales at GOG ... The offset of doing such, could well weaken GOG ...
Yeah, no. Don't try pulling the "think of the [publisher's] children" card. They can sell on any other store too. Maybe they could join some store where DRM-free isn't just marketing BS? If they sell a game I want on Zoom I guess that's where they will get my money from instead.
Besides, if it hurts then these providers have more of a reason to see Gog's stupid decisions for what they are, and to use their weight to push Gog to correct their course. I know of at least one indie developer that decided not to sell their game on Gog after their Devotion blunder. If many do the same, it's certainly going to shake Gog's resolution of ignoring the valid criticism.

The offset could well weaken Gog... Good. So it's in their interest to react and ensure that that doesn't happen.
If the boycott gets big they will be forced to react, either going back to being a purchase-worthy store or by coming out in the open to clarify that "Yeah, we've decided to fully embrace the dark side and would rather be the store you don't want us to be". In which case I would resign myself to pack up and leave to never come back. But at least then they would actually be open with us.

I have never seen a boycott get any success if their concern is "lets make sure it doesn't get big enough to even as much as inconvenience them". Have you?

Timboli: I really think you should preserve boycotting for if and when GOG do finally go too far, where you will have many more, including myself joining you
The problem is, it is subjective where the line is drawn for everyone.
I saw people that drew that line several blunders ago. Mine were drawn now with these lies (including the CP2077 ones I didn't mention above), the encroaching of DRM and the worldwide censorship to appease one man's fragile ego.
But you don't get to dictate where the line is, except for yourself.
Post edited January 08, 2021 by joppo
joppo: Here, allow me to display how "truthful" Gog is currently being towards us. Let me remind you of this thread where SmollestLight affirmed

We created GOG GALAXY 2.0 ... Since its launch, the most requested new feature has been the option to buy games not only from GOG.COM, but from other platforms as well, straight from the GOG GALAXY app.
joppo: The most requested new feature? Really? Allow me to pull the Community wishlist.
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy#search=buy
or
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy#search=purchase

Find me a single wish with 10 measly votes, heck, five votes! That comes even close to doing what this blatant obvious lie claims is the one thing most desired by their customers.

Unless the request came from the same "many gamers" that demanded that Gog don't sell Devotion...

The truth is that Gog is pissing on our heads, telling it is raining and many of us are not buying. You should think if that is a behavior you want to encourage. I know I don't.
Joppo, regarding the above (I'm making no claims as to whether GOG are truthful or not): we forum users are just a spit in the ocean of GOG customers. The vast majority use social media like twit and facepalm to communicate with GOG. So the wishlist entries are likely not really representative of GOG's overall user base's wishes.

Again, I'm not making any claims as to their truthfulness. Just pointing out that wishlist votes likely don't represent much of the overall userbase views.
rjbuffchix: Never mind those of us who supported this store for years and still come here to mingle with other users or to get updated versions of offline "backup" installers of games we purchased
If only GOG would actually keep them updated, right? :P
Post edited January 08, 2021 by TerriblePurpose
joppo:
TerriblePurpose: Joppo, regarding the above (I'm making no claims as to whether GOG are truthful or not): we forum users are just a spit in the ocean of GOG customers. The vast majority use social media like twit and facepalm to communicate with GOG. So the wishlist entries are likely not really representative of GOG's overall user base's wishes.

Again, I'm not making any claims as to their truthfulness. Just pointing out that wishlist votes likely don't represent much of the overall userbase views.
Yeah... I don't buy it.
You're not wrong that we are much less then the collective of their customers, but come on. Are you really saying that out of all those customers just one at most looked around the website and found the community wishlist? Because there is ONE single vote on a wish that is at least related to this "highly desired" "feature".

Yeah, it is possible, just as it is possible I will win the lottery next week. But both statements strain credibility thinner than a hair split in the middle.
joppo: You're not wrong that we are much less then the collective of their customers, but come on. Are you really saying that out of all those customers just one at most looked around the website and found the community wishlist? Because there is ONE single vote on a wish that is at least related to this "highly desired" "feature".
You mean the wishlist that is only visible as a single menu entry under the community menu ? Heck I am on this site since the beginning and it took me 5 minutes, while looking for it, to find where the whishlist link actually was, usually I use the direct URL to access it, I doubt that apart from forum members anybody is aware that the whishlist even exist.
Time4Tea: I would like to announce that I have decided to boycott GOG for 2021. This is in response to several decisions the site has made over the past year that I believe have been deeply misguided:

Firstly, the continued slippage of GOG's DRM-free values. The promise of 100% DRM-free is what the site was originally founded on and yet GOG seem to be allowing this principle to be increasingly eroded. The games No Man's Sky and Absolver are two examples of games that include single-player DRM, which GOG is aware of and has failed to address. CDPR also seem to continue to believe the rules on GOG don't apply to their own games, firstly with Gwent and more recently the DRMed single-player rewards built into Cyberpunk. In addition, GOG's recent deal with Epic appears to be a cover for GOG to start selling DRMed games.

Next, the continued heavy pushing of Galaxy and the lack of maintenance of the offline installers. Several times in recent months, GOG has given incentives only to Galaxy users in the form of bonus content or free games. This has the effect of making non-Galaxy users feel like second-class customers. Also, there many well documented cases of GOG neglecting to update offline installers, even though they are updating the Galaxy versions, so they clearly have the updated files. This is not acceptable - offline installers are the core of the DRM-free concept. All of this points to a worrying trend which may ultimately lead to GOG abandoning offline installers entirely and making Galaxy mandatory.

Lastly, the recent debacle with Devotion. I won't repeat everything that has been said about this in other threads, but GOG's decision to be complicit in imposing Chinese censorship on non-Chinese users is simply unacceptable. The game needs to be released on GOG immediately.

Actions I would like to see GOG taking:

1) Release Devotion immediately.
2) Remove Gwent, No Man's Sky, Absolver (and any other DRMed games) from the store.
3) Remove DRM from the bonus cosmetics in Cyberpunk.
4) Cancel the deal with Epic.
5) Stop providing free games/incentives only to Galaxy users.
6) Assign adequate resources to maintenance of the offline installers.

For me to make any purchases on GOG this year, #1 needs to happen and at least a couple of the others. I.e. I want to see clear signs of a change in trajectory of the site, away from it's current misguided direction towards being a weak Steam competitor and back towards the principles it was founded on. I had been planning to spend $150-200 on GOG this year, but instead I will be spending that at Zoom Platform, to help build up a viable DRM-free alternative store.

Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?

Edit:

People who are boycotting, to whatever degree they're comfortable with:
1) Time4Tea
2) Lifthrasil
3) mrkgnao
4) joppo
5) kdgog
6) Ancient-Red-Dragon
7) ReynardFox
8) Seceroth
9) TencentInvestor
10) pearnon
11) Leevi
12) gloombandit
13) fronzelneekburm
14) MajicMan
15) Chaossaturn
16) john_hatcher
17) Grahor
18) Orkhepaj
19) rjbuffchix
20) B1tF1ghter
21) _Auster_
22) HappyPunkPotato
23) llamas
24) rtcvb32
25) Setilla
26) fr33kSh0w2012
27) Hexchild
28) GreasyDogMeat
29) GlorFindel
30) Vendor-Lazarus
31) DevotedTitan
32) Zegpi
33) gargus

People who are sympathetic to the concept:
1) Breja
2) TerriblePurpose
3) morolf
4) DukeNukemForever
5) McMicroDonalds
6) WinterSnowfall
7) flanner
8) Dogmaus

(current as of post #268)
Add me to the boycott list. I don't post on the forums often, but I have over 400 GOG games purchased over the course of 8 years. Personally, my decision is entirely driven by Devotion.
Post edited January 08, 2021 by DrearierSpider