It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
B1tF1ghter: One could argue that "DRM free after downloading through SteamCMD" is almost dead on close to "downloaded GOG offline installers with web browser".
For both you only need to do that once, and you do need network connectivity for both.
What about dependencies? You know VC libraries in specific versions, PhysX, registry entries?
ReynardFox: Of course GOG finally closed the Tonight we Riot thread because they are clueless hypocrits.

"It got out of hand!"

The hell did they think was going to happen by giving away a propaganda game from a commie developer? And on May Day? That the forum would break out into sunshine and kittens? I swear GOG must be operating in some bizarro dimension at this point. They sure are making it easy to not spend money here though I tell you what.
Legendary comment. :-D (+)
low rated
B1tF1ghter: One could argue that "DRM free after downloading through SteamCMD" is almost dead on close to "downloaded GOG offline installers with web browser".
For both you only need to do that once, and you do need network connectivity for both.
toxicTom: What about dependencies? You know VC libraries in specific versions, PhysX, registry entries?
WHAT ABOUT dependencies?

PhysX? FOR WHAT? Terminal based software meant for access to content delivery network?
Are you by any chance referring to games' dependencies instead?

If you are trying to say SteamCMD is "bad" because it will not install GAMES' dependencies automatically for you and you have to "install something" then it is a really lame way to try to discredit this piece of software.

"Registry entries" - I am not aware of any that SteamCMD would make. And if by any chance it would then you definitely don't have to make them manually yourself (so what's the problem anyway? Are you windows registry purist that keeps track of EVERY entry of EVERY piece of software? I doubt you have purist level of registry cleanliness but what do I know...).

VC - it is neccessary for most games. I don't remember if SteamCMD requires it. But it's USUALLY already installed on a target computer anyway.
--- -
You know what?
I just took a look at the corresponding Valve Developer docs page (it's been a looooooong while since I last looked at this specific one page) and they actually improved some documentation on it (I think).
There are no dependencies listed for Windows build, for Linux you need:
Debian: lib32gcc1
CentOS/RHEL: glibc.i686 libstdc++.i686

ArchLinux dependencies aren't listed but these would probably be (based on my own personal knowledge of ArchLinux):
lib32-gcc-libs
glibc (dependency of lib32-glibc)
lib32-glibc
libstdc++5

edit:
Fore the record, what I wrote above applies ONLY to SteamCMD. Depot Downloader is entirely different story and you can go check any and all dependencies on their github page:
https://github.com/SteamRE/DepotDownloader
They don't explicitly list any but it seems to rely on NET core 2 at the moment.
Post edited May 03, 2021 by B1tF1ghter
Is it just me or is the SteamCMD topic although an interesting one a little bit OT in an GOG Boykott thread?
Post edited May 03, 2021 by The_Puppet94
ReynardFox: Of course GOG finally closed the Tonight we Riot thread because they are clueless hypocrits.

"It got out of hand!"

The hell did they think was going to happen by giving away a propaganda game from a commie developer? And on May Day? That the forum would break out into sunshine and kittens? I swear GOG must be operating in some bizarro dimension at this point. They sure are making it easy to not spend money here though I tell you what.
Now they also locked the thread about removing Tonight we Riot from the store. Because, you know, when "many gamers" demand a game be removed for political reasons on twitter the game gets removed, but when some actual GOG users do the same on the forum - FCK them.

The best part is that they also edited the title of the locked thread, to remove the title of the game from it :D I guess so that no one even knows what game someone wanted removed. I could not make this shit up.
low rated
Breja: Now they also locked the thread about removing Tonight we Riot from the store...
It was only a matter of time, no surprise there.
Breja: Now they also locked the thread about removing Tonight we Riot from the store...
patrikc: It was only a matter of time, no surprise there.
Does not make it any less staggeringly hypocritical. Remove Devotion for political reasons because "users demand it"? Sure, >poof< it's gone. Sell and later give away a blatantly political pro-communism game? Sure, no problem. People discussing the blatantly political game? Lock it. Users asking for its removal? Lock and censor it.
Post edited May 05, 2021 by Breja
Breja: Does not make it any less staggeringly hypocritical. Remove Devotion for political reasons because "users demand it"? Sure, >poof< it's gone. Sell and later give away a blatantly political pro-communism game? Sure, no problem. People discussing the blatantly political game? Lock it. Users asking for it's removal? Lock and censor it.
I hear you. Unfortunately this appears to be the norm.
low rated
Unless people are boycotting specifically because of this "hypocrisy" (which it isn't, as, among other reasons, the treatment of the two games is not a 1:1 analogy; e.g., one game was already on the store for purchase and the other came close but wasn't available for purchase), I don't see the relevance to this topic.

On that note, I caved recently and bought those shiny new 7th Circle dungeon crawlers. Granted, this is still in keeping with my version of boycott, only buying what I consider must-haves. I have to say GOG has done a better job at these than I thought, as I expected to buy absolutely nothing for most of the year, but that doesn't mean I am satisfied.

I would have wanted to spend more here had conditions re:DRM/Epic Fail partnerships/Galaxy-only rewards/etc improved. Here's hoping they do improve.
low rated

"It got out of hand!"

Breja: Now they also locked the thread about removing Tonight we Riot from the store. Because, you know, when "many gamers" demand a game be removed for political reasons on twitter the game gets removed, but when some actual GOG users do the same on the forum - FCK them.

The best part is that they also edited the title of the locked thread, to remove the title of the game from it :D I guess so that no one even knows what game someone wanted removed. I could not make this shit up.
...Wow. That's hypocritical even by modern GOG standards. Christ.
low rated
rjbuffchix: Unless people are boycotting specifically because of this "hypocrisy" (which it isn't, as, among other reasons, the treatment of the two games is not a 1:1 analogy; e.g., one game was already on the store for purchase and the other came close but wasn't available for purchase), I don't see the relevance to this topic.
I don't see how the game already being available changes anything. The hypocrisy is monumental, I cant fathom how you can deny it. Simply selling a game the users are forbidden from discussing is ridiculous enough.

The whole thing is relevant in that it proves (not that it was not obvious already) that the Devotion incident had nothing to do with listening to any users, but kowtowing to chinese communists. Without such interests on the line similar demands of actual users get censored and silenced.
Many people need to wake the fuck up and realize what is going on here. This can only lead to further bad things in the future. So much for GOG remaining amoral to push products and not to alienate portions of their customer base through political leanings. I for one thought that the whole handling of Devotion was due to greed, pure and simple. It really is looking not to be the case though with these latest developments. In all honesty this is getting to be pretty sickening and goes to show just in what direction the wind has been blowing as of late.
It *is* about money. CDP is a publicly quoted corporation, and there's nothing less Communist than a publicly traded ltd. corp.
If there is any "political leaning" (which may or may not be) it is because they are trying to appeal to a certain market share.
There is no such thing as "ideology" in a money machine, they go where the profit is higher -and CDP has certainly demonstrated that in the last year.
Post edited May 05, 2021 by Enebias
Well, saving money is always good, even more important during these times. While I do have some interest in a few titles here, I am no longer willing to support GOG. I won't go into specifics, I haven't the time, nor the desire to do so, for me a boycott is a boycott, not an indecisive attitude. There is no middle ground as I see it, no such thing as half-boycott. And while initially I was sympathetic with the protest, thinking there is room for improvement all-around, my opinion changed considerably these past weeks. What really tipped the balance was the silence from GOG staff, ignoring several questions and concerns. The giveaway did not help either. The good part? The game is bloody obscure and it will soon be forgotten. It will collect digital dust, as it should.
patrikc: Well, saving money is always good, even more important during these times. While I do have some interest in a few titles here, I am no longer willing to support GOG. I won't go into specifics, I haven't the time, nor the desire to do so, for me a boycott is a boycott, not an indecisive attitude. There is no middle ground as I see it, no such thing as half-boycott. And while initially I was sympathetic with the protest, thinking there is room for improvement all-around, my opinion changed considerably these past weeks. What really tipped the balance was the silence from GOG staff, ignoring several questions and concerns. The giveaway did not help either. The good part? The game is bloody obscure and it will soon be forgotten. It will collect digital dust, as it should.
Well said, my thoughts exactly +1.