It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

bwanaaa: Doctorow reminds me of the activists from the 60s (yes I am that old and typing here on a game forum). .... but never boring in James Fenimore Cooper way.
Welcome to the Old Gamers Club.

I've only read one Doctorow book so far and maybe a short story.
Down And Out In The Magic Kingdom was the one, and I quite enjoyed it ... lots of good food for thought in it too.
A great man who supports DRM-Free.

James Fenimore Cooper is probably no different to most in that era, and certainly better than many. Not that I have read many of his novels ... loved The Last Of The Mohicans, and the movie didn't stray too far or disappoint either.
Post edited December 31, 2020 by Timboli
Timboli: Several years ago I started a novel of Heinlein's, it is still unfinished ... which probably says it all.
EDIT - Just tried to determine which novel that was, but failed. My reading list doesn't show any unfinished read for him ... perhaps because I had barely started it I decided to cancel it all together after several months etc. Or maybe it was Rocketship Galileo, which I took just over a month to read back in June 1997, reading a few other books during that time ... I do that sometimes with books that are a struggle. That was his first book, so could be the one, as the premise seems to be akin to what I recall ... though I was thinking that Space Cadet or Farmer In The Sky seemed more likely titles. I recall a farm boy anyway.few of the Johnny Weissmuller ones too, so he wasn't bad ... just didn't match what I had in my head from the books.
Starman Jones, maybe, with the farm boy who wants to be an astrogator? ? That and The Rolling Stones are the only ones of his juveniles I've read, unless you also count Citizen of the Galaxy. Didn't like The Rolling Stones much, but the other two were OK, but I much prefer his "grown up" books, at least up to and including Starship Troopers, not having read any of his later works yet.
bwanaaa: Attack Surface by Cory Doctorow

Doctorow reminds me of the activists from the 60s (yes I am that old and typing here on a game forum). But the themes in this book are thoroughly modern, from the protagonist (an American version of Lisbeth Salander but without the Aspberger's) to the the themes of privacy, free will, the compromises we make in order to survive, and to the intricacies of network warfare. Yeah he throws words around a little loosely and anyone who works in IT can see fractalization of the holodeck image he paints, but it is sooo good. Sometimes dense in a William Gibson kind of way, sometimes thrilling in a Lames Bond kind of chase,but never boring in James Fenimore Cooper way.
Interesting! I had heard about Cory Doctorow, but had read nothing from him. I used to think of this author as a woman, actually (after Cory Aquino, I supposse). Thanks for giving your take on the book. If I may, I would like you to elaborate a bit on this, if you feel like that:

"anyone who works in IT can see fractalization of the holodeck image he paints"

Since you seem to have a background on IT, I wonder also if you have noticed the difference between writers who write about IT without having any knowledge whatsoever of the matter (viz, Gibson himself) versus writers who actually know their chops, such as Vernor Vinge or Neal Stephenson.

A side not on visionary SF writers/technomancers; There was this best seller by Harari, Sapiens. He exposed ideas directly taken from a seminal essay by Vernor Vinge (about the concept of technological singularity and the three paths to reach one in the future). Harari never gave Vernor Vinge any credit. It leads to wonder how many of the ideas in that book that passes as original are stolen as well?
Have a great new year!!!
Post edited December 31, 2020 by Carradice
I cordially invite you and encourage you to join the party 2021 edition (:
OK, sorry, but these ones still belongs to 2020 :) So:

★★☆ Święty codzienności / Gerard J. M. van den Aardweg
★★★ Blood, Sweat, and Pixels / Jason Schreier
★★☆ Recommender Systems: The Textbook / Charu C. Aggarwal
★☆☆ Recommender Systems Handbook / Francesco Ricci, Lior Rokach, Bracha Shapira
★☆☆ Recommender Systems: An Introduction / Dietmar Jannach, Markus Zanker, Alexander Felfernig, Gerhard Friedrich
★★★ The Survivors of the Chancellor / Jules Verne
★☆☆ The Way We Eat Now / Bee Wilson
★☆☆ Książka moich rozczarowań / Stanisław Mackiewicz
★☆☆ The Way We're Working Isn't Working / Tony Schwartz
★★☆ Principle-Centered Leadership / Stephen R. Covey

List of all books read in 2020.