It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

blotunga: ...
ciemnogrodzianin: Impressive. How many books does it count actually?
If you include the prequel (New Spring, which takes place a couple decades before the main story begins), there are 15 in the series, totalling close to 12,000 pages.
ciemnogrodzianin: Impressive. How many books does it count actually?
GR00T: If you include the prequel (New Spring, which takes place a couple decades before the main story begins), there are 15 in the series, totalling close to 12,000 pages.
Yupp, though I have no idea about the number of pages as I read them on my kindle. They took me less to read than the Malazan series as they are a lighter read, yet it still took me around 5 or 6 months.
GR00T: If you include the prequel (New Spring, which takes place a couple decades before the main story begins), there are 15 in the series, totalling close to 12,000 pages.
blotunga: Yupp, though I have no idea about the number of pages as I read them on my kindle. They took me less to read than the Malazan series as they are a lighter read, yet it still took me around 5 or 6 months.
I've been telling myself I'll finish the Wheel of Time series some day. Stopped after book 6 (because that was all that had been released at the time - I picked the series up around the release of the second book), but Jordan was taking so bloody long to get the next ones out that I fell out of touch with the series and now the thought of having to slog back through the first 6 just to get back to speed is... demotivating. Some day, maybe.
blotunga: Yupp, though I have no idea about the number of pages as I read them on my kindle. They took me less to read than the Malazan series as they are a lighter read, yet it still took me around 5 or 6 months.
GR00T: I've been telling myself I'll finish the Wheel of Time series some day. Stopped after book 6 (because that was all that had been released at the time - I picked the series up around the release of the second book), but Jordan was taking so bloody long to get the next ones out that I fell out of touch with the series and now the thought of having to slog back through the first 6 just to get back to speed is... demotivating. Some day, maybe.
And this is why I haven't yet read A Song of Ice and Fire. I prefer to wait until all books in a series are done. I hate waiting years to continue a story.
blotunga: And this is why I haven't yet read A Song of Ice and Fire. I prefer to wait until all books in a series are done. I hate waiting years to continue a story.
That's what I did. I was halfway through the first Ice and Fire book and then remembered a guy I used to know who was a big Robert Jordan fan and was frustrated by how slowly the books were coming out. I decided to stop read the Martin series until it was finished and that was almost 20 years ago.
Lucky me - I've never started to read Martin and with all the hate now I feel warned. My wife sold out all his books and used some words I cannot use here ;) I'm fine with open-ended stories, but in this particular case I can understand her (as far as it is possible to understand women, of course). We're just going to continue watching the TV series and stay away from GM books.
ciemnogrodzianin: Lucky me - I've never started to read Martin and with all the hate now I feel warned. My wife sold out all his books and used some words I cannot use here ;) I'm fine with open-ended stories, but in this particular case I can understand her (as far as it is possible to understand women, of course). We're just going to continue watching the TV series and stay away from GM books.
Still say that at least the second and third are awesome, absolutely outstanding (first has the usual issues to be expected at the start of a huge series, if you're all right with that, it's very good as well). Fourth drags to a fair extent, fifth even more so, that one's largely worldbuilding in intricate detail, with a focus on various obsessions of Martin's, like heraldry and food...
And the TV series deviated more and more as it went along, and already had book six stuff at the end of the last season, but by this point if something's in the series it doesn't mean it was or will be in the books as well. Starting to assume that the two will have quite different endings at this point.
Cavalary: Starting to assume that the two will have quite different endings at this point.
That differences make me think the book series will not be finished.
ready player one is a super book and cant wait for the film
bakerman34: ...
The book is interesting, indeed, but I still cannot imagine how is it possible to visualize such a story. It won't be easy, for sure.
Cavalary: Starting to assume that the two will have quite different endings at this point.
ciemnogrodzianin: That differences make me think the book series will not be finished.
By now I consider them two different stories which just happen to share the beginning. I have little hope that the book series will ever be finished, though -just this week GRRM mentioned that he only "hopes" that book 7 will be the last. I can't see how a story so complex is supposed to finish satisfactorily in just two books, and there is a reason why the latest TV season felt so rushed.

The being said, the books are so awesome (even the "bad" ones like Feast For Crows), that I can't recommend them enough. While some changes made for TV work very well, in general the book story is miles ahead of the TV show.
Caesar.: By now I consider them two different stories which just happen to share the beginning. I have little hope that the book series will ever be finished, though -just this week GRRM mentioned that he only "hopes" that book 7 will be the last. I can't see how a story so complex is supposed to finish satisfactorily in just two books, and there is a reason why the latest TV season felt so rushed.

The being said, the books are so awesome (even the "bad" ones like Feast For Crows), that I can't recommend them enough. While some changes made for TV work very well, in general the book story is miles ahead of the TV show.
"Finished" in the sense of reaching the conclusion he originally intended for the series. How satisfactory that may be is highly questionable, at this point I'm wondering whether I'd even want to read the last book. And of course the world will still leave a lot to work with if he'll feel like it after that. But yeah, doubt he'll have much, if any, time for an "after".
But even if it won't be finished, was good while it lasted. And like I already said, in a way it may not be that much of a bad thing, depending on just how he intends to finish it.
Caesar.: The being said, the books are so awesome (even the "bad" ones like Feast For Crows)
Why is Feast for Crow considered bad? They get slower, yes, that might piss some people off. So far IMO the books gained with each iteration, both in style and meaning.
toxicTom: Why is Feast for Crow considered bad? They get slower, yes, that might piss some people off. So far IMO the books gained with each iteration, both in style and meaning.
Too slow and too little action I'd say, plus the odd split according to location instead of time, which then gets even messier in book 5 since you have both location and time, with some things being at the same time as book 4 and some after. Also, in a number of ways, perhaps they shock less.
They're outstanding in terms of worldbuilding and scope, but in terms of things actually happening, not so much, and readers also got used to more in this aspect from the first 3 books. Plus, while the scope itself makes the whole series require quite some effort to follow, the way books 4 and 5 are split and the action being spread out so thin likely makes that even worse.
Just trying to analyze, at least, not that I actually checked what reasons others give.
Include me

So far, I only finished Collapse by Jared Diamond. An interesting book that has a wide scope while also digging deep into the reason some civilizations 'failed', or changed massively. For those who found 'Guns, Germs and steel' to be to deterministic: here he fully aknowledges the role of people and ideas in survival. For example: the Greenland Vikings inability to learn skills from the Inuit (because they weren't Christian and wild) had a large impact on their downfall.