It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Include Me

Hyperion - Dan simmons

was surorised at that it just ended with no conclusion, though after a quick google search it showed their were more books
Master911: Include Me

Hyperion - Dan simmons

was surorised at that it just ended with no conclusion, though after a quick google search it showed their were more books
Yeah, if memory serves (without Googling), I believe there are five books in total in the series. Off the top of my head:

Hyperion
The Fall of Hyperion
Endymion
The Rise of Endymion

Can't recall the other one. Maybe only 4?
Include me

I'm new here and I can't tell you how happy I am to find this thread! Reading and gaming are two of my favorite things.

In 2018 I've read:

Smile by Roddy Doyle

The Future is History by Masha Gessen

An Atlas of Countries That Don't Exist by Nick Middleton

God: A Human History by Reza Aslan

The Throne of Caesar by Steven Saylor - I love his Gordianus mysteries although I still admit my favorite Roman mysteries are by John Maddox Roberts.

Hoax: A History of Deception by Ian Tattersall
Post edited October 01, 2018 by MollieLane
Master911: ...
MollieLane: ...
Thanks and welcome!

★☆☆ 21st-century Miracle Medicine / Alexandra Wyke
It's already outdated a bit.

★★★ The Gods Themselves / Isaac Asimov
Great classic. It deserves to be a part of sci-fi canon. Interesting and fresh reading, even after all these years.

★★☆ The Power of Silence: Against the Dictatorship of Noise / card. Robert Sarah, Nicolas Diat
Interesting book for those who want to deepen their faith and looking for some answers regarding God's silence. Beware, it may turn your praying-style upside down. Fascinating.

★☆☆ Sztuka życia dla mężczyzn / Szczepan Twardoch, Przemysław Bociąga
Lifestyle guide for men with a grain of salt. Unfortunatelly, not always funny.

List of all books finished in 2018.
Post edited January 21, 2018 by ciemnogrodzianin
★☆☆ Halo Tato. Historie o dobrym ojcostwie / Konrad Kruczkowski
[Hey, dad. Stories about good fatherhood]

Relatively short reading. Set of reportages about fathers facing great hardship. They realizes most of us are sissies with our complaining about our ridiculous so-called life struggles. I don't know why, but I didn't liked it (with all the respect to these father-heroes). Perhaps it's just a matter of my expectations.

I've tried to read Altered Carbon before Netflix releases their series. I quit about 1/3 into the book; I can't stomach all that sexuality, vulgarity, violence and brutality. Which probably means that I will not watch it either.
Anatol Lieven: America right or wrong. An anatomy of American nationalism.

Interesting book about US nationalism, deals with different aspects like democratic messianism, the role of Christian fundamentalism, and also, in the final chapter, the controversial subject of the US relationship with Israel. Originally published in 2006, this is still quite relevant in many ways.
Started Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Hope I finish in 2018; I thought Don Quixote was long.
★★☆ Za daleki bliski wschód / Zygmunt Kwiatkowski SJ
[Too Far Near East]

Interesting, but kind of depressing book about current situation of Christians living in the Middle East.

Le Théâtre des opérations, journal métaphysique et polémique (The Theatre of Operations, a Metaphysical and Polemical Journal) by french writer Maurice G. Dantec.

Now passed away (recently), Dantec was my favourite french writer. I've read and re-read his books a lot of times. And at the same time, I had a kind of love/hate relationship with his writings. His novels and his non-fictions writings are two different things. Le Théâtre des opérations, journal métaphysique et polémique (The Theatre of Operations, a Metaphysical and Polemical Journal) is of the second category. In this book, he talks freely and politics, science, religion, literature and other things. And he is infuriating, because at the same time I completely agree and disagree with him. What makes me finally appreciate so much his work is that, especially when I disagree with what he wrote, it's very thought-provoking and makes me think about things in a different way. And I guess that was his goal from the beginning.

I don't know if his books are available in english or in any other language, but if they are, give it a try, starting by his novels.

A bit of advice: it's better, according to me, to read his books in the chronological order he wrote them. You can literally see his style change and it makes some of his later books a whole lot easier to understand.

So far in 2018 https://www.gog.com/forum/general/books_finished_in_2018/post9
Ivanhoe

Reading a classic wasn't likely to turn out well, and it didn't, but for some reason I found myself remembering taking a long look at the old Romanian edition of Ivanhoe that was among those given away after being set aside for this purpose some time ago by my dad, and grabbing the free Kindle edition as a result. But then I also checked the Library and saw that they had it in English as well, so I borrowed that instead... And then struggled with it for almost two weeks, rather having to force myself to keep reading. But I'll nevertheless admit there's some value to be found in it if, without being strict about realism, you have the right amount of interest in the period depicted and, more importantly, make plenty of allowances for that during which it was written.
Now there's not much left to say about a book first published just shy of two centuries ago, and even less after the expert introduction and notes found in this edition, which also point out historical errors and anachronisms I otherwise wouldn't have been aware of, but I will mention that needing to keep flipping back and forth due to the notes being at the end instead of at the bottom of the pages definitely didn't help. Past that, just a quick and incomplete list of issues, in random order: The author tends to skip back and forth in time, which may be confusing. With few exceptions, Rebecca likely being the most notable, characters lack depth, to the point that plenty may be best referred to as caricatures. It's odd that the book's titled after a character that's presented and does less than quite a number of others. There are frequent lengthy and particularly convoluted descriptions and explanations, likely to bore and even confuse. Speech is particularly forced and theatrical. For that matter, I guess the whole thing can be seen more as a play... But, returning to those necessary allowances, maybe that raised far fewer eyebrows back when it was written.

Rating: 3/5 (GR | blog)
Post edited February 09, 2018 by Cavalary
Tarzan and the Ant Men, by ERB. This is pretty crazy even by Tarzan standards. It starts off with Tarzan learning how to fly an airplane, but he gets a bit too cocky and crash lands in a remote area that's completely walled off from the outside world by a nigh-impenetrable barrier of thorny foliage. He quickly discovers a lost species of humanity in which sexual dimorphism favors women over men in a really big way, so the women are all hulking mute giants who cruelly dominate the tinier men. Even the super-strong Tarzan, upon encountering one of these women, is like "Uh, NOPE" and tries only to escape. (Now I wonder if this book is where Futurama got the idea for the Snoo Snoo.) Burroughs goes on one of his weird "man of his time" philosophical rants about how the concepts of love and devotion, which lead to societal progress, actually come from men possessing (and using) superior physical force because look what happens when it's women who have the edge - you just get an arrested state of savagery and people stuck at the cave dweller stage. Take that, you uppity suffragettes.

Tarzan eventually makes his way further into this lost world and meets the titular "ant men", who turn out to be "white pygmies" who have a highly developed civilization of warring city-states contained in towering domes (Burroughs, who might have been one of the few people of his era who thought The Great War was fantastic, goes on another tangent about how constant war is actually pretty healthy for a society). He gets captured by the bad guys and somehow shrunken down to their size and enslaved, and has to make a daring escape.

When the plot is actually moving it's got some decent Tarzan action in it, but I found it a slog to read because Burroughs so often weighs the book down with exposition about his latest lost world. Paragraph after paragraph on these people's customs, social structure, architecture, language (holy crap, their names are a mouthful), etc. The story as a whole is also a bit of a ramble, as it looks like the book is going to be about one thing (the Snoo Snoo women) and then it turns out to be about these other people, and then Burroughs is like "oh crap, I forgot about the other stuff..." and has to hastily resolve it and a couple of other threads carried over from the previous book.
★★☆ Ossów 1920 / Wiesław Jan Wysocki

Quite interesting book about one of the most important battles in modern history. Focused on places close to where I live now.

★★☆ Afrykańska mozaika / African Mosaic / Marek Pasiuk

Book written by catholic missioner, mainly focused on Congo. A lot of interesting observations.

★☆☆ The Handmaid's Tale / Margaret Atwood

Rather meh dystopian novel. I don't understand all the hype. I suppose it's somehow fuelled by ideology. I guess that the story resonate with some popular political trends.

★★☆ Tajemnica Guadalupe / The Mystery of Guadalupe / Wincenty Łaszewski

All you need to know about apparitions of Our Lady in Guadalupe. Nothing new, but nice condensed facts for those who don't know the subject.

I have now finished my journey through The Wheel of Time, started somtime in the autumn. It was an epic journey, and I have to say Brandon Sanderson did justice to the series with the finishing trilogy. Looks like I'm puttin Mistborn on my to-read list. All in all I can recommend the books to everyone, but be prepared for a long read.
blotunga: ...
Impressive. How many books does it count actually?