It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Garden of Rama
Rama Revealed - Arthur C. Clarke

Third and Fourth installments of the Rama series. The conclusion of the S-F/human saga through the stars. Third volume was a bit of drag, a bit too much on the human drama side for my taste, but the fourth volume gave an interesting conclusion to the series. A recommended read!

So far in 2018: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/books_finished_in_2018/post9
Too close to Home -- Linwood Barclay
There's a character which really reminds me of a well-known political figure. I think it was worth a read for that, but it steals the attention from the murder mystery I was supposed to care about. Also strange that the book reveals what I guess was supposed to be a major plot twist on its cover.

Anansi Boys -- Neil Gailman
I couldn't swallow all the epic folkstale stuff. But despite that I didn't care for the books theme, I found it a really great read. It has a perfect flow and the writing is just so engaging!

The Alienist -- Caleb Carr
The book behind that there TV-series on Netflix. Really good research in late 1800s New York. But the tale itself wasn't all that memorable. But the TV version should be good.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter -- Jeff Lindsay
Picked this one up because of the TV-series. Didn't finish it because it was just not very good. His monologue about how empthy he feels are beyound tedious. Worse, yet, are his tired dad jokes where the punchline is that he is a serial killer. This reminded me of the novel "The Girl in 6E" which also had an awesome pitch, offset by uninspired writing.

I Is an Other: The Secret Life of Metaphor and How It Shapes the Way We See the World -- James Geary
The message in this book is that metaphors are not just used for high-brow postering, but are a cornerstone that we use constantly to construct our everyday thoughts. Really great book. The writing is really inspired, with the author being very much aware of which metaphors he use. (how couldn't he)
Post edited July 29, 2018 by KasperHviid
Meg - Steven Alten

Meg is not a woman. Meg is in fact the infamous Megalodon, that prehistorical super-shark that hunted movies and video games for quite a while. If I'm not mistaken, Meg is also supposed to become a movie later this year.

Let's be honest: I found Steven Alten to write a kind of "sub-Jurassic Park" book. It wasn't very well written, the characters were borderline caricatural archetypes and the conclusion makes no sense if logic is to be ever involved in that story. Not even speaking about the love story.

To make it short, Meg isn't very interesting in itself. But I've discovered it was only the first volume of a 5-books series, so maybe it gets better later. Don't if I'll make the effort to grab the other tomes, though.

★★☆ The patients / Jürgen Thorwald
★★★ Machine Learning with R - Second Edition / Brett Lantz
★☆☆ The Magic Mountain / Thomas Mann
★☆☆ I jak tu nie biegać! / Beata Sadowska

List of all books finished in 2018.
Post edited August 26, 2018 by ciemnogrodzianin
The Cellar by Natasha Preston.. it was a really fun mystery horror novel and its very visualising..i'd give a fair a warning for people against gore cuz this book as alot of it
in my opinion i give it 10/10 stars loved it to hell
[https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19155234-the-cellar
Post edited August 20, 2018 by SkelettalAngel
I just read Alison Bechdel's Are You My Mother? and I got a lot out of it.
I also read the first part of Don Quixote. Starts off good, but by the end I wasn't really enjoying it. I'll see if I'll ever get to the second part.
Jade City
The Poppy War
First Law Trilogy
Post edited August 21, 2018 by Sentinel26
Gerin: Just finished The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

Great story. Starts off slow, but they all do. Now I'm eager to find out what happend next in book 2.
Agreed! Amazing story
★☆☆ Pan Samochodzik i Templariusze / Zbigniew Nienacki

The Lost World - Michael Crichton

What's to say? A typical Crichton book: well written, fast-paced and interesting. But for once, I thought the movie did better than the book, which is rare enough to be noted (again, just a personal opinion).

★☆☆ Practical Machine Learning Cookbook / Atul Tripathi

Unlike "Machine Learning with R - Second Edition" by Brett Lantz (also PacktPub), this one was terrible. According to "Credits" there were some editors, proofreader and reviewer involved, but I highly doubt that.

Attachments:
34905796.jpg (22 Kb)
The New York Trilogy - Paul Auster

One of my attempts at "normal" literature. Enjoyed two of the three short stories. Lots of 4th wall breaking, absurd, almost fantastic elements. A good read, even if it's still not my favourite genre.

All that remains - Patricia Cornwell

The third book of the Kay Scarpetta series. Disappointed. An uncharsimatic character, her job (a forensic expert) is almost useless, she does almost nothing towards the case in that book. I'm wondering if I shoud continue that series...

To Journey in the Year of the Tiger

Note: The review refers to the edition included in Sword, Steam and Sky: Four Book Fantasy Bundle.

Excellent writing, interesting setting and characters, and quite a relief to see the focus staying on the main characters and only a couple of times briefly switching to the scheming going on elsewhere. The flowery descriptions are written so well that they're a notable positive aspect, the dialogues are natural, believable, and the same can for the most part also be said about the characters. It's somewhat unpleasant that, despite being part of the group all along, those guards remain generic, expendable and largely ignored, but the main characters have very different personalities, with facets, layers and pasts that are gradually revealed, as their interactions and bonds become deeper. You will get to cheer and even actually care for most of them... Or at least I did.
The problem, however, is the postapocalyptic setting. Fortunately, at least in this book, there are only glimpses of it, so I could largely ignore it and not let it detract from the rest, but I could have really done without it, perhaps only mentioning something about it a few times in order to explain some details about the setting, and the fact that the action takes place on Earth, not on some fantasy world. That's a matter of taste, of course, as I simply dislike the genre, but To Journey in the Year of the Tiger would in pretty much any other way be the start of a good fantasy series, yet, however occasionally and briefly, it insists on jarringly tearing the reader away from all its other aspects, from the atmosphere and even the mindset that suits reading such a book, and jumping into something entirely different and, at least from my point of view, out of place. Definitely makes me dread what's coming.

Rating: 4/5
Waterdeep - Troy Denning

Last tome of the original trilogy of the avatars (D&D universe).

Not much to say, except that it was not as good as in my memories... :p

Just finished the Dark Tower series: The Wolves of the Calla by Steven King. Two more to go!