It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
It's been a week already since the year started.

Get reading!
'Book'marking. Heh.

Dune Messiah - Frank Herbert
Children of Dune - Frank Herbert
God Emperor of Dune - Frank Herbert
Heretics of Dune - Frank Herbert
Chapterhouse:Dune - Frank Herbert
The Confusion - Neal Stephenson
The System of the World - Neal Stephenson
The Mirror of Her Dreams - Stephen R. Donaldson
A Man Rides Through - Stephen R. Donaldson
REAMDE - Neal Stephenson
Seveneves - Neal Stephenson
The Abominable - Dan Simmons
Song of Kali - Dan Simmons
Post edited November 13, 2016 by GR00T
Lev Grossman - The Magicians

Thought I would read it before the same named fantasy series started on Syfy.com.
Post edited January 08, 2016 by Matruchus
Am currently re-reading all the Terry Pratchett books, am up to Jingo so far, so Hogfather was completed this year.
Oh, forgot to post.

The Cavalier Club. Won it on a Goodreads giveaway.
The Wrecking Crew by Donald Hamilton. The second Matt Helm book, in this one Helm is sent to Sweden to rub out an assassin for the other side. Typical high-quality hard-boiled work from Hamilton. The Helm books are vastly different than the Dean Martin movies that inspired Austin Powers.
I picked up a Shannara trilogy. So far, I'm enjoying it. I only finished Sword and Elfstones. I couldn't get through Wishsong. It bored me. I tried twice over a few decades. But I hear the ending is great. :)

I picked this one up on clearance. It looked fun.

I lost my intended next book but just found it: the last book of the Kingdom of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes. I've really enjoyed that series. I hear it's the weakest of the series, but the story must end!

Speaking of fantasy: Robert Jordan. I picked up a few of his Wheel of Times. Everyone loves those books to pieces. I couldn't get past page 50. It was horribly slow and overly descriptive for my tastes. Does it get any better?
"The Return Man" & "Metro 2034" (It's my fuck yeah, it's already the apocalypse, period)
Tallima: Speaking of fantasy: Robert Jordan. I picked up a few of his Wheel of Times. Everyone loves those books to pieces. I couldn't get past page 50. It was horribly slow and overly descriptive for my tastes. Does it get any better?
No. I actually found the first two books very enjoyable. But after that they seem to steadily become more and more slow and overly descritptive. I gave up after book 6, way back when it was released. I've gathered the rest of the series though, and tell myself that one day I'll slog through the lot. But I don't know. Apparently the last few books wiritten by Brandon Sanderson are better though, so it may be worth it to get to the final books and the end of the story.
Tallima: Speaking of fantasy: Robert Jordan. I picked up a few of his Wheel of Times. Everyone loves those books to pieces. I couldn't get past page 50. It was horribly slow and overly descriptive for my tastes. Does it get any better?
GR00T: No. I actually found the first two books very enjoyable. But after that they seem to steadily become more and more slow and overly descritptive. I gave up after book 6, way back when it was released. I've gathered the rest of the series though, and tell myself that one day I'll slog through the lot. But I don't know. Apparently the last few books wiritten by Brandon Sanderson are better though, so it may be worth it to get to the final books and the end of the story.
Thanks for the warning. We're moving in a few weeks. I think we won't be moving these books. :)
I'm actually starting to read the Lotr books again.... finished all my GoT books :)

Also does anyone recommend any 'atmospheric' book like the ones I mentioned? Doesn't have to be high fantasy... Want to read a book (or series) with its own imaginary world that really hooks you up. Please do recommend :)
Zurvan7: I'm actually starting to read the Lotr books again.... finished all my GoT books :)

Also does anyone recommend any 'atmospheric' book like the ones I mentioned? Doesn't have to be high fantasy... Want to read a book (or series) with its own imaginary world that really hooks you up. Please do recommend :)
Check out David Brin's Uplift books (sci-fi). Good world bulding there. If you're into sci-fi, then I highly, highly recommend C.J.Cherryh's Chanur series. Great world building, and some incredibly well done alien species.

Iain M. Banks' Culture novels are a must as well, IMO. First one is called Consider Phlebas.

Oh, and just one more or I'll ramble on forever: Julian May's Saga of Pliocene Exile series. First one is called The Many-Colored Land.
Post edited January 19, 2016 by GR00T
Zurvan7: I'm actually starting to read the Lotr books again.... finished all my GoT books :)

I'm a fan of Shannara. The Sword of Shannara is very, very similar to LotR. Elfstones (the sequel) is what the current MTV show is going through. So it could be a good read-and-watch-along. :)

P.S. And there's an old video game by Legend that was pretty good, too!
Post edited January 19, 2016 by Tallima
Just finished 6 of "The little prince" comic books. (like this one)

Next to read is "Blood on snow" by Jo Nesbo.
Tallima: I picked up a Shannara trilogy. So far, I'm enjoying it. I only finished Sword and Elfstones. I couldn't get through Wishsong. It bored me. I tried twice over a few decades. But I hear the ending is great. :)

I picked this one up on clearance. It looked fun.

I lost my intended next book but just found it: the last book of the Kingdom of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes. I've really enjoyed that series. I hear it's the weakest of the series, but the story must end!

Speaking of fantasy: Robert Jordan. I picked up a few of his Wheel of Times. Everyone loves those books to pieces. I couldn't get past page 50. It was horribly slow and overly descriptive for my tastes. Does it get any better?
Ha, think it's the first time I see someone else reading Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone. Thought those were just lovely, and yeah, that the last one is the weakest was also what I heard at first, and what I saw when checking others' reviews later too, but I beg to differ. Third seemed weakest to me, but fourth, nope. Need to "unpack" it, with how compressed the action is, and he does rather skip on character work and uses fortunate shortcuts, so does feel like that "the story must end!" was his mindset as well and found a way to squeeze enough material for two good books into one, but you have no time to be bothered. And that final part... Oh hell...

As for Sword of Shannara and being like Lord of the Rings, the author readily admits he was strongly inspired by it and tried to write something along that vein, doesn't claim otherwise.
By the way, did you also read the prequel?
Post edited January 20, 2016 by Cavalary