It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

UPDATE: We've temporarily disabled the 3-D Secure authentication protocol as the implementation of new regulations has been delayed in some countries and not all banks yet support it. This way you shouldn't experience any inconveniences during debit and credit card payments.

We'd like to inform you that since today all card payments made in the GOG.COM store will be subject to a new 3-D Secure authentication protocol.

3-D Secure authentication requires additional confirmation of the transaction via your Bank's website or mobile app to prevent fraud in online credit and debit card payments. Thanks to this additional security measure, your personal data and money will be even safer than before.

In case of issues with completing your purchases with cards, please contact our Support team.
GOG.com: We'd like to inform you that since today all card payments made in the GOG.COM store will be subject to a new 3-D Secure authentication protocol.

3-D Secure authentication requires additional confirmation of the transaction via your Bank's website or mobile app to prevent fraud in online credit and debit card payments. Thanks to this additional security measure, your personal data and money will be even safer than before.

In case of issues with completing your purchases with cards, please contact our Support team.
I spoke with my credit union and they're uncertain what this even means. All I can think of is a time long ago when all credit transactions with Poland were immediately stopped/declined. Are we back to that again? What a headache.
fizzywiz: I have to literally call my bank, wait for them to Identify me, explain what's going on. Wait 3 to 5 minutes and then I finally am deemed OK to make a effing purchase...Thanks for the new system GOG -.-
NOT A FAN!
Yeah, from what I'm gathering I might have to do same. Well...

... hate to say it but this will cut my spending on GOG dramatically.

I'm just not willing to order on GOG, then call my credit union during business hours M-F, talk to someone, get them to "ok" the transaction and then finalize the transaction online.

Wow, just having flashbacks of the "old days" when I used to have to tell the credit union why I was purchasing from Poland (and what I was purchasing) for them to ok the transaction. The idea that we're going back to that is INSANE.
Post edited September 14, 2019 by kai2
RoseLegion: If this continues as is I will literally be unable to make any future purcases from GOG which would be a real shame.
I suppose I can at least be pleased I got my copy of Cyberpunk before this new 'security' method broke the store :(
Well look at the bright side: if that comes to pass there'll be some truly exquisite irony in your last purchase being named for a genre that explores the unholy union of tech-sector hubris, government meddling and the corporate finance racket.

I haven't tried this yet so can't comment on my personal situation, but I really hope I'm not going to get pushed out of PC gaming again because some Eurocrats are on a power trip.
I just checked and we don't have paysafe cards in the americas.
RoseLegion: If this continues as is I will literally be unable to make any future purcases from GOG which would be a real shame.
I suppose I can at least be pleased I got my copy of Cyberpunk before this new 'security' method broke the store :(
NovusBogus: Well look at the bright side: if that comes to pass there'll be some truly exquisite irony in your last purchase being named for a genre that explores the unholy union of tech-sector hubris, government meddling and the corporate finance racket.

I haven't tried this yet so can't comment on my personal situation, but I really hope I'm not going to get pushed out of PC gaming again because some Eurocrats are on a power trip.
Great post, thanks :)
Post edited September 14, 2019 by novumZ
Jonny30: I have an idea. Why not make multiple €30 charges from your card? For example, you want to buy a €60 game? Add 2x€30 to your gog wallet. Would that work around it? It would maybe work for other stores too with a wallet system.

Or you know, just stick to under €30 charges. It's cheaper for you. Wait for sales.

GOG should be more clear about this, it's obviously caused a lot of confusion. Make it clear it only affects charges over €30!
1) It's not up to GOG; your bank can still decide to require the verification for purchase values under €30.

2) All banks must require verification after 5 sub-€30 purchases in a row, or if the cumulative value has exceeded €100.
novumZ: I just checked and we don't have paysafe cards in the americas.
NovusBogus: Well look at the bright side: if that comes to pass there'll be some truly exquisite irony in your last purchase being named for a genre that explores the unholy union of tech-sector hubris, government meddling and the corporate finance racket.

novumZ: Great post, thanks :)
well, you can get them it's just kind of a pain.

you'd have to look up on the store locator though.

and it would probably be some random gas station and you'd have to ask the clerk to do something and they'll have no idea wtf you're talking about.

or you can use a money gram kiosk to send money to paysafecard and get a paysafecard pin (there's instructions on the web page), but when I tried going to cvs to use one it's some silly phone that I have no idea how to navigate the phone menus.

but it's possible just annoying
novumZ: I just checked and we don't have paysafe cards in the americas.

Great post, thanks :)
mrcrispy83: well, you can get them it's just kind of a pain.

you'd have to look up on the store locator though.

and it would probably be some random gas station and you'd have to ask the clerk to do something and they'll have no idea wtf you're talking about.

or you can use a money gram kiosk to send money to paysafecard and get a paysafecard pin (there's instructions on the web page), but when I tried going to cvs to use one it's some silly phone that I have no idea how to navigate the phone menus.

but it's possible just annoying
Haha. I'll check Cvs tomorrow though, thanks.
Oy! GOG; the hardships we go through for you!!
kai2: I'm just not willing to order on GOG, then call my credit union during business hours M-F, talk to someone, get them to "ok" the transaction and then finalize the transaction online.
I just completed a purchase for about $20 USD using a regular old credit card. The Gog Galaxy purchase page opened a bank confirmation page in my default browser and then the purchase completed immediately without needing to talk to anyone or fiddle with my phone.

So it must depend on a bunch of details of where you are, what you paid with, who your bank is, and so on. For some people it may be a problem, for others it apparently is minimally invasive (relatively, all things considered).
Zeyes: 1) It's not up to GOG; your bank can still decide to require the verification for purchase values under €30.

2) All banks must require verification after 5 sub-€30 purchases in a row, or if the cumulative value has exceeded €100.
Is that "5 sub-€30 purchases in a row" over a short period of time, or over an indefinitely long period of time, or what? And is that in Euro countries only, or in all countries, do you know?
Post edited September 14, 2019 by faroot

lol, thanks for this, I do enjoy irony so that's one upshot at least :)
Starmaker: seller against card fraud claims. It doesn't help the buyer at all. If your card data is stolen, the perp can use it in a place which doesn't have seller protection, so you're just as fucked
That's inaccurate information. It doesn't matter one iota if your card data is stolen, because in that case you won't be liable for paying even one cent of any of the fraudulent charges which criminals illegally put onto it.
Seems I get an error when purchasing with card, simply a message with a "verify purchase" button. This fails and then directs me to check my credit card for the transaction and contact support if I've been charged.

I then get an error message when I click the support link .....
Attachments:
HappyPunkPotato: Hope this isn't going to be hugely inconvenient for people who don't have a mobile phone.
I'd assume not. Most people might have mobile phones but many do not, such as myself. Any store that would implement a policy that requires a mobile device to be owned is going to lose a large percentage of users business even if it is a minority overall. Losing 10-20% of revenue in a dog eat dog market like gaming would be suicide.
ThorChild: PAYSAFE CARD payment option.

If anyone is having problems with their payments due to this new change to using credit cards, just look into using the Paysafe card option as it is super easy and 100% secure (you buy a 'voucher' of x amount from a corner store and use that, no bank details needed).

Since using it i would never consider using another method, it just works.
novumZ: Paysafe it is!
Thanks for explanation how it works everyone! :)
Your welcome :)

Edit: oh ok your in the USA. Well i think that is more complicated for you (to use the Paysafe method). For me i do it at the same time i play my weekly lottery at the store and it is a very simple 3mins transaction (ask for paysafe voucher for say £25, give then some cash, wait for the voucher to print out then carry on with my day until it's time to get home where i simply use the voucher details to buy games). The info below was before i knew you were USA based.

=================

It really boggles my mind why anyone would want to pay online for anything without using such a system. 100% secure (no bank details are ever needed to be used if using the paper vouchers from the cornershop method) and just very simple and convenient.

Once you have your paper voucher you buy the games you want on GOG, chose the 'paysafe card' payment option then it jumps you to a secure site where you input the numbers on your paper voucher, then when you are done and verify the transaction it pops you back to GOG and your game account where you see the new games added. No 'Banks' involved, no added complexity, NO RISK of personal bank details online etc.

It's a great system although you can end up with some small left over cash on a voucher after buying things and maybe not a choice of game to use that small change up on. You can use vouchers together etc, but i usually just take the loss of £1 or less as part of the 'cost' of having such a secure and convenient option.
Post edited September 14, 2019 by ThorChild
emter_pl: This new authentication protocol is for debit and credit cards only.

Paysafecard is neither - it's a different payment method with its own flow.
MarkoH01: In case you have not noticed. Please keep in mind that the additional step only needs to take place for purchases >30 Euros. (See links above).
Ah cool, I don't use Euros, I use CAD so I wont be affected. Plus I haven't spent $30 on a single transaction on any game store for several years now I don't think. The next one will be for $80 from GOG though, on April 15th, 2020. :P
Starmaker: seller against card fraud claims. It doesn't help the buyer at all. If your card data is stolen, the perp can use it in a place which doesn't have seller protection, so you're just as fucked
Ancient-Red-Dragon: That's inaccurate information. It doesn't matter one iota if your card data is stolen, because in that case you won't be liable for paying even one cent of any of the fraudulent charges which criminals illegally put onto it.
Not entirely true.
You won't be liable to pay if you catch it in time and if your bank or the company the purchases are made through are willing to work with you (not all are all of the time) and if your identity hasn't been compromised beyond your credit card info, there are quite a few people in the US alone who've had to spend years trying to get charges and other damage fixed after their information was compromised and that's before we even touch on things like credit rating.

It's no small number of companies that do only the legial minimum with regards to customer data security and privacy, and even then there's often a cost caculus applied weighing risk of cost if there's a breach, vs certain cost of implimenting and maintianing a new system.

You don't get huge data breaches like those in Zuckbook, Sony circa PS3, or Wells Fargo bank creating unauthorized accounts for their customers, by simple mistake. Multi-billion dollar companies are, as a rule, methodical and profit driven, not hapazard.

UPDATE: Having tested via both Galaxy and browser now payment still faills 100% of the time even with all information fill in correctly and a popup saying it's being verified with my bank. Further no error message is ever given saying there's been a failure to process, I'm stimply dumped back to the cart page.

This appears to be the same system used by Newegg.com, or at least one that askes for the same information in a visually similar format. I am hoping it is not in fact the same system because after trying to get that to work for several months I was forced to give up and have siimply stopped shopping at Newegg entirely.

I don't suppose anyone knows any workarounds for this other than Paysafe? Or more to the point any workarounds that don't require me to have physical cash (I usually don't), make a seperate trip to another physical location (I walk most places and work full time on top of school so that's a real burden for me) and know the exact amount of the charge beforehand?
Post edited September 14, 2019 by RoseLegion