It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's time for a wonderful contest to celebrate the 10th anniversary of THQ Nordic! To join, simply tell us about your favorite memory of all time related to playing video games.

You will have a chance to win 1 of 10 bundles including Darksiders III, Biomutant, Gothic 1, Kingdoms of Amalur, Titan Quest, Destroy All Humans!, ELEX, Desperados III, Outcast 1.1 and Expeditions: Viking! The contest ends on November 19th, 4 PM UTC.
fedayi.92: I do remember that I played at 1024x768, High Quality and all settings in advanced options turned on except Vsync and AA. I vaguely remember the framerate, though. I think it was around 40fps, more or less, but I was very green at the time in terms of PC gaming expertise, and I believe I didn't even install the latest GPU drivers for this game, I simply didn't knew I should. The whole system wasn't particularly optimized, albeit pretty powerful for the time. Judging by the old benchmarks of Doom 3 running on 9800 XT, it should've ran better on my hardware than it actually did, especially since I didn't use anti-aliasing. I remember it ran better on my friend's 9800 Pro, which is a shame, to say the least xD
MysterD: Doom 3 was more of an indoor corridor shooter, while Crysis was more open in its maps and it also was often outdoors. And also, Crysis had INSANE amounts of fidelity. Doom 3 also didn't have tons of enemies on-screen all the time, when compared to say the older Doom games and also compared to even Crysis.

Both were definitely cutting edge stuff, for their time period and all.

If anything, I think Crysis was bound to run worse than Doom 3, IMHO. Glad you got it running at an okay framerate, by back then's standards.

Both Doom series and Crysis series rock, IMHO.
Yes, it definitely felt OK, at least at the time I wasn't picky about that (unlike now, hehe). And I was amazed by the graphics. Stunned, even. Truth be told, to this day I marvel at Doom 3's visual presentation, it's simply my favorite.
MysterD: Doom 3 was more of an indoor corridor shooter, while Crysis was more open in its maps and it also was often outdoors. And also, Crysis had INSANE amounts of fidelity. Doom 3 also didn't have tons of enemies on-screen all the time, when compared to say the older Doom games and also compared to even Crysis.

Both were definitely cutting edge stuff, for their time period and all.

If anything, I think Crysis was bound to run worse than Doom 3, IMHO. Glad you got it running at an okay framerate, by back then's standards.

Both Doom series and Crysis series rock, IMHO.
fedayi.92: Yes, it definitely felt OK, at least at the time I wasn't picky about that (unlike now, hehe). And I was amazed by the graphics. Stunned, even. Truth be told, to this day I marvel at Doom 3's visual presentation, it's simply my favorite.
Well, that was standard back then: hitting 30fps was decent and maybe reaching 60fps.

These days, 60fps is expected but better from 90fps to 240fps is preferred; especially on FPS's, TPS's, or other action-y fast-paced games.

Regardless, those old games rocked.
fedayi.92: Yes, it definitely felt OK, at least at the time I wasn't picky about that (unlike now, hehe). And I was amazed by the graphics. Stunned, even. Truth be told, to this day I marvel at Doom 3's visual presentation, it's simply my favorite.
MysterD: Well, that was standard back then: hitting 30fps was decent and maybe reaching 60fps.

These days, 60fps is expected but better from 90fps to 240fps is preferred; especially on FPS's, TPS's, or other action-y fast-paced games.

Yes, I, for example, try to reach 141 fps locked with G-Sync + V-Sync (playing on a 144Hz monitor). That way it's so smooth you might get dizzy. And I wholeheartedly agree with you on older games. I still play tons of them, more than newer ones, in fact.
Let's see.. probably when I bought Civilization: Call To Power for Linux new in box at a chain store (yeah, I had to drive 50 miles to the nearest bigger city, but still, relatively local/common). I guess that was around 1999. There was a lot of hope in those days. This was the first, and would be the first of many. At least for a while, things seemed to be getting better.

Of course the intervening years have tarnished that memory, but it felt good at the time. CTP was the first, but also the last. NWN was going to be the second, but they backed out and only offered Linux for download for owners of the Windows game (which was still better than nothing, but the Linux port had issues which were never fixed except by hackers, and maybe by Beamdog later on, but I doubt it). The only other physical games I got for Linux were mail ordered from Loki Games, now defunct, which offered some ports of older games. Maybe also Illwinter; I don't remember and my physical media burned in a fire. Is it really any better now, given that companies like THQ Nordic have an official policy of "no Linux ports on gog" and don't catch any flak for it?
Post edited November 13, 2021 by darktjm
MysterD: Well, that was standard back then: hitting 30fps was decent and maybe reaching 60fps.

fedayi.92: Yes, I, for example, try to reach 141 fps locked with G-Sync + V-Sync (playing on a 144Hz monitor). That way it's so smooth you might get dizzy. And I wholeheartedly agree with you on older games. I still play tons of them, more than newer ones, in fact.
I have a 1080p G-Sync 240hz monitor myself. It's nice when I can get a game to run that much like a top, if possible.
Fondest memory ever: When I for first time finished Fallout 2.

It was after more than one month of (alsmost) daily gaming. When I finally killed last boss. Then saw in outro how all story lines were conlcuded. Fantastic. How many of my previous actions had impact on continuing of post apocalytpic world. It's really remarkable. At least in my memory.

Thanks Black Isle Studios.
Possibly my favorite memory - A few years back I was living in a hostel with my mates. During winters, a month before our exams we were given 2 weeks leave. All of my friends and other residents of the hostel went away, either for vacation or to be with their family. I did not go, I was Alone, the lone resident in the whole 5 storey building! I played so many games, especially horror ones for as long as I could, Witcher 3 being my favorite. Wonderful moments.
#GOGxTHQNordic
Post edited November 13, 2021 by Daftgreyhead
Going to the Arcade!
Stepping in one for the first time was magic. Back in time when playing videogames was frown upon (at last in my country) and you were a society outcast for it (it wasn't cool then); it was like discover a place were you were just one more in the community, one more among many normal people who just loved to play, to have fun, to go in a digital adventure, action show or whatever. It was liberating The videogames were awesome. So many in one place, so many diferent types. It really was breathtaking.
So every time I entered an Arcade is one of my favorite memories related to videogames. The feeling each time I went in to play ('cause at home we could not afford a console, and PC were rare) was of elated thrill.
I still reatin that anticipation
Post edited November 19, 2021 by Biruchi
fedayi.92: Yes, I, for example, try to reach 141 fps locked with G-Sync + V-Sync (playing on a 144Hz monitor). That way it's so smooth you might get dizzy. And I wholeheartedly agree with you on older games. I still play tons of them, more than newer ones, in fact.
MysterD: I have a 1080p G-Sync 240hz monitor myself. It's nice when I can get a game to run that much like a top, if possible.
That is even better. You can even play at a locked 120fps on such a monitor and it will probably still feel a little smoother than 141fps on 144Hz. Better when you can reach 240fps, of course, but that's reserved for e-sports titles and older games.
So many! Beating Might&Magic III back then and progressing even further until i read the message like "only few players reach this point, congratulations" is still a nice memory. It's a pity no one resurrects the M&M franchise, I'd love to see this series in a modern look and feel!
[deleted]
Post edited December 22, 2021 by Callyrr
I like to think I am one of the pioneering dirty campers of the online game computer age.

My favourite memory is playing Starsiege Tribes which came out in 1998. The map was Raindance, the ping averaged around 420ms, my tent was pitched on a distant hill which if you stood in just the right spot gave a view of the vehicle station outside the enemy base. The times were good.

Players would queue up at the vehicle station waiting to access the vehicle ordering interface. When they did, I shot them in the head. One shot wasn't enough for an instant kill so you had to let your rifle recharge just a little before shooting again. This gave the person ordering the vehicle a (very) small window of opportunity to recognise the nasty sizzling sound of their brains being fried, exit the menu and run for cover. Not many did. Most desperately tried to finish their vehicle order before the second shot. Most fell over dead.

What usually happened was the second shot left their body flopping to the floor and then instead of thinking "Oh shit, the person in front of me just got shot in the head! Twice!", the next person in the queue thought "Sweet! The guy in front of me in the queue died! Now I can order my vehicle!" - you can imagine what happened shortly after that.

The fun didn't stop there. Players respawned and, yes, rejoined the back of the queue. They were visibly agitated, jumping up and down with their jetpacks, watching the people at front of the queue flop and fall over dead, but when their time came they still walked back up to the interface, plugged themselves in, and heard their brains fry. Some people REALLY wanted a vehicle.

Inevitably someone would eventually successfully order one, and then rocket across the map in a scoutship to give me some payback. Tribes was way ahead of its time and allowed you to set up turrets and mines. Sometimes the guy in the scoutship would get the satisfaction of blowing me to smithereens, but usually they would bail out to fight on foot which was a lot easier, but ironic considering how much time and suffering they just went through to get the vehicle.

Anyone getting out on foot found themselves in a world of mines and turrets and pain. So much pain.

The times were good. The memories are warm and fuzzy.
And of course playing through the "Towerful of mice" quest in Witcher The Wild Hunt. This quest was so amazing that after all the time I first played it it's still standing out as an incredible gaming moment!
Back in 1983 I was a very bored housewife with 3 small children. My neighbors all worked so there was no one near me to talk to. Then I met Debbie. She was the wife of one of my husband's friends and she introduced me to video games. We would spend hours on the phone talking through possible solutions to Zork, Enchanter, Planetfall and Sorcerer. I really think Debbie and my Commodore 64 saved my sanity (although not my marriage) and it's a wonderful memory.
My best memory with video games is the time I spent with my native town friends and grand parents. During my school vacations, I used to visit my grand parents in our native town. They had the VCR (Cd player) with a game CD from Akira consisting of 100 games. I used to play multi player games with the Neighbouring children. Eventually we all became good friends and are still in touch. My grand parents sometimes joined the game with me, though they would just quite the game in few min (they were senior citizens). When they used to visit us back, they would sometimes bring different game cassettes.

I cherish those memories and days.