It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Today we have a HUGE surprise for all classic game fans! 4 outstanding titles return to GOG.COM, accompanied by a special message from their publisher:

„Syndicate and Ultima Underworld are back! It seems that twenty years on there’s still plenty of love for these titles so we’re pleased to confirm that effective immediately they’ll be available again on GOG, and we’ll be keeping them in the store for the foreseeable future. To celebrate this we’re offering these games as a free download for four weeks.”

That’s right! Until the 3rd of September 2021, 5 PM UTC, you can grab copies of Syndicate Plus™, Syndicate Wars, and Ultima Underworld I & II free of charge.

So, don’t hesitate any longer and dive into the captivating worlds of those classic gems!
Thank you! Now we need more Crysis, with some C&C on top.
Thank you!
I like to take the presents with me, even though I bought Ultima Underworld years ago. Thank you for the presents. Fortunately, I didn't let myself be tempted into buying the Syndicate games when it was announced that they would be removed.
Awesome! I wonder why are they giving them away, is there going to be some sort of a new UU game or something from SW to promote it? (maybe the UU Kickstarter that panned will be released here, and this is a promo for it)? Or is it just to celebrate them being back on the store?
Post edited August 08, 2021 by Green_Hilltop
自在猫: Thanks! Bought all of them right after hearing the upcoming removal. Can't say I wasn't a bit upset when knowing I could have gotten them for free one month later. But I guess it's still better than regretting losing the chance for good to get them DRM-freed. Not gonna refund considering I got them at the price that was cheap enough (yeah, money still mattered). Just hope EA will bring more of their facinating titles onto GOG.
TomNook: I too bought them when I heard that they were to be removed. Sad panda. :(
It's pretty bizarre for me to see here that some are getting so outraged that people are asking for refunds.
I suggest you both request refunds. That's what the system is in place for. The companies and organisations are subservient to the people, not the other way around.
"It seems"...

No. It only "seemed" that way to you. Not to people here.
Ultima Underworld is one of my all time favorites. Decades ago it was responsible for many late, late nights where I just needed to look around the next corner or behind that new door again and again. I've had it in my GOG bookshelf since a long time ago.

It's nice to see it back (even though I didn't realize it had been de-listed); it's truly a "Good Old Game".
Thanks a lot for this!
Thank you!
Green_Hilltop: is there going to be some sort of a new UU game or something from SW to promote it? (maybe the UU Kickstarter that panned will be released here, and this is a promo for it)?
Ascendant, you mean? Different publisher there, why it wasn't even called Ultima. Or is there another? Couldn't find anything about one at least, nor did PCGamer, who only say "dare to dream" about something new.
Thank You!
DavidOrion93: Thank you very much! I've always been curious about these games.
Syndicate Plus is excellente. The looks are cleaner than those of Syndicate Wars, although the latter show a darker world by night, in a Blade Runner fashion.

There is a worthy successor of sorts in Satellite Reign (2015), although the latter offers you free roam around the world, unlike the original SP (but in a similar way to SW, IIRC).
be
I would try Syndicate first, but that is a personal preference. It is a little bit like Commandos (but maybe not as complex) with cyber-enhanced agents in a gritty corporate near future.
amrit9037: Ultima Underworld is great!
Thank you for the giveaway!
Never tried it so far! Wondering whether I ought to sink my teeth into some of the regular Ultima games in order to appreciate it or not. Does it stand alone well?
Post edited August 09, 2021 by Carradice
Thanks for free games! : )
You forgot to mention. Only for selected regions. And no, I am not in such region.

Your order contains Ultima™ Underworld 1+2, which cannot be purchased as a gift in your region at this time. To proceed with your order, please remove Ultima™ Underworld 1+2.

Your order contains Syndicate Plus™, which cannot be purchased as a gift in your region at this time. To proceed with your order, please remove Syndicate Plus™.

Your order contains Syndicate Wars™, which cannot be purchased as a gift in your region at this time. To proceed with your order, please remove Syndicate Wars™.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ultima-underworld-the-stygian-abyss/

(Quote is from above HG101 article):

Ultima Underworld may not have been the very first first person 3D game (id Software’s Hovertank 3D and David Braben’s Elite came earlier, as did many others), but it was a direct influence on the games of id Software which popularized the genre. David Kushner in his book Masters of Doom relates a story about how the texture-mapping of Catacomb 3-D and the speedy world rendering of Wolfenstein 3D were inspired by a tech demo of Ultima Underworld that John Carmack, id Software’s lead programmer, had seen and decided to try to improve on.