It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I just watched 1922 (2017). It wasn't much of a scary movie but a decent psychological thriller nonetheless. It's a compelling depiction of how guilt can plague a man. Although a slow burn, the storytelling and impressive lead performance make it worth watching, just don't expect any scares (unless you have rat phobia :P )
I've watched a number of movies over the past few days. I liked Saw 6 and 7, there was a definite upswing in quality at the end of the franchise, even if they're still not as good as 2. Also watched Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension. Kinda strange way to end that series, but interesting. Metamorphosis (the 1990 one that's not Metamorphosis: The Alien Factor) was... not good, but rather silly. I watched a movie called Body Melt and I liked it a lot, but it's fucking weird and Australian, and I guess it was inspired by early Peter Jackson, so I guess Bad Taste is next on my list. Maybe toke up before watching? Has a radical soundtrack, and you can't go wrong with a tagline like this one.

Stage 1: Hallucinations
Stage 2: Organ Failure
Stage 3: Body Melt
Post edited October 23, 2017 by doccarnby
Friday the 13th part V: A New Beginning. Aka the "Fake Jason one". This picks up a few years after the previous movie and Tommy Jarvis/Corey Feldman has grown up to be...someone (I don't recall the actor) with emotional problems who's checking into a home for troubled youth. Then people start getting killed, so the idea is that we're supposed to be wondering if Jason's spirit has somehow infected Tommy.

"Hey, it's that guy!" - the kindly boss of the home is the guy who gives his fedora to young Indiana Jones in The Last Crusade.

This movie is not just lousy, it's downright obnoxious even by the franchise's standards. Most modern horror films feature very unlikable characters so we'll actually cheer when they get killed instead of feeling horrified, but most of this movie's characters are cartoonishly repulsive. It feels like it was written by 12 year old's.
WireHead: Besides the games already mentioned, if you are into adventure games, Jack the Ripper and Post Mortem are two games which, although not scary per se, have a great mood, specially because of the game ambient and music used.
Post Mortem crashes every single time when I try to start the game. I read that you need to start it in admin mode, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Do you have any idea what else I could try? ( Using Windows 7 here. )
CharlesGrey: Post Mortem crashes every single time when I try to start the game. I read that you need to start it in admin mode, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Do you have any idea what else I could try? ( Using Windows 7 here. )
Unfortunately, I can't help much. I played it years ago, still on a XP machine and when it came to GOG ended up buying it, but I have yet to install it and play it on Windows 7 or later.

Besides running the game in admin mode, have you tried unchecking/checking the compatibility options?

I've quickly browsed the PostMortem/Still Life forums and didn't found a specific thread for this, but try out your luck there.

I've found this one for Still Life, and although some people seemed to play the game without problems on Windows 7, other had problems. Maybe try these steps:

"I have it running with NT4 compatibility more (which was selected by default) and the following options: Disable visual themes, and Disable desktop composition. It appears as though the game will fail to start if you click launch from the installer (the last step of the install) but if you go in the start menu (or desktop icon) it will work without any need for configuration."

If this doesn't work, try contacting GOG support. I had some experience with them for playing some older games in my Windows 7 and they were quick to respond and help me find out a solution for my problems.
So, I just started my Halloween Movie Week with House of the Long Shadows. It's... not what I expected. I don't want to go into spoilers (anything more than that blurb from IMDB would be too much), I'll just say that it's very meta, but has great atmosphere and actually reminded me somewhat of In the Mouth of Madness, though much lighter. Still, the real selling point is the cast- you've got Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, Peter Cushing and John Carradine together in one spooky movie - what could possibly beat that?
Thinking that I have played and completed Two Worlds gives me shivers. :p

I second playing Costume Quest. I was doubtful of the game in the beginning, but it's a good one.
Count Floyd!
So, I just watched Phantasm, and boy is this a worthless pile of crap. How did this get popular and star a franchise? It makes no goddamn sense at any point (the ending doubly so), it's not scary just terribly stupid and silly, the acting is pretty bad, there's just nothing interesting, scary or in any way redeeming about it. I'm just pissed off I totally wasted an hour and a half.
I started a second thread, specifically for sharing some real life creepy stories ( real or made up ), and I'm giving away a copy of Darkwood for the best story. You can check it out here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/spooky_fireside_stories
WireHead: Unfortunately, I can't help much. I played it years ago, still on a XP machine and when it came to GOG ended up buying it, but I have yet to install it and play it on Windows 7 or later.

Besides running the game in admin mode, have you tried unchecking/checking the compatibility options? ...
I tried admin mode and compatibility settings, but nothing works. However, I'm using a retail version, not a GOG copy. Got it from some Adventure game collection a few years back... I decided to play some other games for now, but maybe I'll just buy a GOG copy of Post Mortem, if I feel like giving it another try.

By the way, I didn't realize the game is connected to the Still Life series. How did you like Still Life 1 & 2?
Post edited October 28, 2017 by CharlesGrey
Breja: So, I just started my Halloween Movie Week with House of the Long Shadows. It's... not what I expected. I don't want to go into spoilers (anything more than that blurb from IMDB would be too much), I'll just say that it's very meta, but has great atmosphere and actually reminded me somewhat of In the Mouth of Madness, though much lighter. Still, the real selling point is the cast- you've got Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, Peter Cushing and John Carradine together in one spooky movie - what could possibly beat that?
I've watched that one a few years back. As far as I remember it's mostly fan service for fans of classic Horror and all those iconic genre actors. Not particularly scary, but it has some memorable moments... To quote from another review: "where else will you hear Vincent Price hiss "bitch" to Christopher Lee?".
Post edited October 28, 2017 by CharlesGrey
Breja: So, I just started my Halloween Movie Week with House of the Long Shadows. It's... not what I expected. I don't want to go into spoilers (anything more than that blurb from IMDB would be too much), I'll just say that it's very meta, but has great atmosphere and actually reminded me somewhat of In the Mouth of Madness, though much lighter. Still, the real selling point is the cast- you've got Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, Peter Cushing and John Carradine together in one spooky movie - what could possibly beat that?
CharlesGrey: I've watched that one a few years back. As far as I remember it's mostly fan service for fans of classic Horror and all those iconic genre actors. Not particularly scary, but it has some memorable moments... To quote from another review: "where else will you hear Vincent Price hiss "bitch" to Christopher Lee?".
Yeah, pretty much. It's sort of like The Expendables of classic horrors. But it knows what it is and it's well made. It's not really meant to be scary, as much as somewhat spooky and just fun for the fans.
I told this story to my children one year, they asked for it for several years afterwards. Now I want to tell the grandchildren, my daughter says not to as her two children get frightened easily. Maybe next year....

(4 Minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=712f_313tm8
Post edited October 28, 2017 by bonzer
Everyone should play The Count Lucanor. It has faults and multiple endings, so the faults are really noticeable on replay, but before you figure out how things work it makes for very, very effective horror.
Starmaker: Everyone should play The Count Lucanor. It has faults and multiple endings, so the faults are really noticeable on replay, but before you figure out how things work it makes for very, very effective horror.
Leroux(?) recommended that one to me, so I picked up a copy in the current Steam sale, but haven't tried it yet. Why isn't that one on GOG, anyhow? Seems like a fairly small Indie production. Too niche?