It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Usually, we just want to kick back and play video games to relax. But sometimes we all feel that need for something more, for something deeper, something rich. That something is A Plague Tale: Innocence. Through its riveting and deeply touching narrative, it mesmerized players all across the world, won many awards, and put the spotlight on a team of people determined to craft titles that would be remembered as part of gaming's history. So today, let's learn more about how A Plague Tale: Innocence was made, and who better to guide us than Aurélie Belzanne, head of communication at Asobo Studio.

GOG.COM: Hey Aurélie, thanks for speaking to us today. First off, could you introduce the two main characters of A Plague Tale: Innocence and the general setting of the game?
Aurélie Belzanne (Head of Communication): Hi! The two main heroes of A Plague Tale: Innocence are Amicia, a 14-year-old girl, and her young brother Hugo who is around 5 years old. They don’t really know each other at the beginning of the story; they grew up apart because Hugo is sick and very fragile, and their parents locked him up to try to cure him. But a tragic event throws them on their own, in the middle of a chaotic world ravaged by an unexplained disease that kills everyone on its path and personified by huge devouring swarms of rats. The whole story is basically about how to grow up and survive facing one of the most extreme situations that humanity was faced with.

Could you tell us why you chose to set your story in medieval times, and how being based in France helped in creating the landscapes of the game?

The 14th century is a turning point in European history. Major events happened that changed the lives of millions of people forever exactly like Amicia and Hugo, our two sibling heroes. There’s the Hundred Years' War with the Plantagenets and Valois fighting for the French throne, the Inquisition, the Black Death decimating the population indiscriminately, etc. We were looking for a particular context and this one was just perfect for what we wanted to tell: a brutal, grim, yet deeply inspiring tale – just like the folktales we would read or hear when we were young children. Moreover, here in Bordeaux, France, all around our studio, we can still see lots of medieval vestiges. It seemed a good start to explore.

The game was acclaimed for its heart-wrenching narration and the beautiful relationship between Amicia and Hugo. What was the hardest part in creating this deeply human relationship and making it so believable?

It was a mix of lengthy research in narratively intense situations that could be believable, both in terms of feelings and interactivity, and in lovable yet grounded character designs, while also finding a cast that could create a deep connection with the players. It was definitely a risk to choose children, but, in the end, our young actors were fantastic and proved we made the right decisions. All these elements were key to creating strong and moving bonds between the two kids and with the other characters they meet.

Olivier Deriviere composed a grim and emotional soundtrack, how early in the development of the game did the work on its music start and how did both those things influence each other?

Olivier’s creation is definitely something that helped the game find its tone and a way to touch players. He immediately embraced our story and game with as much passion as us, and what it did just magnified our vision. Together with the team, he found how to connect the mood and the player’s actions. Alongside him, we learned things that helped build a grounded and tense atmosphere, blending sound design, instrumental melodies, ambient noises, and dialogues. It is not just a professional partnership between us all, it is something stronger and very rich.

We must admit we're not huge fans of critters, how well did the whole team handle spending their days amidst swarms of ferocious rats?
It was not such a big deal for us, fortunately. In many of our games, there were already one or two rats here and there - maybe it was a sign! The truth is that rats are part of the cast somehow. They are not only embodying the forces of nature, but are also one of the main characters. Of course, it can be something disgusting because we wanted them to feel visceral, massive, and never-before-seen. If they feel that way to the players, it means we took on this challenge in the right way.

Ready to experience a story about love and survival? Dive into A Plague Tale: Innocence and discover France as you've never seen it before.
low rated
tomimt: I'd say it is a stealth game, not a walking simulator. Stealth is the most prominent gameplay aspect in it.
I disagree with that. I would say the "most prominent 'gameplay' aspect" is, rather, doing the exact one precise thing that the game needs the player to do in order to trigger progress, because doing so is the only way to activate the next pre-scripted event/cutscene, of which this game is mostly just an endless series of.

Triggering the next pre-scripted event/cutscene mostly involves either moving to the exact right spot where the player is supposed to move, and/or pressing/pulling the exact right switch/lever that the player is supposed to press/pull.

In contrast, in real stealth games, like the old Assassin's Creed games, for example, the player is given a huge leeway and wide variety of methods as to the means by which he will complete a mission, and real stealth games are not dependent upon triggering new pre-scripted events/cutscenes constantly.

Real stealth games also do not depend extremely heavily on "trial and error" 'gameplay' via repeatedly dying in the same section of the game many times until you figure out the exact one & only "right way" you were 'supposed to' use to get past that section since only that one possible way exists to get the next cutscene to trigger, and any other method will result in the player dying and having to repeat that part.

But with games like A Plague Tale that process is exactly what the player is forced to endure, which is incredibly boring and tedious.

The closest "games" to A Plague Tale which I played were the Outlast "games," which are also glorified/gussied-up walking simulators, frequently misrepresented as "stealth games," and which likewise suffer from all the same problems that I just described (which is surely because that type of game design is inherently bad, IMO).
Post edited July 15, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Dogmaus: And wasn't innocence a day one release here?
Mr.Mumbles: I don't think it came here until the Fall of the same year when Focus started releasing their games again here in earnest. Can't find the actual release thread via Google right now.
I found it here.

Edit: I found it using the forum search. :P
Post edited July 15, 2021 by Trooper1270
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: Yep, that sounds about right, so walking crouched :o) boring as hell. But graphically really nice.
tomimt: Well, to each their own. I thought it was quite a good game.
True, I prefer more action. Even when playing thief for instance. As I say though, graphically very nice.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: ...In contrast, in real stealth games, like the old Assassin's Creed games...
rolf, good one kind sir:D
low rated
Kasper...: "Masterpiece"...

Joseph Anderson seems to disagree.

It's a cool game, but it's no masterpiece.
yep i disagree too , i dont get why it would be a masterpiece , and as you sad it is a good game, I've played it out and enjoyed it , but other than the lolita girl with sexy voice and nice rat effect it is nothing special

btw is there someone who is called GOG.COM?:O

oh and about stealth game vs walking sim , this is more walking sim , mostly linear maps too
Post edited July 15, 2021 by Orkhepaj
Dogmaus: And wasn't innocence a day one release here?
Mr.Mumbles: I don't think it came here until the Fall of the same year when Focus started releasing their games again here in earnest. Can't find the actual release thread via Google right now.
true that! buut it wasn't a huge delay, so I'd reccomend people here to hold their horses and wait for a gog release!
Trooper1270: I found it here.

Edit: I found it using the forum search. :P
what a cool thread it was! There's even Marko telling that in the demo there was a bear instead of a boar! I want to see that XD
It makes more sense that the father would teach Amicia hunting by aiming at a boar, letting a 14 year old attack a bear seems a little bit unconsidered from an affectionate parent like him!
As for the violence on animals, if you are in the role of a noble in the 14th century, of course you'd go hunting! It's in the character.
Post edited July 15, 2021 by Dogmaus
high rated
This is a perfect example of people throwing the term "walking simulator" at games that thoroughly aren't walking simulators, to the point that the term now means absolutely nothing. "Walking simulators" are games that have tons of combat, where you have to kill scores of enemies, there are lots of environmental puzzles, there's lots of stealth, and there's a crafting/upgrade system? That's absurd nonsense. What exactly does it mean, then? A game where walking is simulated, regardless of anything else that happens in the game? By that logic, Apex Legends is a walking simulator. Yeah, that term officially means exactly nothing anymore. SMH
Post edited July 15, 2021 by finkleroy
finkleroy: This is a perfect example of people throwing the term "walking simulator" at games that thoroughly aren't walking simulators, to the point that the term now means absolutely nothing. "Walking simulators" are games that have tons of combat, where you have to kill scores of enemies, there are lots of environmental puzzles, there's lots of stealth, and there's a crafting/upgrade system? That's absurd nonsense. What exactly does it mean, then? A game where walking is simulated, regardless of anything else that happens in the game? By that logic, Apex Legends is a walking simulator. Yeah, that term officially means exactly nothing anymore. SMH
it's just being used willingly in a derogatory way. Because "true gamers" don't play that girlie stuff ya know.
Also, there's points in the game that can be solved in different ways. I've played the game twice and I've approached things differently here and there, or tried more than once a section and the course of the fights changed in various manners. And there are more stream-lined zones. But you can't just "walk" them through. Cause it's an action/stealth game...
Masterpiece, lmao.

This game has no consideration for kb/m whatsoever, panning, moving, and the feel of everything is probably the worst in any game I've ever played.

The final 'boss' I think, for the first stage, is some massive warrior guy in full plate armor. You defeat him by running back and forth and picking up little pebbles and throwing them at him. How could I take anything seriously after that.
low rated
finkleroy: This is a perfect example of people throwing the term "walking simulator" at games that thoroughly aren't walking simulators, to the point that the term now means absolutely nothing. "Walking simulators" are games that have tons of combat, where you have to kill scores of enemies, there are lots of environmental puzzles, there's lots of stealth, and there's a crafting/upgrade system? That's absurd nonsense. What exactly does it mean, then? A game where walking is simulated, regardless of anything else that happens in the game? By that logic, Apex Legends is a walking simulator. Yeah, that term officially means exactly nothing anymore. SMH
Nope. Not at all. I called it a walking simulator as you do very little other than to go from point a where you start to point b where the next event happens. There is no combat, there is no real puzzle solving. There is the occasional thing to be thrown. It means a game where you don’t really do much other than go from point a to point b (don’t know if that frees with everyone else definition). There is no combat, there is no RPG mechanics, there is very little stealth (no using skills/items to douse flames, or change floors), there is very little puzzle solving, no inventory puzzles, there is no unit management, strategy planning, base building, nothing which would put it into another genre. Apologies if there is a better term for it, but it simply has very little depth.
Dogmaus: it's just being used willingly in a derogatory way. Because "true gamers" don't play that girlie stuff ya know.
Also, there's points in the game that can be solved in different ways. I've played the game twice and I've approached things differently here and there, or tried more than once a section and the course of the fights changed in various manners. And there are more stream-lined zones. But you can't just "walk" them through. Cause it's an action/stealth game...
Nope, it’s not being used in a derogatory term at all, it’s simply a description of the game loop. You are aware that games are a simple loop, and are thus defined by the systems they expose. A first person shooter, has the attributes of being from a first person and having the ability to shoot things. This is a walking sim as I describe above. Sure there are exceptions to the rule, doom eternal has a bit where you wander around a space ship with nothing to shoot, does this make it a 4x space strategy game, no.
Post edited July 16, 2021 by nightcraw1er.488
high rated
nightcraw1er.488: *snip*
Everything you just stated is 100% false. There is a lot of combat. A lot of killing. A lot of dying. A lot of puzzle solving. A lot of stealth. A lot of crafting. A good deal of upgrading. You've previously stated that you've only played the very beginning of the game, and it shows. If you'd bothered to actually play the game, you might actually know what you're talking about, but you chose not to play it, so instead you're spouting factually incorrect nonsense.
Post edited July 16, 2021 by finkleroy
nightcraw1er.488: Nope. Not at all. I called it a walking simulator as you do very little other than to go from point a where you start to point b where the next event happens.
you haven't played it LOL
Swissy88: Masterpiece, lmao.

This game has no consideration for kb/m whatsoever, panning, moving, and the feel of everything is probably the worst in any game I've ever played.

The final 'boss' I think, for the first stage, is some massive warrior guy in full plate armor. You defeat him by running back and forth and picking up little pebbles and throwing them at him. How could I take anything seriously after that.
It was a farmer with some hand made "armour" that gets slowly destroyed with a SLING, which requires timing provocking his big hammer attacks to avoid them and firing when he is vulnerable. And...it's a game?
I consider that part of the game quasi tutorial. You haven't played it...
My flatmate played it kb and m in front of me and finished it and loved it...so...
Post edited July 16, 2021 by Dogmaus
nightcraw1er.488: You are aware that games are a simple loop
I know the hoola hoop, but I would call that a toy LOL
AP'sT:I provides a lot of variety and it is not "a simple loop". You can't just stop clutching at straws and admit you haven't played it.
high rated
I feel like some of the comments are from people that have played a completely different game than me. Plague Tale plays very well with KB and mouse. I just finished playing it for my second time. I am going to agree with Finkleroy and Dogamus here. PT, while a little light on some elements, if you compare it to games like System Shock and Thief, has a fair amount of combat, stealth, and puzzle solving/ simple mazes. On top of that it has an entertaining story. But it is far from a straight up "narrative game" with no game play beyond the exposition. However, It is primarily a game with a focus on delivering a story with a mixture of light and mid complex game play elements. Overall, a fun game I thoroughly enjoyed. I am looking forward to the sequel.
Post edited July 16, 2021 by greyhat