It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Now that spring is upon us, there is plenty of spring cleaning to take care of and as more people around the globe practice social distancing, it is the perfect time to stay home and catch up on some new games or other classics you may have missed out on.

As our Spring Sale is underway, offering over 2,500 deals, there is plenty to celebrate now, like the return of the Darklands and Slave Zero to our catalog, under a new digital publisher. We also thought it would be the perfect time to introduce you to a handful of other classic games that are now available on GOG.COM thanks to Ziggurat Interactive. You can check them out below!

NAM
In NAM, you play as Alan 'The Bear' Westmoreland, a Marine Corps sergeant. Your mission is simple - survive through 34 single and multiplayer levels. There’s even 8-person PVP if you are looking to frag out with friends.

If first-person, militaristic style games are your style and you are a fan of classic titles like DOOM II and Duke Nukem 3D, this is one that is definitely worth checking out.

Elite Warriors Vietnam
Here’s another militaristic shooter that takes place in Vietnam, but instead of first-person, Elite Warriors Vietnam is a third-person shooter released in 2005.

Your mission is to infiltrate Laos and help out any way you can. Explore lush environments and handle squad management tasks as you train and put together the best teams for the jobs ahead - including rescuing pilots, capturing soldiers, and more.

Line of Sight Vietnam
Starting to notice a bit of a theme here? Also taking place in Vietnam during the war, Line of Sight Vietnam is a shooter that lets you play in both first-person and third-person, so regardless of your preference, you’re good to go.

Covering 12 single-player missions, you play as Pvt. Chris Egan, a US Army sniper. You’re tasked with removing a variety of enemies, sometimes alone, sometimes with an NPC squadmate that you can give orders to. In addition to giving orders, you can also play from their perspective during the missions to add even more ways to play.

Deadly Dozen
The first non-Vietnam game on our list, Deadly Dozen is a first-person shooter that takes place during World War II. You control a squad of 12, as you tear your way through German-occupied territories and other landmark locations from WW II.

If you like hand-crafting teams for a variety of missions, Deadly Dozens is the perfect title for that. With each mission, you’ll get a briefing, and from there decide which members of your squad are best suited for the mission at hand.

Also, if Deadly Dozen, Line of Sight Vietnam, and Elite Warriors Vietnam seem like something you are interested in, you can snag all three with a special series discount.

Fields of Glory
Fields of Glory is a bit different than the other titles on this list, but if you love realistic military strategy games, this is one worth checking out.

Unlike the other shooters on the list, Fields of Glory is a pure real-time strategy game. It highlights four of the historical battles of Napoleon's Waterloo campaign, as well as two additional battles. This game prides itself on its accuracy, so if you are a history buff, this is definitely one worth looking at.

Well, there you have it. Five new titles that are available on GOG.COM from Ziggurat Interactive. If you are looking for something militaristic, any of these titles are great choices to dive into.

And don’t forget to do some of that spring cleaning between matches!

What do you think? Interested in any of these games? Let us know in the comments below!
Post edited March 20, 2020 by emter_pl
kai2: -- But after the Vietnam Conflict --

Vietnam kept forces in Cambodia.

China demanded they leave Cambodia. The Vietnamese forces did not... and that precipitated the Sino-Vietnamese War. The Chinese installed the Khmer Rouge, but Vietnam's consistent attacks -- and continually worry that the Soviet Union (who had become antagonistic toward China since the Sino-Soviet Split, a difference in Communist doctrine starting in the mid 50's) )would aid Vietnam -- made it impossible for China to keep their interests in Cambodia.
fronzelneekburm: That's a pretty gross distortion of historical facts because a) it paints the Vietnamese as the aggressors, which they werent and b) it omits the fact that the Khmer Rouge that ruled over Cambodia had just slaughtered ONE QUARTER of their own population to implement Pol Pot's stone-age vision of communism.

The Khmer Rouge eventually got bored of butchering their own people, so some of them would conduct raids and massacres in Vietnamese border towns. The increasingly paranoid Pol Pot was afraid that Vietnam, after defeating America, would gain power and install a Vietnam-controlled puppet regime. Vietnam retaliated and went to war with Cambodia. China, to its eternal shame, fraternised with the murderous lunatics under Pol Pot (Mao once famously said that for every step China takes, Cambodia takes two) and declared war on Vietnam. After a month or so of skirmishes, and despite having just been at the receiving end of a 10-year American war of aggression, the Vietnamese were victorious (well, both sides retreated and claimed victory for themselves).

In any case, Vietnam continued its fight against the Khmer Rouge, won the fight, toppled Pol Pot and installed the Vietnamese puppet regime Pol Pot (now in hiding) was so afraid of, and in so doing the VC put an end to a literal GENOCIDE that Pol Pot and his merry band of butchers had perpetuated on its own people.
I simplified describing the situation because it wasn't particularly relevant to your question -- which I will paste again below --

fronzelneekburm: Yah, sure. Then explain why China declared war on Vietnam in the late 70s, after the Americans had pulled out.
The Chinese funded almost 100% of the Khmer Rouge -- a vicious regime that did not trust Vietnam. When territorial disputes sprang from the end of the Vietnam War, China sided with the Khmer Rouge against the Vietnamese.

So -- answering your question -- That is why China declared war on Vietnam in the late 70's.

ATM I'm not certain what you are arguing TBH. The games GOG has brought to the table are perfectly valid to play and enjoy... just as is 7554... but calling people war criminals seems a bit over-the-line IMHO.

I also find it curious that you are rebutting my post when -- for the most part -- I am agreeing with you... but no matter.

deja65: Guys, could we please keep politics out of release threads or any for that matter? Thank you. Cheers
I agree, but when some here call soldiers in a game "war criminals," thy are obviously instigating and pushing political agendas. IMHO it seems a calm rebuttal -- sans accusations or ideology -- would be acceptable.

If you've read what I've written I think you will find that it's not political at all. I've certainly tried to keep it a statement of fact and keep out any political ideologies. Also, I think it's good context for playing Elite Warriors Vietnam and Line of Sight Vietnam.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by kai2
Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, I've walked through the thread and done some modding.

This is your friendly reminder to refrain from political discussion unless it directly relates to a game. Even then, please be careful.

For this thread, I request that the history lessons end.
low rated
kai2: ATM I'm not certain what you are arguing TBH.
They ask me for my opinion, I said I don't appreciate games that glorify war crimes. Simple as that. Plus, NAM is an absolute piece of shit and easily the worst game ever made on the Build engine (except maybe for that paintball game).

Uhh, we got Slave Zero back, which is nice I guess...

[*Post moded by PainOfSalvation: Please refrain from disputing forum moderation and commenting politics.]
Post edited March 23, 2020 by PainOfSalvation
fronzelneekburm: Uhh, we got Slave Zero back, which is nice I guess...
And Darklands.
Glorious, terribly underrated (and desperately needing a sequel/remake) Darklands ;)
These games are great additions to the catalog. Thank you GOG for bringing them here.
fronzelneekburm: Uhh, we got Slave Zero back, which is nice I guess...
karnak1: And Darklands.
Glorious, terribly underrated (and desperately needing a sequel/remake) Darklands ;)
In the name of the alien Gods, yes please!

But Darklands devs will most likely get excommunicated and burned at the stake, for making a new Darklands game. Witch is why no dev is willing to make a sequel, I think. :(
I'm glad Darklands and Slave Zero are back. So the game cards are accessible again and not hidden anymore, even for game owners. I'll have a look at the other games later.
I played NAM on steam, it's a lot like FarCry with how on target the enemies are. Really hate the invisible mines though. I'd be walking through and get to a village and BOOM you're dead, after about 5 deaths I thought I was getting hit by a soldier with an RPG had to google it to find out the mines are super hidden. It's fun if you are a die hard FPS fan but it's not easy.
Takashi2222: I played NAM on steam, it's a lot like FarCry with how on target the enemies are. Really hate the invisible mines though. I'd be walking through and get to a village and BOOM you're dead, after about 5 deaths I thought I was getting hit by a soldier with an RPG had to google it to find out the mines are super hidden. It's fun if you are a die hard FPS fan but it's not easy.
The mines are hard to see, but if you move slowly up to a mine until you hear a 'click', you can still attempt to disarm it by pressing the space bar. It doesn't work for chemical mines or proximity mines, however, and there's a small chance the mine can still go off. I was also annoyed by the boxes that can be randomly booby trapped.
Takashi2222: I'd be walking through and get to a village and BOOM you're dead
I had to google it to find out the mines are super hidden.
SCPM: The mines are hard to see, but if you move slowly up to a mine until you hear a 'click', you can still attempt to disarm it.
There's a small chance the mine can still go off.
I was also annoyed by the boxes that can be randomly booby trapped.
So, exactly like in the real war... ;)
Why has the Linux support for NAM been removed?

According to the game card it's a DOS(box) game...
Post edited March 27, 2020 by eiii