It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

"China" returned 2 posts
Clear search criteria
I do not want to delve into the political here, so have tried to stay to the historical facts as we know them...

MartiusR: Communist China and Soviet Union were constantly supporting Communists in Vietnam
fronzelneekburm: Yah, sure. Then explain why China declared war on Vietnam in the late 70s, after the Americans had pulled out.
During the period of the Vietnam Conflict, North Vietnam's major backer was the Soviet Union, but not far behind them was China. Both countries had active support roles aiding North Vietnam (in fact China was instrumental in the French Indochina War that precipitated the Vietnam Conflict providing Vietnamese insurgents with weaponry, food, and training. Throughout the late 50's to the early 70's China actively sent military, social, and political advisors to the Communist Vietnamese (at one point China had sent over 300,000 People's Liberation Army troops to aid North Vietnam).

-- But after the Vietnam Conflict --

Vietnam kept forces in Cambodia.

China demanded they leave Cambodia. The Vietnamese forces did not... and that precipitated the Sino-Vietnamese War. The Chinese installed the Khmer Rouge, but Vietnam's consistent attacks -- and continually worry that the Soviet Union (who had become antagonistic toward China since the Sino-Soviet Split, a difference in Communist doctrine starting in the mid 50's) )would aid Vietnam -- made it impossible for China to keep their interests in Cambodia.

Many have a tendency to think of communist countries as monolithic... all experiencing "group think"... but like any other system, their are dissenters, differences of opinion, and even breakdowns in relations... and wars.

MartiusR: plus the fact that it was North Vietnam who started agression on the South.
fronzelneekburm: Yah, sure. Actually, the North fought for national sovereignty, whereas the South was nothing but a bitch state to Western powers.
What eventually became the Vietnam Conflict / War was actually started in teh fading days of WWII by a revolution against the French colonization of Vietnam.

Ho Chi Minh -- although a communist -- fought alongside the OSS in ousting the Japanese from the region during WWII. The OSS decided to work with Ho Chi Minh because he was seen as more nationalist than communist and sympathetic toward the US. In fact Ho Chi Minh would on more than one occasion ask for the US's aid because he saw the US as a kindred revolutionary spirit (he would refernce more-then-once the American Revolutionary War / War of Independence). It was only after the US refused to aid him in ousting the French that Ho Chi Minh sided more closely with the communists.

MartiusR: Vietnam war communists in North Vietnam killed during so called "land reform" about 172 thousands people.
fronzelneekburm: As opposed to the 1-4 million (depending on your sauce) dead Vietnamese - mostly civilians - the American "liberators" had killed.
I think we can all agree that the Vietnam Conflict / War had a terrible cost for all involved... and if you look close enough at any war you can find many villians on every / any side.

I'm reminded of a documentary where a US soldier and a North Vietnamese soldier met in the early 2000's. They had been in the same battles, lost many friends, and embraced as "brothers"... and cried.

This is the reality of war.

As we play games about real people in real conflicts, it's great to have fun, but spend a moment to think about the real conflicts... and maybe read a little on them. Often they are more complex than commonly portrayed.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by kai2
kai2: -- But after the Vietnam Conflict --

Vietnam kept forces in Cambodia.

China demanded they leave Cambodia. The Vietnamese forces did not... and that precipitated the Sino-Vietnamese War. The Chinese installed the Khmer Rouge, but Vietnam's consistent attacks -- and continually worry that the Soviet Union (who had become antagonistic toward China since the Sino-Soviet Split, a difference in Communist doctrine starting in the mid 50's) )would aid Vietnam -- made it impossible for China to keep their interests in Cambodia.
fronzelneekburm: That's a pretty gross distortion of historical facts because a) it paints the Vietnamese as the aggressors, which they werent and b) it omits the fact that the Khmer Rouge that ruled over Cambodia had just slaughtered ONE QUARTER of their own population to implement Pol Pot's stone-age vision of communism.

The Khmer Rouge eventually got bored of butchering their own people, so some of them would conduct raids and massacres in Vietnamese border towns. The increasingly paranoid Pol Pot was afraid that Vietnam, after defeating America, would gain power and install a Vietnam-controlled puppet regime. Vietnam retaliated and went to war with Cambodia. China, to its eternal shame, fraternised with the murderous lunatics under Pol Pot (Mao once famously said that for every step China takes, Cambodia takes two) and declared war on Vietnam. After a month or so of skirmishes, and despite having just been at the receiving end of a 10-year American war of aggression, the Vietnamese were victorious (well, both sides retreated and claimed victory for themselves).

In any case, Vietnam continued its fight against the Khmer Rouge, won the fight, toppled Pol Pot and installed the Vietnamese puppet regime Pol Pot (now in hiding) was so afraid of, and in so doing the VC put an end to a literal GENOCIDE that Pol Pot and his merry band of butchers had perpetuated on its own people.
I simplified describing the situation because it wasn't particularly relevant to your question -- which I will paste again below --

fronzelneekburm: Yah, sure. Then explain why China declared war on Vietnam in the late 70s, after the Americans had pulled out.
The Chinese funded almost 100% of the Khmer Rouge -- a vicious regime that did not trust Vietnam. When territorial disputes sprang from the end of the Vietnam War, China sided with the Khmer Rouge against the Vietnamese.

So -- answering your question -- That is why China declared war on Vietnam in the late 70's.

ATM I'm not certain what you are arguing TBH. The games GOG has brought to the table are perfectly valid to play and enjoy... just as is 7554... but calling people war criminals seems a bit over-the-line IMHO.

I also find it curious that you are rebutting my post when -- for the most part -- I am agreeing with you... but no matter.

deja65: Guys, could we please keep politics out of release threads or any for that matter? Thank you. Cheers
I agree, but when some here call soldiers in a game "war criminals," thy are obviously instigating and pushing political agendas. IMHO it seems a calm rebuttal -- sans accusations or ideology -- would be acceptable.

If you've read what I've written I think you will find that it's not political at all. I've certainly tried to keep it a statement of fact and keep out any political ideologies. Also, I think it's good context for playing Elite Warriors Vietnam and Line of Sight Vietnam.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by kai2