It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I don't spend enough time here to sift through the crap search function (which is just as crap as it was years ago) in order to find a solution to my issue, so as per usual, I turn to the community I used to engage with regularly.

Some (unspecified amount) of time ago, the front page of the web store seemed rather lacking. News was gone, other functionality was gone, and this was before I had even viewed other parts of the site where functionality has deteriorated.

My simple question is: why does the GOG store appear as a blank mess to me on Firefox, my preferred browser? Loads fine in Chrome (blerk). Whatever happened to accessible web design as opposed to this new-fangled Windows 8/Xbox showy shit that is all the rage?

*hobbles away gnashing gums and leaning on walking stick, shaking fist at the younger generation*

Edit: I was so busy gnashing my gums in fury that I forgot to attach a screenshot.
Attachments:
gogstore.jpg (207 Kb)
Post edited December 18, 2018 by Tarnicus
This question / problem has been solved by real.geizterfahrimage
neat-o
Post edited December 18, 2018 by fortune_p_dawg
Lots of things have changed in the store recently, that's true. Nevertheless, I use Firefox too, it's my favorite browser as well and I have no problems browsing through the store pages. Have you updated your browser recently? Maybe your version is outdated and the problem lies there.

[edit: description]
Post edited December 18, 2018 by Panaias
low rated

Post edited December 19, 2018 by Fairfox
At least you're willing to admit you're too lazy to search for this or you'd see the million other threads about this exact question.
May I ask what version of Firefox you are using? The pages load normally for me on Firefox 64.
low rated
what do the scouts say about his power level!
IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND !!! :V
what?! 9000?!
NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND !!! D=
low rated
Update your browser!

(Though from the looks of things, it may not be too hopeful, considering your window cluster is in that mode that kicks in when in low performance mode.)
high rated
Tarnicus: My simple question is: why does the GOG store appear as a blank mess to me on Firefox, my preferred browser?
Which version of Firefox do you use? A pre-Quantum one, because you want to keep some plug ins or don't like the DRM that came with it? Then that's why GOG doesn't work for you.

GOG decided to design the new layout for their Galaxy client (Chromium) and made use of some very recent technologies. Works great in Galaxy, but you're f*cked if your browser isn't a) Chrome or b) a very recent version of Firefox. Forget about IE, Edge or pre-Quantum Firefoxes (browsers that some people use because they come with their OS or because their favorite plug-ins aren't compatible with Quantum).

I don't want to start a discussion about browsing the web with outdated software. "Normal" users shouldn't do this. But GOG should've put some time into some very simple fallback solutions. Can't be too hard to render some images on an outdated browser...
PR statement:

Site not working on old browser versions
As much as we’d like to, it’s impossible for us to keep support for all old versions of popular browsers. There is a reason why browsers are being updated by their creators (mainly being security reasons), and our main goal is to keep the site up to date with the latest versions.
And when it comes to IE support, due to the amount of work needed to support the website under IE combined with a very low margin of users, we decided to drop IE11 support entirely.
Not like it works on up-to-date forks of Firefox (like Palemoon), but yeah, as real.geizterfahr says, they basically want you to use Chrome (works on some ancient, unsecure versions as well) and for the rest, it's only the latest versions of popular browsers (minus IE). We also had a lot of threads about this issue this sale again as it obviously affects a lot of users.
Post edited December 18, 2018 by Lucumo
Tarnicus: ...
The more important question: why does your screenshot still feature the old GOG logo/colours? o.O
Attachments:
gog.jpg (23 Kb)
Tarnicus: My simple question is: why does the GOG store appear as a blank mess to me on Firefox, my preferred browser?
real.geizterfahr: Which version of Firefox do you use? A pre-Quantum one, because you want to keep some plug ins or don't like the DRM that came with it? Then that's why GOG doesn't work for you.

GOG decided to design the new layout for their Galaxy client (Chromium) and made use of some very recent technologies. Works great in Galaxy, but you're f*cked if your browser isn't a) Chrome or b) a very recent version of Firefox. Forget about IE, Edge or pre-Quantum Firefoxes (browsers that some people use because they come with their OS or because their favorite plug-ins aren't compatible with Quantum).

I don't want to start a discussion about browsing the web with outdated software. "Normal" users shouldn't do this. But GOG should've put some time into some very simple fallback solutions. Can't be too hard to render some images on an outdated browser...
Thank you very much for your detailed reply, as it answered my issues 100%, even some of those I didn't explicitly state:

1/ Yes I use pre-Quantum FF, as I have issues with post-FF57+(?) aka Quantum. Thank you for the understanding of why it doesn't work for me.

2/ I refuse to use Galaxy(and by that I mean make it 'the way' to use GOG) given the shitty history I had attempting to use it during the first year or so of release. It was a buggy POS. Is it out of alpha yet? I did update it a couple of months ago and found it very unintuitive and archaic when it came to chat functions

3/ Chrome/IE/Edge/ blerk.

Can anyone suggest a non-instrusive/non-collecting of personal data(besides what one authorises)/non-DRM shit to make use of this site with?

Tarnicus: ...
BreOl72: The more important question: why does your screenshot still feature the old GOG logo/colours? o.O
Maybe due to Barefoot Essentials?
Lucumo: PR statement:

Site not working on old browser versions
As much as we’d like to, it’s impossible for us to keep support for all old versions of popular browsers. There is a reason why browsers are being updated by their creators (mainly being security reasons), and our main goal is to keep the site up to date with the latest versions.
And when it comes to IE support, due to the amount of work needed to support the website under IE combined with a very low margin of users, we decided to drop IE11 support entirely.
Lucumo: Not like it works on up-to-date forks of Firefox (like Palemoon), but yeah, as real.geizterfahr says, they basically want you to use Chrome (works on some ancient, unsecure versions as well) and for the rest, it's only the latest versions of popular browsers (minus IE). We also had a lot of threads about this issue this sale again as it obviously affects a lot of users.
Thanks for your reply. I used to use Palemoon, and I gather from what you said that isn't an option? If I don't wish to use Chrome (I will but not when I input or allow access to any personal data), refuse to use IE/Edge, and the same goes for FF Quantum, then to buy from this store I am left with Galaxy or pissing in a pond?
Darvond: Update your browser!

(Though from the looks of things, it may not be too hopeful, considering your window cluster is in that mode that kicks in when in low performance mode.)
No my "window cluster is not in that mode that kicks in with low performance mode". It's called the version of FF that I prefer to use.
Post edited December 18, 2018 by Tarnicus
Tarnicus: Thanks for your reply. I used to use Palemoon, and I gather from what you said that isn't an option? If I don't wish to use Chrome (I will but not when I input or allow access to any personal data), refuse to use IE/Edge, and the same goes for FF Quantum, then to buy from this store I am left with Galaxy or pissing in a pond?
Nope, currently not working properly. I read some days ago that Waterfox apparently does work now (or at least someone mentioned it) which wasn't the case after the redesign in October. Never tried it myself but at least the things listed under "overview" look good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterfox
Tarnicus: Maybe due to Barefoot Essentials?
Ah, may be...I don't use that, so I wouldn't know.
low rated
tired of everyone complaining about the site. maybe YOU'RE the problem.
Post edited December 18, 2018 by swsoboleski89