It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Becoming a slightly different beast.

<span class="bold">Armello</span>, the digital tabletop/role-playing/strategy game, has now been updated and renamed to Armello - DRM Free Edition. It includes the latest fixes and updates, plus all these lovely animals who will eagerly stab each other with pointy things in order to become rulers of the land. Oh, and it's 25% off for six days!

This edition is a complete strategic experience and will keep receiving updates that are unrelated to DLCs or online features.

Here's what League of Geeks have to say about it (full version <span class="bold">here</span>):

"We want to ensure that whatever platforms Armello is on, we're providing the best experience that we possibly can. As Armello moves more and more into online services (like Steam inventory and more multiplayer features) and as we begin to roll out our plans for DLC, we've been working closely with GOG on an edition of Armello specific to GOG. [..]
We've had fantastic meetings with GOG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM-Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM-Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience. [...]."

Get ready to join this new era of colorful animosity with <span class="bold">Armello DRM-Free Edition</span>, exclusively on GOG.com.
The 25% discount will last until September 5, 9:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/o4e5s28x7Ps
Post edited August 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
high rated
Once again, here is the wishlist entry for removal of Armello.

Remove Armello drm free edition from the catalog please
high rated
Gilozard: Sometimes there are hard technical limitations that are inexplicable, and sometimes design decisions taken years ago really do bite you when you least expect it. This is very true and could be happening here.

But adding DLC or expansions is a solved problem. There is decades of solutions, for all kinds of technologies, with or without internet. Did they write a custom engine and then the programmer leave the company? That's the major thing I can think of.
If you read the entire text of the "closing the thread" post that Vainamoinen excerpted, it's abundantly clear that it's not actually a technical issue that's preventing them from offering the DLC here. They don't want to offer it here because it's contrary to their business model. That's what all the deflections about the "direction of the gaming industry" are about. Why they're so opposed to this (seemingly simple) issue is up for speculation, but I have a few theories of varying levels of cynicism.
high rated
Cypisss: Hey everyone, a short announcement:

Due to changes to the GOG.com version of Armello and the fact that some online functionalities and future content for the game will not be available on GOG.com, we want to make sure all prior owners have a choice. If you feel that the current version of Armello is not something you wished for back when you bought the game - please contact our support team for a refund.
I (thankfully) do not own the game, but thank you, GOG, for the gesture!

I hope that it won't cost you anything, though. You should not have to pay for the wrongdoings of others.
Hi, @Tyrrhia !

I have a question about your message: It isn´t the guilty part for generate the problem about misunderstanding for the ommision , etc, the responsible of pay? I mean, the GOG customers that don´t want support LoG and want the money... , that money is of GOG?

I don´t understand then how work the politics of refund in case of the devs. are implicates in the problem, because .. they must retibution for the repercusion , no?

They don´t fix that, they with pretty fun in the PAX, GOG here with all the garbage they made crazy, and now GOG hmmm. it is reembolse?/ loose resources (hmm english is not my best virtue, sorry).

Well, we should wait to tomorrow, GOG can help us to understand what implies.

See you Tyrrhia!
Post edited September 05, 2016 by Hierosclito
high rated
I never expected to create a wishlist entry. I never expected that wishlist entry to be about removing a game from the catalog. I never expected it to pass 200 votes. I never expected that happen so soon. But here we are: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/remove_armello_drm_free_edition_from_the_catalog_please
high rated

Due to changes to the GOG.com version of Armello and the fact that some online functionalities and future content for the game will not be available on GOG.com, we want to make sure all prior owners have a choice. If you feel that the current version of Armello is not something you wished for back when you bought the game - please contact our support team for a refund.
Probably won't get a reply to this, but does LoG keep their cut when you refund someone?

bevinator: [...] I have a few theories of varying levels of cynicism.
Sounds entertaining, please share.

EDIT: reworded to make better sense
Post edited September 05, 2016 by HypersomniacLive
HypersomniacLive: Probably won't get a reply to this, but does LoG keep their cut when you refund someone?
That seems extremely unlikely given that LoG themselves have recommended to request refunds on GOG and said they'll honour them, they said this a day or two ago already. What GOG is saying here just seems to be the local announcement of that decision.
Post edited September 05, 2016 by Pheace

Glad to hear you will refund, won't do myself as the game was brought on sale, frankly had my play value out of it.
Not sure what cost you may incur for all this, frankly it doesn't sit well.
Cheers tho.
Hierosclito: Hi, @Tyrrhia !

I have a question about your message: It isn´t the guilty part for generate the problem about misunderstanding for the ommision , etc, the responsible of pay? I mean, the GOG customers that don´t want support LoG and want the money... , that money is of GOG?

I don´t understand then how work the politics of refund in case of the devs. are implicates in the problem, because .. they must retibution for the repercusion , no?

They don´t fix that, they with pretty fun in the PAX, GOG here with all the garbage they made crazy, and now GOG hmmm. it is reembolse?/ loose resources (hmm english is not my best virtue, sorry).

Well, we should wait to tomorrow, GOG can help us to understand what implies.

See you Tyrrhia!
Hello!

I don't really know how it ultimately works for game stores; but I do know that, for game developers, a refund incurs an extra cost compared to no sale at all (see the second paragraph of this thread for a short explanation).

But yeah, we'll see tomorrow, even though I don't think they'll tell us who pays what. :P
high rated
https://steamcommunity.com/app/290340/discussions/0/350540973992434334/?ctp=8#c350540974002885722

"Just because another studio or game has DLC on DRM Free, doesn't mean it's immediately a possibility for us or Armello. Assuming as much is incredibly naive. Every team's processes, resources, and games are innumerably different."

Oh, I'm sorry for thinking that your company of 30+ employees could manage the same level of talent or competence as any of those other, smaller companies. You're right, LoG, it was naive of me to assume that your company could provide quality and services that are up to today's indie company standards, wasn't it? My apologies. Don't worry, though; I assure you, few people here will make the same mistake of believing in your company again in the future.

He sure showed us, didn't he?

"Now, of course it's theoretically possible to have DLC on DRM Free, I mean, there's a robot taking selfies on Mars right now. So sure, given infinite resources and time we could undertake the task of rewriting the underlying architecture at the core of this decision, but that's straight up not feasible for a vast number of reasons that are unique to LoG, Armello, where we're standing right now and where we see Armello's future. "

You are adding characters and rings to the game. That is the entirety of the DLC pack, for $10. If that's a task akin to getting a robot to Mars to you, and it's a reason "unique to LoG", then maybe the real problem is that your company needs to get it together?

Locking the thread so that he can stifle criticism...bah. Why not do something to fix the problem instead of silencing people? Sure, the problem will go away on its own if you leave it and ignore it for long-enough...and so do all of the potential customers that you ignored who eventually struck the game off their wishlist, blacklisted your company, and stopped caring about your game enough to want to talk about it. That's how the discussion really ends.

Guess I'll end this the same way he did.

https://youtu.be/XbXVQrYslOk?t=6s

Keep it productive. (Unlike the LoG team.)

<3 Irenicus73

P.S. Thank you for the link and the update, @Hierosclito
Post edited September 05, 2016 by Irenicus73
high rated
Tyrrhia: Hello!

I don't really know how it ultimately works for game stores; but I do know that, for game developers, a refund incurs an extra cost compared to no sale at all (see the second paragraph of this thread for a short explanation).

But yeah, we'll see tomorrow, even though I don't think they'll tell us who pays what. :P
It's the same, credit card fees and such for refunds are being charged to the store, probably one of the reasons, GOG prefers to give you store credit instead. No idea if that cost is split between GOG and devs/pubs.
@Tyrrhia: Hey, thanks for that info in the link! And you are right, surely many questions dissapear without answer, I mean, leave some mistery then hehe :)

See you!

@Irenicus73:

Hahahahaha, I almost die with laugh with your message xDDD
And the video with the signature xD

"Keep it productive. (Unlike the LoG team.)

<3 Irenicus73 "

:`)

Btw, you´re welcome!
I´m glad of be useful to comrades of forum!

Good night
HypersomniacLive: It's the same, credit card fees and such for refunds are being charged to the store, probably one of the reasons, GOG prefers to give you store credit instead. No idea if that cost is split between GOG and devs/pubs.
So GOG prefers to keep the real money to give store credit instead (by the way, it's now called "Wallet funds" :P) in order to avoid paying credit card fees? Is that right?

If so, this is really, really confusing me: If a user buys a $10-game and then refunds it, GOG will give them $10 worth of Wallet funds but keep the original $10 (not accounting for all the publisher and / or developer interaction to make it simpler). That means that the Wallet and GOG's bank accounts are one and the same (i.e. nothing happens when someone buys a game with just Wallet funds since the money was already transferred to GOG the moment the Wallet funds were purchased), and also means that Wallet funds are just a virtual variable with no real-world value. Am I understanding this correctly? Or am I just putting way too much thought into it?

(I love the Wallet, but it's way too complex for my simple financial mind. :P)
high rated
HypersomniacLive: It's the same, credit card fees and such for refunds are being charged to the store, probably one of the reasons, GOG prefers to give you store credit instead. No idea if that cost is split between GOG and devs/pubs.
Not just probably one. It is THE one! Charge back fees can amount to anywhere between $15-100... for one transaction.

Tyrrhia: So GOG prefers to keep the real money to give store credit instead (by the way, it's now called "Wallet funds" :P) in order to avoid paying credit card fees? Is that right?
Basically, if any store gets enough charge back fees due to fraudulent behavior they will earn negative money, especially for something that costs $10 or under.
Post edited September 06, 2016 by mistermumbles
high rated
A transcription of one of the "fantastic meetings" LOG said they had with GOG:

LOG developer 1: Hi pal, I have bad news for you
LOG developer 2: Yes, bad news
GOG staff: eh?
LOG developer 1: Yes, as you know, we are good and experienced developers...
LOG developer 2: Yes, experienced developers...
LOG developer 1: ... so we have decided to kick the ass of our GOG customers, and start earning money selling shit through micro-transactions...
LOG developer 2: Yes, earn money...
LOG developer 1: We, as experienced developers...
LOG developer 1: ... have decided to start selling cheap dice skins through android in-game-transactions and steam boxes-and-keys-of-gambling-stupidity. Players will start eating our shit like pigs in a farm...
LOG developer 2: Yes, pigs in a farm... Hey, wait, do we have farm pigs in the game? WHAT AN IDEA, LET'S IMPLEMENT THEM
LOG developer 1: Mmmm, sounds good, take this paper napkin and start doing sketches
LOG developer 2: Yes, sketches, we are good developers, we are experienced developers...
GOG staff: Excuse me...
LOG developer 1: As i was saying, we know other developers have released DLCs in your store, but our DLCs peculiarities don't allow us, experienced developers, to make them available in GOG...
GOG staff: But wait, in your studio's web there is only one game announced (Armello), so you probably aren't experienced developers at all...
LOG developer 1: Well, we are in fact experienced developers. Hey you, what's your last coding work?
LOG developer 2: Yesterday I managed to code an algorithm in C that shows the first 100 numbers of the Fibonacci Sequence!
GOG staff: (sic)
LOG developer 1: You see? We are good and experienced developers!
LOG developer 1: And regarding the DLC issues, we, even though being experienced developers...
LOG developer 2: Yes, experienced developers, the fucking masters of the universe of developers...
LOG developer 1: ... don't have infinite resources. Man, you know, creating four new beasts and adding them to the game is a huge work! We don't have NASA resources, you know? We can't get more intern artists! It's a big problem, like rabbits in Australia
LOG developer 2: Yes, rabbits... Hey wait, WHAT AN IDEA, LET'S IMPLEMENT RABBITS IN OUR GAME
LOG developer 1: Hey, man, we already have rabbits in the game!
LOG developer 2: Mmm, yes, but we don't have the Hyper-Promiscuous-Rabbit-of-Hell!, we could add it as a super-rare beast to get through boxes and keys!!
LOG developer 1: Mmmm, money... It sounds very good for me, take another paper napkin and start doing sketches...
LOG developer 2: Yes, sketches, we are good developers, we are experienced developers..
GOG staff: But...
LOG developer 1: Well, we will be still selling our game in your shop, we have a contract after all. And we will need all money we could get to pay our intern artists sandwiches, so we can get real money by selling stupid skins...
LOG developer 2: Yes, stupid skins...
LOG developer 1: ... But we will rename it as "incomplete edition" or "don't buy here edition", ok? And of course we don't care about refunds, we will get lots of money by selling the damn skins, we are experienced developers after all...
GOG staff: Err...
LOG developer 1: Well, nice doing business with you, bye bye
LOG developer 2: Yes, business...
GOG staff: Err...