It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Becoming a slightly different beast.

<span class="bold">Armello</span>, the digital tabletop/role-playing/strategy game, has now been updated and renamed to Armello - DRM Free Edition. It includes the latest fixes and updates, plus all these lovely animals who will eagerly stab each other with pointy things in order to become rulers of the land. Oh, and it's 25% off for six days!

This edition is a complete strategic experience and will keep receiving updates that are unrelated to DLCs or online features.

Here's what League of Geeks have to say about it (full version <span class="bold">here</span>):

"We want to ensure that whatever platforms Armello is on, we're providing the best experience that we possibly can. As Armello moves more and more into online services (like Steam inventory and more multiplayer features) and as we begin to roll out our plans for DLC, we've been working closely with GOG on an edition of Armello specific to GOG. [..]
We've had fantastic meetings with GOG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM-Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM-Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience. [...]."

Get ready to join this new era of colorful animosity with <span class="bold">Armello DRM-Free Edition</span>, exclusively on GOG.com.
The 25% discount will last until September 5, 9:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/o4e5s28x7Ps
Post edited August 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
high rated
Maybe some monks will apologize for this travesty in a video
high rated
PaterAlf: Maybe we'll get a letter from the M.D.. That's what normally happens after good news™. ;)
How long after that before he also leaves?

On a more serious note - funny, that's exactly what came to mind, have a +1!
JudasIscariot: Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know that we will have an update for you regarding the situation with Armello. Please stay tuned tomorrow :)
You planned all this, didn't you. :p
high rated
Hi again!
The Steam thread is closed. Detachment Dev. come back and locked it 5 minutes ago aprox.

He wrote things, here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/290340/discussions/0/350540973992434334/?ctp=8#c350540974002885722

JudasIscariot: Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know that we will have an update for you regarding the situation with Armello. Please stay tuned tomorrow :)
Thank you!

:)
Post edited September 05, 2016 by Hierosclito
high rated
DLC on DRM Free
Just because another studio or game has DLC on DRM Free, doesn't mean it's immediately a possibility for us or Armello. Assuming as much is incredibly naive. Every team's processes, resources, and games are innumerably different.

Almost every single piece of conjecture about ways we could have or should roll out our DLC on DRM Free have either been wildly off course or avenues we've already investigated.

Now, of course it's theoretically possible to have DLC on DRM Free, I mean, there's a robot taking selfies on Mars right now. So sure, given infinite resources and time we could undertake the task of rewriting the underlying architecture at the core of this decision, but that's straight up not feasible for a vast number of reasons that are unique to LoG, Armello, where we're standing right now and where we see Armello's future.
Okay, if that's their stance from a few minutes ago, things still aren't looking great for GOG.

Or common sense.
skeletonbow: Something funny just occurred to me, and I say it purely for the humour of it.

A few years ago when Omerta: City of Gangsters appeared on GOG, it showed up with DLC and the entire GOG community more or less went into a fit of outrage over DLC being present on GOG now, and that it was the sign of GOG going to hell in a handbasket. Fast-forward about 2.5 years if memory serves correct, and we can see the evolution of the GOG community embracing DLC to the fullest and going into outrage of a game coming to the store without its DLC. LOL

Not judging or anything like that, I'm neutral on DLC but I just thought the two scenarios were funny when it popped in my mind and thought you guys might get a laugh whether you like DLC or not. :)
Yep. You can include the "in development" section as well.
Lots of people saying that GOG was turning into Steam and that they'd abandon GOG if it kept selling "early access" games, then.
high rated
Vainamoinen: Okay, if that's their stance from a few minutes ago, things still aren't looking great for GOG.

Or common sense.
I love how their justification boils down to "Just because every other dev studio has solved this problem, doesn't mean WE can solve this problem. We'd need, like, NASA funding or something."
Well, in light of LoG last words in that Steam thread, I'm really curious what GOG's update on the situation here is going to be...
high rated
HypersomniacLive: Well, in light of LoG last words in that Steam thread, I'm really curious what GOG's update on the situation here is going to be...
We're not getting paid DLC - we're getting it for free ;)

Hah, I wish.
Man, could you just imagine the shitstorm on Steam...
high rated
Vainamoinen: Okay, if that's their stance from a few minutes ago, things still aren't looking great for GOG.

Or common sense.
bevinator: I love how their justification boils down to "Just because every other dev studio has solved this problem, doesn't mean WE can solve this problem. We'd need, like, NASA funding or something."
It's so blatantly bad reasoning.

Sometimes there are hard technical limitations that are inexplicable, and sometimes design decisions taken years ago really do bite you when you least expect it. This is very true and could be happening here.

But adding DLC or expansions is a solved problem. There is decades of solutions, for all kinds of technologies, with or without internet. Did they write a custom engine and then the programmer leave the company? That's the major thing I can think of.

All that BS about 'didn't expect to support it this long' is complete nonsense. Their Kickstarter page clearly described plans for future DLC. The dev tried to weasel around it by distinguishing between 'technical' and 'content' support, which makes no sense because the GOG version will get technical support (from the very same post!) just not DLCs. All of this is foolishness.
skeletonbow: A few years ago when Omerta: City of Gangsters appeared on GOG, it showed up with DLC and the entire GOG community more or less went into a fit of outrage over DLC being present on GOG now, and that it was the sign of GOG going to hell in a handbasket. Fast-forward about 2.5 years if memory serves correct, and we can see the evolution of the GOG community embracing DLC to the fullest and going into outrage of a game coming to the store without its DLC. LOL
I thought things had shifted somehow but couldn't remember. ;)
high rated
Hey everyone, a short announcement:

Due to changes to the GOG.com version of Armello and the fact that some online functionalities and future content for the game will not be available on GOG.com, we want to make sure all prior owners have a choice. If you feel that the current version of Armello is not something you wished for back when you bought the game - please contact our support team for a refund.
high rated
Gilozard: Sometimes there are hard technical limitations that are inexplicable, and sometimes design decisions taken years ago really do bite you when you least expect it. This is very true and could be happening here.
Indeed, but it helps when you actually explain what the problem is, as opposed to weaseling around the thing.
high rated

DLC on DRM Free
Now, of course it's theoretically possible to have DLC on DRM Free, I mean, there's a robot taking selfies on Mars right now. So sure, given infinite resources and time we could undertake the task of rewriting the underlying architecture at the core of this decision...
Vainamoinen:
And yet, according to other posts in this thread, pirates have somehow managed to do just that - and they've managed it without the benefit of having the source code.
Cypisss: Hey everyone, a short announcement:

Due to changes to the GOG.com version of Armello and the fact that some online functionalities and future content for the game will not be available on GOG.com, we want to make sure all prior owners have a choice. If you feel that the current version of Armello is not something you wished for back when you bought the game - please contact our support team for a refund.
The game should be removed from sale IMO. GOG already has a reputation for incomplete versions, missing Mac/Linux builds & late or missing patches; things like this will just make it even worse.
Post edited September 05, 2016 by adamhm
high rated
Cypisss: Hey everyone, a short announcement:

I think people of the industry should learn many things about the workers of this place. My respect to the GOG family.

@tinysalamander: Exactly.

@adamhm: This mess with LoG is big, I ´m agree with you, these things are bad to GOG, don´t deserve share relation with people in this way.

LoG, -1000000 points , and I´m benevolent.
Post edited September 05, 2016 by Hierosclito