It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

clarry: I understand why ppl would blame it on your PSU. Normally when GPUs are on the verge of overheating, they'd just throttle hard. Shutting off the PC is a dumb way to handle it.
I've had my computer shut off when it was badly overheating. (This computer is an Intel i5-4670-based system with broken cooling, trying to do too much at once (like watching a video while compiling software) without giving it a break.)

Normally, this computer throttles hard (down to less than 250MHz when overloaded), and that *usually* is enough to prevent overheating (though it does make the system nearly unusable, unless I can switch to a virtual console and do something like "pkill -STOP chromium" (which pauses every chromium process) to give the computer a chance to cool off.

As for the question, I might get one if they're relatively cheap by the time I'm ready to get a new desktop, but if I get one before hand I may get a CPU from the previous generation; I don't need every single bit of performance.

By the way, any estimates on how long it would take to compile Chromium on a Gentoo Linux system with one of these CPUs?

CymTyr: I just installed the "Normal" bios and my FPS went UP in Outer Worlds but down in Horizon: Zero Dawn by approximately 2. in TOW it went up by almost 40.
When did you measure this, when starting the game or after playing for a while? With thermal throttling, I would expect the game to initially have good performance, but then slow down to a slideshow. (I've experienced this with Hollow Knight, for example.)
Post edited October 26, 2020 by dtgreene
Yet another reminder to wait a bit before buying new hardware if you are not into testing it or want to risk finding out that this or that piece of hardware maybe is 25% faster at some things but a .5% SLOWER in a specific task you need it to do...

Some of Nvidia's currently new graphics cards had a slight problem too, already solved by the way. Hopefully AMD has hired more people for testing and software engineers (drivers and other SW) now that they can afford to but it takes a while for new hires to become useful.
CymTyr: I just installed the "Normal" bios and my FPS went UP in Outer Worlds but down in Horizon: Zero Dawn by approximately 2. in TOW it went up by almost 40.
dtgreene: When did you measure this, when starting the game or after playing for a while? With thermal throttling, I would expect the game to initially have good performance, but then slow down to a slideshow. (I've experienced this with Hollow Knight, for example.)
30-45 minute test runs on both games before and after switching the gpu BIOS.
Take a look at this stuff.
Attachments:
DreamedArtist: Take a look at this stuff.
Thanks. That makes the 5600X a lot more appealing.
What about Cinebench 11.5 Single-core results?
This test is more interesting for people with older CPUs.
vsr: What about Cinebench 11.5 Single-core results?
11.5 is very old and is not used for years. 15 is still used by many outlets, check notebookcheck.com as they usualy have a wide range of benchmarks.
Anyway here is a list with many tested CPU's. is not updated for a while but has many relevant data (note that you can choose 11.5 as well)
Post edited October 26, 2020 by Dark_art_
CymTyr: Thanks. That makes the 5600X a lot more appealing.
It's very impressive how the single core speeds shot up that much in one generation, Now I'm very curios to see if Intel can catch up or pass that with there 10nm part coming first quarter of 2021. but from the looks of it I will be dipping my feet into the 5950X for the hell of it. gonna sell my 3950X and use that to put towards the new chip.
CymTyr: Thanks. That makes the 5600X a lot more appealing.
Add the image I posted to your main forum post to let people who enter see it right away. I'm sure a lot won't scroll down to read everything to catch that image.
Post edited October 26, 2020 by DreamedArtist
vsr: What about Cinebench 11.5 Single-core results?
Not seen that version used in a long time sorry, :(
DreamedArtist: Add the image I posted to your main forum post to let people who enter see it right away. I'm sure a lot won't scroll down to read everything to catch that image.
Done. It's been so long since I've created a topic that I forgot forum etiquette. I added the other person's benches too.
Thoughts on MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK? I was planning on X570 chipset or waiting for X670 but it sounds like X670 was just a rumor and probably won't happen, while X570 looks ridiculously expensive (and I thought my C6H with X370 was expensive and here we are..) especially if you want passive cooling.

B550 tomahawk seems to have decent VRM for the price... and I guess it does have all the connectivity (plus bios flashback!) I need.

Is there any other board I should consider?
Post edited October 27, 2020 by clarry
dtgreene: By the way, any estimates on how long it would take to compile Chromium on a Gentoo Linux system with one of these CPUs?
A nice comparison of chromium compiling times on Windows
dtgreene: By the way, any estimates on how long it would take to compile Chromium on a Gentoo Linux system with one of these CPUs?
Dark_art_: A nice comparison of chromium compiling times on Windows
Do you have a source that isn't a video?

(Also, Linux data would be more relevant here.)
dtgreene: Do you have a source that isn't a video?
Print screen from the said video attached

dtgreene: (Also, Linux data would be more relevant here.)
There's a lot of data on Phoronix website (mainly Linux) but obviouly the benchmark suite doesn't include Chromium compiling.
Neither the less, here are two links that show some comparison:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=corei5-comet-sandy&num=6
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen-3000xt&num=2
Attachments:
clarry: Thoughts on MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK? I was planning on X570 chipset or waiting for X670 but it sounds like X670 was just a rumor and probably won't happen, while X570 looks ridiculously expensive (and I thought my C6H with X370 was expensive and here we are..) especially if you want passive cooling.

B550 tomahawk seems to have decent VRM for the price... and I guess it does have all the connectivity (plus bios flashback!) I need.

Is there any other board I should consider?
From what is mentioned all over the net, it's a solid board that can support the 12 core 3900X pretty well, it's a solid board for the price no doubt about it. The X670 chipset it being reserved for the final Ryzen series chip with DDR 5 support and maybe the included support of PCIE 5.0. I would not recommend anything else if you are sticking to B550 but if you are moving a step above to X570 I would wait for the refresh series to come out, seems like a lot of motherboard vendors are refreshing there lineup for the new 5000 series to work out of the box.

Is there a specific CPU you will be binding with your new board purchase? Very curious
Post edited October 27, 2020 by DreamedArtist