It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

dtgreene: If you zoom into the Mandelbrot set, you might find that parts of it appear disconnected, even though it's been proven that the set is, in fact, connected. So, if you were to render the at a higher resolution and average the pictures, might the connections that are otherwise not visible at that resolution appear?
clarry: If they appear by zooming in a bit, then they should also appear if you render at a higher resolution. Zooming in is functionally equivalent to increasing the resolution and then cropping the edges to bring you back to the original resolution.

Of course averaging a huge number of samples into a single pixel means dimnishing returns. Chances are that at some point adding more samples doesn't change the resulting image anymore. But that also depends on the dynamic range of the picture. A "hot spot" could change the final pixel value by quite a bit even if its averaged together with lots of other samples.
Perhaps I should mention one property of the Mandelbrot Set that you don't see in typical (non-fractal) images. Unlike in a typical image, with the Mandelbrot Set, no matter how far you zoom in, there's always more detail.

(With that said, there's another parameter to worry about, and that's the number of iterations you check before determining whether the point you're checking has escaped the set.)

Edit: Having actually written code to render the Mandelbrot Set on the GPU, when zooming in I run into the limit of single float precision.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by dtgreene
dtgreene: *snip*
Sorry I just now got back to GOG. I think the super sampling has already been explained, so I won't repeat it.

Whether or not the average person can see the difference? I definitely do see a difference between 1080p and 1440p but it's small. When I game at 4k, it looks amazingly detailed. It also helps I have a monitor designed to work with AMD cards, though it caps out at 72fps. It's nothing crazy :) It's also worth noting when I set super resolution, I can change my desktop resolution to up to 4k if I want. I just choose not to because the pixels on the 1080p monitor make everything REALLY small if I don't have a game open.
-Sim
Judicat0r: *snip*
I realized this might be what you meant after you posted and I responded, but it was too late to change it and I try not to ninja delete stuff these days.

Thanks for explaining :)
-Cym
Post edited November 21, 2020 by CymTyr
dtgreene: *snip*
CymTyr: Sorry I just now got back to GOG. I think the super sampling has already been explained, so I won't repeat it.

Whether or not the average person can see the difference? I definitely do see a difference between 1080p and 1440p but it's small. When I game at 4k, it looks amazingly detailed. It also helps I have a monitor designed to work with AMD cards, though it caps out at 72fps. It's nothing crazy :) It's also worth noting when I set super resolution, I can change my desktop resolution to up to 4k if I want. I just choose not to because the pixels on the 1080p monitor make everything REALLY small if I don't have a game open.
-Sim
Judicat0r: *snip*
CymTyr: I realized this might be what you meant after you posted and I responded, but it was too late to change it and I try not to ninja delete stuff these days.

Thanks for explaining :)
-Cym
It's something similar to watching native Youtube videos and 4K-downscaled ones on 1080p display: the 4K downscaled look better than the native ones.

It is a edge case since there is a sh*tload of conpression involved in YT videos but the principle is basically the same.
As I said earlier something similar has been used since forever in 2D graphics: when you need to upscale an image much is customary and advised to re-sample it first and then upscale it, this way the scaling algorithm can work on a greater number of image elements.

In the case of VSR/DSR you get the best results by downsampling a much higher resolution image usually and forcibly 4K.

VSR and DSR are really simple things with fancy names that have nothing to do with 3D rendering, I'll just leave it there ;)
Newest AMD drivers have the 5700 XT running even better. The key is if your card has a normal and high performance BIOS, go with normal. The high performance will cause thermal throttling and you'll actually get *lower* performance.
Oh they finally shipped my 5900X. So it should be here within a couple days.
clarry: Oh they finally shipped my 5900X. So it should be here within a couple days.
Nice! I hope it's as good as you expect :)
New CPU seems to have remarkably lower cache latency. Also remarkably lower latency for sequential RAM access, even when running at the same stock settings (2133MT/s) on the same motherboard.
Attachments:
clarry:
Makes a big difference in most games. That improvement shown in your picture is indeed quite huge.
clarry: New CPU seems to have remarkably lower cache latency. Also remarkably lower latency for sequential RAM access, even when running at the same stock settings (2133MT/s) on the same motherboard.
Huge difference! Almost a third of the time at 32gb. It's definitely tempting, but with having to buy a new fridge, my plans for any new hardware have been put on hold for a while.
CymTyr:
You know a broken thermostat can be changed. My dad once did for the fraction of what a new fridge and delivery would have cost. Of course, if the compressor is worn out, you are out of luck.
CymTyr:
Themken: You know a broken thermostat can be changed. My dad once did for the fraction of what a new fridge and delivery would have cost. Of course, if the compressor is worn out, you are out of luck.
It was the compressor. Thanks, though.
Depending on the status of stimulus checks here in the US, I might be able to pick up a 3800X in the near future :D It was a tough decision, and ultimately I'm super happy with my 3600 other than encoding videos, hence wanting a 3800x.

I'm hopeful by the time I'm ready to buy one, the price drops a decent chunk. I just have no interest in getting another motherboard, and the rumor is you need a x470 or higher motherboard for the 5000 series, so that settles that!

-Cym
CymTyr:
B450, X470, B550 or X570 but not A420 or anything else. They all need a UEFI update first for support, which the maker of your motherboard may skip releasing.
Not sure about A520.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by Themken
CymTyr:
Themken: B450, X470, B550 or X570 but not A420 or anything else. They all need a UEFI update first for support, which the maker of your motherboard may skip releasing.
Not sure about A520.
I read somewhere that they nixxed support for B450, but it might have been an outdated article. Thanks!
CymTyr: I read somewhere that they nixxed support for B450, but it might have been an outdated article. Thanks!
They were a bit to and fro on that.