It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Torchlight 2 (-25%, urgh), Banner Saga, Hob, Guild of Dungeoneering, Skyshine's Bedlam. Looks like a strategy/roguelike/RPG kind of sale but some of the discounts really suck.
Post edited October 19, 2018 by TentacleMayor
high rated
You know that you fucked up the news section when you have to bump your GOG-exclusive game title (Project Warlock) to the top again because it got buried after only a few hours. That's what they did yesterday and it says everything about their shitty design rework.

There are other things that literally piss me off, like the video autoplay, the stupid Thronebreaker banner which by now is just blatant advertisement, as well as all the other things that GOG can't get right (for example, I preordered PF:K Imperial Edition, yet after release no edition is shown as owned on the store).

I could go on and on. But GOG doesn't listen or care anyway. Highest priority right now is to get their bags full of Thronebreaker preorder money.
TentacleMayor: Torchlight 2 (-25%, urgh), Banner Saga, Hob, Guild of Dungeoneering, Skyshine's Bedlam. Looks like a strategy/roguelike/RPG kind of sale but some of the discounts really suck.
I've checked out the 'On Sale Now' link (via the drop down menu) and none of these games show up :( FFS GOG, what ARE you playing at? Just bring back the old design which was clean, stylish and worked!
TentacleMayor: Torchlight 2 (-25%, urgh), Banner Saga, Hob, Guild of Dungeoneering, Skyshine's Bedlam. Looks like a strategy/roguelike/RPG kind of sale but some of the discounts really suck.
Yeah, some of the discounts have been bad this year. Stuff that normally used to be discounted alot more too.
Pajama: I've checked out the 'On Sale Now' link (via the drop down menu) and none of these games show up :( FFS GOG, what ARE you playing at? Just bring back the old design which was clean, stylish and worked!
Yep, finding everything on sale is alot more difficult now. It was much easier with the the old site design where sale links were near the top of the page and 1-click away. I don't understand why that was changed, it makes no sense.

And yeah, finding games via the catalog browser can sometimes be buggy. More often when using it on your own library.
Post edited October 19, 2018 by Lucian_Galca

Btw, come back to Ars you... dweeb! :D
I do go back, just not signed in. They cover some great stuff, so it's hard to resist.

Surely, a way to get Gog's attention is to do it with a protest on a large scale. If most here, who don't like the update, stopped buying anything for a period that would hurt Gog financially, perhaps they would then take notice ?
high rated
Maybe it is just me, but I feel like the problem with these redesigns is that they seem to be built for viewing on mobile devices (and to a lesser extent inside galaxy) and are counter intuitive to mouse and keyboard centric browser application.

I mean I get that the world is mostly gravitating toward phones/tablets for internet browsing, but this is a website for the purpose of selling desktop computer games. (Though I still feel that GOG really should get in the DRM free mobile arena, even if it is on a limited scale)

So it seems to me that the webpage overlay should always put desktop viewing as its highest priority. At least until the day comes when the majority of games sold on GOG are playable on Android/IOS/FireOS etc mobile platforms.

Edit:

I am not fond of how much usable info has been either lost or obfuscated in this iteration. Primarily the difficulty it is to find specific (IE Weekly, Weekend, Daily )sales. Especially with the way that the "news" has been shunted to the bottom of the page which was usually the first or second thing I would look for each visit.

Also the curation sections are completely superfluous and definitely do not justify so much valuable real estate on the page for something that could be better served with a "Curated collections" button.

And Ive still yet to encounter any word on why "owned" has been removed in favor of "in library" given contextually how major of a change that opens potentially a lot of very nasty doors that a lot of people supporting GOG came here to escape.

Im far from a Luddite. Change can be good. However this collection of mostly aesthetic changes IMHO has NOT been favorable to GOG or its customers. I hope to see some major revisions to help smooth all these jagged edges off what has the potential to be favorable alterations.
Post edited October 19, 2018 by viranimus
I feel saying, "well they are designing for mobile, so that is why it is crap" is non helpful. All we really need some simple changes. Remove the videos. Remove the mouse hover design. Shrink the large ass banners on large screens (easy enough to detect screen size and make them larger on small screens). Add a few other minor touches (like re-working the layout a bit).

Then the vast majority of the complaints would be satisfied and mobile would not be changed much at all.
Post edited October 19, 2018 by BKGaming
So now we have 2 BIG banners instead just one...And I was complaining about menu bar few years ago :-(
I have to say, what they did today is a creative way to try and make the update from a week ago look competent and user-friendly.
BKGaming: I feel saying, "well they are designing for mobile, so that is why it is crap" is non helpful. All we really need some simple changes. Remove the videos. Remove the mouse hover design. Shrink the large ass banners on large screens (easy enough to detect screen size and make them larger on small screens). Add a few other minor touches (like re-working the layout a bit).

Then the vast majority of the complaints would be satisfied and mobile would not be changed much at all.
Well it is helpful because "Dissent is the first step of progress of any man or nation " - Fortune cookie

On a more serious note, actually I feel the videos are a welcome addition.... IF they were not embedded as auto load/play eating more system resources when a page is loading.

I do agree on mouse hover though.
high rated
Breja: Text? All text should be removed and replaced with huge pictures. It's 2018, making your customers read is inexcusable.
Apparently, GOG's new motto is the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words"...
tburger: So now we have 2 BIG banners instead just one...And I was complaining about menu bar few years ago :-(
I was wondering if I am remembering things correctly by that opening GOG page did not resulted in two big images larger than my single browser screen.

Looks like I did.
TStael: I would suggest voluntary secondary e-mail to games to allow them to be handed off upon death, like a painting owned.
djoxyk: just include login/pass for your gaming accounts into your last will. sure you can't take it to grave but there's no reason why you family members can't use it. I've heard there was cases with steam when they transferred account to a sibling after they asked Valve nicely. But I see no reason why any one should ask. Neither gog or steam has scan of your ID and you're not sticking your body parts to the login box for checks :) that could be anyone with your login access and no one will care
I kind of hate being the stick in the mud, but I feel it is exactly what gog.com is about: we do own these games. We do not rent them, or temporarily posess them - we OWN our games.

And in the EU, we still do - Valve or Origin or whatnot.

Including log-in pass requires submission of your account bound e-mail, with full credentials. I want my brother to have command of my estate - not access to my e-mail.

My brother loves me dearly, that's why.

On tops: @gog.com - a few of us might die whithout gaming loving heir. For the games my bro and my best friend might not want - I'd like them to go to poor gaming inspired children, girl gamer children in particular.

My rig included.
high rated
not that it hasnt been already said by others but throwing in my two cents is that im NOT happy with these changes and i now actually hate checking in with GOG to see what is new
high rated
The frontpage has gotten worse! Now it is constantly moving and trying to attract my attention. No Gog I am here for information. Not for you to try to advertise to me. This is so scummy. And you are playing youtube videos when I hover over the page?

Who the hell took over Gog? Have you been bought by a large company?