It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

What about Lords of Xulima?
I can think of a more adult oriented dungeon crawler, but i'm going to guess that's not an option. Large mazes with an auto map, etc.
kohlrak: For what it's worth, Balrum. RPGs like this reward you for exploring. Pretty much anything these days reward it, really.
OldOldGamer: I had so much hope for this one.
But the game system underlying is... Crap IMHO.

Is that kind of game where you start as a wolking dead (D&D wizard syndrome): even the insect in the bushes 1m behind your house will kill you in 2 hits.
Then you have 800 hit points...

I was so annoyed that I even hidden the game in my library XD
Nah, that's cause you went whre you sholdn't. If you look at the map, you realize that there's plenty of space back there. You're supposed to run from anything not very close to your level (2 above is too much). The game's primary problem is the shit they went through to balance the game in such a way to make up for the lack of content, which ends up ruining the whole idea of the safe space.
kohlrak: You're supposed to run from anything not very close to your level (2 above is too much).
Sounds like a single level makes too much of a difference here. Is there a reason a level 40 character should have no chance against a level 42 enemy?

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth is an example of a game that suffers from this sort of issue, and when combined with enemies scaling to your main character's level (up to a point), the result is a game that most players, to my understanding, found too difficult to be fun. (It also has the effect of making solo runs far easier than they ought to be.)
OldOldGamer: I had so much hope for this one.
But the game system underlying is... Crap IMHO.

Is that kind of game where you start as a wolking dead (D&D wizard syndrome): even the insect in the bushes 1m behind your house will kill you in 2 hits.
Then you have 800 hit points...

I was so annoyed that I even hidden the game in my library XD
kohlrak: Nah, that's cause you went whre you sholdn't. If you look at the map, you realize that there's plenty of space back there. You're supposed to run from anything not very close to your level (2 above is too much). The game's primary problem is the shit they went through to balance the game in such a way to make up for the lack of content, which ends up ruining the whole idea of the safe space.
Not sure I understood what you mean
Litterally, the insect in the bush 20 squares from your house will kill you in two hits
kohlrak: You're supposed to run from anything not very close to your level (2 above is too much).
dtgreene: Sounds like a single level makes too much of a difference here. Is there a reason a level 40 character should have no chance against a level 42 enemy?

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth is an example of a game that suffers from this sort of issue, and when combined with enemies scaling to your main character's level (up to a point), the result is a game that most players, to my understanding, found too difficult to be fun. (It also has the effect of making solo runs far easier than they ought to be.)
Yeah, max level is like 12, and that's if you're lucky enough to find enough enemies, skillbooks, etc to get that high. Realistically, you'll beat the unfair final boss at level 10, so shave a 0 off your traditional levels and it makes sense.

EDIT: Investing in crafting to use the game's main gimmick is basically enabling hard mode. Your stuff is better spent elsewhere.

kohlrak: Nah, that's cause you went whre you sholdn't. If you look at the map, you realize that there's plenty of space back there. You're supposed to run from anything not very close to your level (2 above is too much). The game's primary problem is the shit they went through to balance the game in such a way to make up for the lack of content, which ends up ruining the whole idea of the safe space.
OldOldGamer: Not sure I understood what you mean
Litterally, the insect in the bush 20 squares from your house will kill you in two hits
And that happens in Oblivion as well. You very quickly learn to stick to the cleared out areas and avoid things well above your level.
Post edited December 13, 2018 by kohlrak
kohlrak: And that happens in Oblivion as well. You very quickly learn to stick to the cleared out areas and avoid things well above your level.
Not in vanilla Oblivion. Level scaling. Admittedly, the scaling isn't linear for enemies so enemies will be easier as you get stronger, but level scaling, dude.
Post edited December 13, 2018 by paladin181
A bit out of left field perhaps, but Darkwood. Exploration is major component of the game, which it does very well, and the game has rpg elements.

Of those already mentioned the sense of exploration was very strong for me in the Fallout games (1 to 3 at least).

Exploration is also criminally fun in Thief 2&3, literally! Though it's not an rpg series.
dtgreene: Sounds like a single level makes too much of a difference here. Is there a reason a level 40 character should have no chance against a level 42 enemy?

kohlrak: Yeah, max level is like 12, and that's if you're lucky enough to find enough enemies, skillbooks, etc to get that high. Realistically, you'll beat the unfair final boss at level 10, so shave a 0 off your traditional levels and it makes sense.

EDIT: Investing in crafting to use the game's main gimmick is basically enabling hard mode. Your stuff is better spent elsewhere.

OldOldGamer: Not sure I understood what you mean
kohlrak: And that happens in Oblivion as well. You very quickly learn to stick to the cleared out areas and avoid things well above your level.
LoL
No. I can discriminate what is a broken\unbalanced\poor game system or like wandering in a dangerous place.

Balrum is definitely broken.
Maxvorstadt: What about Lords of Xulima?
The game start crap.
Develop somewhat crap.
Don t know how to end, as I changed PC and lost savegames, and could not stand all that crapness again.
Post edited December 13, 2018 by OldOldGamer