It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

wpegg: The exit polls are not in your favour - 54% no.
Navagon: I was expecting close to 60%. Talking the talk is one thing. But when you're alone in the booth and nobody would be any the wiser, do you really throw everything into chaos in the hope that when the dust has cleared, years later, things will have improved substantially?

History dictates that a far greater injustice is required for people to take such action than that which Westminster's constant scandals have caused for people to make such a call.
I called it 60 too (previous (long ago) post). Guess there's a real drive in the yes vote.
Post edited September 18, 2014 by wpegg
wpegg: I called it 60 too (previous post). Guess there's a real drive in the yes vote.
I don't know if I'm more amazed or disappointed that people are so fervent about independence when even the most significant, essential details are still entirely up in the air. I know Westminster isn't exactly inspiring and I can only imagine that they're even less so north of the border than they are in the neglected not London part of England I live in. But we only need for them to not fuck things up too badly and stop getting in the way. As long as their bumbling isn't too damaging then they're tolerable.

But independence would mean total trust and utter reliance on Alex Salmond in ways in which no UK MP has ever been trusted or relied upon. Maybe it requires a Scottish outlook, but I just don't see what's so inspiring about him that people would throw their lives and the lives of their children into his hands.
Would be a tad anticlimactic, though.
Apparently, CNN failed in their head count while doing polls. This is not the first time this has happened. Gotta love polls.
Attachments:
Telika: Would be a tad anticlimactic, though.
Maybe for the rest of the world. For the Scots, they get a better deal out of it than they have already, and things are already biased in their favour. All without any upheaval or uncertainty. Can't argue with that.
As an Englishman the thing that worries me the most is that we'll effectively have a one party political system over here if we split. I shudder at the thought of what Cameron could do if left unopposed.
There has been talk of secession throughout my life in my native Texas. It seems attractive in terms of pride, but not so much in its practical aspects. Currency is of course a big practical question, as has been discussed, among other things. In my mind the more important thing is what would the new nation do with itself? One shackle for another is not a worthy bargain, as has also been said. If the debate is less about pride and more about "We don't want X. We want Y." That would get my attention and I'd consider the arguments.
If yes wins, I hope it's good for Scotland. If no wins, I hope the nationalists accept it peacefully.

wpegg: The exit polls are not in your favour - 54% no.
Navagon: I was expecting close to 60%. Talking the talk is one thing. But when you're alone in the booth and nobody would be any the wiser, do you really throw everything into chaos in the hope that when the dust has cleared, years later, things will have improved substantially?

History dictates that a far greater injustice is required for people to take such action than that which Westminster's constant scandals have caused for people to make such a call.
Well said.
Post edited September 18, 2014 by Gerin
Reet... there be a betta plan!
Attachments:
Post edited September 18, 2014 by Sachys
I'm pretty sure this whole referendum crap would be more fair, straightforwards and sincerely talked out if the only people allowed to vote, stand for election or have any opinion on the matter, were required by law to be publically castrated prior to any involvement. In short it would reduce the amount of utter bollocks.
Sachys: Reet... there be a betta plan!
If you could include: Free vouchers for Yorkshire puds; I will vote for you!
Egotomb: If you could include: Free vouchers for Yorkshire puds; I will vote for you!
who would need vouchers?!

IT WOULD BE THA BLOODY CURRENCY YA TWAZZOCK!
Post edited September 18, 2014 by Sachys
I think Scotland should be given the opportunity to decide its own future, free of outside influences. They could fail or they could succeed but they should have the chance to. Independence should be restored.
Clearly, this is an ancient and ennobled people, yearning for its freedom under the sun and a rightful place among the most enlightened of nations in the universe!
Spinorial: Clearly, this is an ancient and ennobled people, yearning for its freedom under the sun and a rightful place among the most enlightened of nations in the universe!
THE SUN!?! WHARRAFOOK YERRONNABOUT LAD?
Egotomb: As an Englishman the thing that worries me the most is that we'll effectively have a one party political system over here if we split. I shudder at the thought of what Cameron could do if left unopposed.
I heard a couple of opinions like that from the other side as well. It sounded a bit like at least some yes-folks were quietly folding and preparing a better "federal option" as the vote came closer. That perhaps a small victory for keeping the union was actually the most politically expedient result.

Anyway - the turnout seems extremely high :) That's good as well, regardless of which way the result ends up.