It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
RS1978: You 've forgot the best of all: "Gewaltgeminderte Fassung. Nur in deutscher Sprache verfügbar." :p
Cifer29: Now these two things would actually bother me a hell of a lot more than the regional pricing to be honest. Yes it sucks grapefruits (now whoever can tell me where I got this quote from will get a giftable key of Dust an Elysian Tale from me. Hint that guy has nothing to do with games at all) that everyone and the kitchen sink seems to be hoping on the regional pricing wagon to appease the publishers. But I learned to deal with that, even if that means I have to wait a while till it gets on sale so I can finally get it for a fair price. What I can't deal with is if that change would mean that we also get seperate regional versions of the game. That would be a nogo for me and I would never buy a game that is censored. Had to give up on quite a few good games cause of that very reason.
I can absolutely agree with your statement. :)
So we are getting regional pricing to have Risen 1+2 on here?

Can't wait to find out what the pre-order is for!
TheEnigmaticT: Sure, game is 35 euro. Since we aren't set up to process euro, we charge ~$45 in USD (the USD equivalent) for it and explain why.
VanishedOne: Have you plans to offer other currency options? As several people have pointed out, regional pricing + currency conversion fees will make GOG extra-expensive.
Yes, eventually. The "when" of that is determined largely upon when all of the contracts / development can be finished.
I think we all should be thankful that GOG, the last bulwork of DRM-Free gaming, is trying to reach more people and spreading this dying idea to the world, with the help of bigger developers and new games. Yes, old games are great and it is always fun to have a unique site which will keep us covered with awsome classics, but this model won't keep this site alive forever because most of the best of the best classic games are already here and got bought by many. The ressources are not endless and i predict that some more companies will be pulling some titels from the site, like Bethesda did with the Fallout series.

I see in GOG not only a site for buying good old games, I see a site that is fighting for a DRM-Free world against those greedy corporations and their moneygrabbing buisness models, false promises and restrictions for products the consumer paid good money for.

Again: We should be thankful and we should stand and fight with them, armed with our wallest, backing their plans in expanding, and helping in times of struggle... Because, if DRM has no one else to stand against, we all will be sitting infront of our screens paying nearly a 100$ for unfinished and unpolished products that trick us in buying more and more overprized content and we don't even get the freedom do do with those products what we want.
I'm not a total gamer but I see the development in the market and i don't like it.

GOG, you have my full support ( "and my ax" ;) )
following steam's example
Greenmangaming turned $=€/£
Humble store went $=€/£

is gog.com going to be another one in the line except for maybe staying with $ but raising the price of all the stuff?
TheEnigmaticT: GOG.com will remain DRM-Free, certainly. The games that we're bringing you guys? If they're not DRM-free here, I don't see them being DRM-Free anywhere.
RS1978: That sounds nice in theory, but a DRM-free game I can't buy as a German is of no avail for me. Steam has many games which are not available or only censored available for German market. What you describe is exactly such a situation for further releases.
This is spot on
It really stinks for some people, but if the regional pricing is holding back studios and publishers alike to strike a deal with gog then I'll for it.

It's easier to change their afterwards... I guess it's the next revolution after drm.
vulchor: There's not single country-wide income level either. Or province-wide, county-wide, city-wide, street-wide, etc. But a commodity needs to have a set value.
amok: yeah, but inside a single country there tends to be some attempts to create a minimum income level and unified living costs.
Bah, attempts don't go very far in my country, thank you for reminding me.
high rated
I do not like this news, but I'll suspend my judgment until I see the new politics in action.
A thing is sure, though: one of the GoG pillars has been demolished, and that alone is well worth the community concern. If one can crumble so easily, when will the others follow?
Do ends justify the means? On the homepage of GoG, I once thought to see an implicit but nonetheless vivid and passionate NO; now, I'm not too sure if it's still there.
I said it once and I'll repeat: I can understand the regional pricing due to VAT, since nobody can argue that with same prices for everyone losses would be overwhelming -and especially so on new titles, but nothing more than that.
If it just becomes the shameless exploitation other stores are abusing of, my wallet will take severe measures (let's be precise: VAT can be high, that is true, but the too common equation 1€=1$ simply means an outrageous and unjustified 34% of increase in prices, and I fear that will be the case, just as Humble did recently).
Since I'm relatively new here, I perfectly remeber why I joined: I saw ethics in a field completely corrupted by a sick model of business and people who were not afraid to row against the current, winning my trust and that of many others.
I hope those ideals are still alive.

Anyway, I think everyone expects clarification about gift codes, region locks, payments and change of prices in the old catalog as soon as possible.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Enebias
I can sympathise with the frustrations of those who will ultimately have to pay a higher price due to regional pricing and GOG only accepting US currency. However, it is important to remember that GOG is not introducing regional pricing across their entire catalogue but rather only in these cases where it is between getting a game DRM-free or not getting the game at all. It's unfortunate that this has to happen for these titles to be available on GOG, but it seems to me that many of us would be willing to pay a bit more for having the ability to buy our games through our favourite shop.
TheEnigmaticT: GOG.com will remain DRM-Free, certainly. The games that we're bringing you guys? If they're not DRM-free here, I don't see them being DRM-Free anywhere.
RS1978: That sounds nice in theory, but a DRM-free game I can't buy as a German is of no avail for me. Steam has many games which are not available or only censored available for German market. What you describe is exactly such a situation for further releases.
True enough. And I hope that will never happen, but if it does, then there's still a game that's DRM-free in 195 other countries in the world, which seems a lot better to me than a game which is DRM-free in 0 countries.
Is Metal Gear Solid 5 or Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 coming to GOG? :)
TheEnigmaticT: To my knowledge, there's no plans currently underweigh to change how gifting works.
Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Hope it remains the case, then.

TheEnigmaticT: We're from Europe after all (well, everyone in the company but me. w0rma, and TurnipSlayer)
Wait, Judas is from Europe? When did Hell join the EU?
The Witcher 2 was censored in my country, but I went into my profile, set my region to somewhere else and was able to purchase the proper version without issue.
ne_zavarj: ( Who will buy a DRM free release of a game if it's already on Steam from the early alpha stage since months ? )
Early access is just a fad (a passing thing). It brings only spoilers for the players and only suitable for online games (and most of the GOG games are offline). It's only my opinion though.