It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
high rated
HGiles: TeT said that so far it's only 3 games.

Logically, all the games already here have their pricing structure locked into the contract. We can't know when those contracts come up for renegotiation, but it's probably not any time soon.
Petrell: Don't delude yourself. The big publishers will demand renegotiation of all contracts in excange of offering more games on GOG and again GOG will cave in. As long as all parties involved "agree", contracts are renegotiable.
I don't think I'm the delusional one in this conversation.

Do you know how much time and money must be spent to renegotiate a contract? It's not free or easy for either side. I seriously doubt that companies are going to renegotiate contracts with GOG for this. They might if they believe the new EU rules require that, but I can't see another sound business reason to do so.
stoicsentry: GOG can't compete with Steam on Steam's terms. The only way GOG competes with Steam is by being special. They can't abandon what makes them special or Steam will destroy them. They no longer focus on "old" games only (understandably but lamentably) and now no more flat pricing.

Thankfully they still haven't given up on the DRM-free plank which is arguably their biggest difference. But they have abandoned 2 of their 3 core principles. If DRM-free falls then they are finished.
trusteft: I am sure they won't abandon DRM-FREE core value the same way they never abandoned any other core value.
Oh wait. Never mind.
In fairness, I think DRM-free has always been their #1 thing. So honestly I am not too worried about them giving up on that. But you are certainly justified to be concerned.
Don't want to rant too much here, but how about you keep your plans and just do them on another site? Like "gog-GNG.com" ("Great new games") or whatever.

I really like you guys for what you're doing, but ever since the Indie titles came to the shop, the meaning of "good old games" somehow started to go *pouff*. I do like Indie games, don't get me wrong in this. Even bought some here on gog. :)

Why brand new games on a site called good "old" games?

I really, really hope you can keep up what you've been doing so far and what made me create an account here - just put the new games somewhere else and let people choose what to shop.
Please.
:(

so will these new games be around $50-$60 USD for Australia then?
RS1978: I'm not here for "great community" (have a real life with good friends, you know) but for "DRM-free" and "Uncensored" games. We can talk about prices, but if I have to pay German prices, than I want full German language support as well of course.
I stated the "great community" (in quotation marks for a reason), because you can read that over and over again in lots of comments - how great the GOG-community is, compared to -say- the "cesspool" on Steam.

And now, you find no one saying, "ah, bugger...regional pricing, that sucks...oh, f**k it, at least the community is great!"
Instead you find people saying, they rather buy on Steam, because there are the better deals ;o)

Regarding the "DRM-free" and "uncensored": I'm here for the DRM-free, too. I never minded the goodies (nice, yes - but mostly unimportant (to me)).

As far as I'm aware, all games here on GOG are uncensored, no? Not that this point matters that much (for me!). I played System Shock 2 with green (?) blood, so I really don't care. :o)

Regarding the German language support: While I cannot speak for the GOG-crew (naturally), I do think, that Pubishers like Daedalic will give us our language-packs now much faster (on release day?), since I firmly believe, that the non-regional pricing on GOG kept them from giving us (German) customers these in the first place.

And like I wrote in my comment: If anything that really matters changes (in my case: DRM-freedom) - I'll turn my back and never look back.
I will pass these new releases and continue to purchase games from my wishlist .
justanoldgamer: To go where exactly? Steam?
stoicsentry: GOG can't compete with Steam on Steam's terms. The only way GOG competes with Steam is by being special. They can't abandon what makes them special or Steam will destroy them. They no longer focus on "old" games only (understandably but lamentably) and now no more flat pricing.

Thankfully they still haven't given up on the DRM-free plank which is arguably their biggest difference. But they have abandoned 2 of their 3 core principles. If DRM-free falls then they are finished.
GOG losing a major selling point is one of the biggest issues with this decision. We'll have to see if it was worth it.
ecips: Why brand new games on a site called good "old" games?
Is not "Good old games" but simply "G O G" for almost two years....
I honestly think people are overreacting. It's not as if GOG is ditching worldwide pricing -- indeed, one of the core principles that keeps me coming here, instead of other digital retailers. I believe most of the games will not be region priced, only newly added ones, if the publishers so choose.

Honestly, is this that big of a deal? People just like to complain, I guess, get that bit of attention out of "hey!, I'm a unique, special snowflake, and I'm angry!" GOG will continue to be GOG, most of the games will keep with the pricing plan they have now.

I wonder whether if GOG said something like "we have been negotiating with LucasArts/Disney and the only way they're letting us sell Grim Fandango is if we sell it with regional pricing" that would generate the same backlash and negative reaction. I'd rather have to compromise and give in on regional pricing for some developers/publishers, if that means having more great games DRM-free. All you Bethesda lovers out there, what if this means we'll get their overrated Elder Scrolls games on GOG?! Would you still complain just for complaining's sake, then?

Maybe it's me, perhaps I'm the gullible one, but I believe in GOG and though I'm not ecstatic about these news, I can see the good in them. And, to be honest, there's more good than harm coming from this.

All I ask is for you to think about it: sure, it's a compromise, but isn't it worth it, if it means finally getting our favorite games in here?
I really don't like this.
One of the main feature of GOG is that you have the same price for everyone. Changing that is like hinting that even drm free is in discussion of change if it became convenient. Not having regional prices is a reason why people buy on GOG, changing that and people might as well buy on other stores because there's no more difference.

You clearly have a choice: don't sell games that require regional prices. You do the same for games that have drm and it worked well. Are you going to say that you could someday be open to drm while you based all your wealth and luck on the pride of not having to use them? Publicity when saying that you can do that even if others don't? Without even talking about the trust that you earned (and earned again after the pr stunt) from the community?

You say that regional pricing is becaming a standard around the globe. Wasn't drm the same? Weren't you able to succeed without being another clone of an existent store?

Also. You said that you'll do a similar thing you did with The Witcher 2. Apart from the fact that people bought the game here showing the goodwill of supporting you, and that that was a one case where you where not prepared in time to avoid the regional pricing (due to retail version), you also gave coupon to the user for the difference they paid. Are you going to do that even in this case?
high rated
HGiles: Wait, limited DRM? This is the first time I've heard of that.
gibbeynator: GOG did a survey around a year ago, asking people about putting limited DRM in games in an attempt to bring in some newer releases. We said no, and they said "we super duper pinkie promise to only sell DRM-filled games if they have some kind of offline mode". Not sure what happened afterwards, but it was surveyed alongside Early Access, and that's supposed to be coming sometime this year.
We decided it was a terrible idea, but we wanted to gauge the community interest about it in general. The community actually didn't seem to mind it, which is interesting, but we decided in the end it's not right for us.
Screw the partners and stick a knife in their backs. Whatever you signed was some bad tape.

Is Curse to blame? I knew we shouldn't have trusted a company that was named 'curse'!

If you need me, I'll be passing out DRM free torches and pitchforks in exchange for equal pricing for all.
ecips: Why brand new games on a site called good "old" games?
nansounet: Is not "Good old games" but simply "G O G" for almost two years....
Exactly why I made a thread called "GOG desperately needs a new acronym".
MIK0: I really don't like this.
One of the main feature of GOG is that you have the same price for everyone. Changing that is like hinting that even drm free is in discussion of change if it became convenient. Not having regional prices is a reason why people buy on GOG, changing that and people might as well buy on other stores because there's no more difference.

You clearly have a choice: don't sell games that require regional prices. You do the same for games that have drm and it worked well. Are you going to say that you could someday be open to drm while you based all your wealth and luck on the pride of not having to use them? Publicity when saying that you can do that even if others don't? Without even talking about the trust that you earned (and earned again after the pr stunt) from the community?

You say that regional pricing is becaming a standard around the globe. Wasn't drm the same? Weren't you able to succeed without being another clone of an existent store?

Also. You said that you'll do a similar thing you did with The Witcher 2. Apart from the fact that people bought the game here showing the goodwill of supporting you, and that that was a one case where you where not prepared in time to avoid the regional pricing (due to retail version), you also gave coupon to the user for the difference they paid. Are you going to do that even in this case?
The announcement says that they're offering free games for people who preorder the regionally priced games. TL;DR less.
Well, if now most of us arent happy with this, i guess we just have to vote with our wallets.