It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
windstriker: Am I the only person who gets the feeling that GOG.com was trying its hardest to hint that one of the games up for preorder is Witcher 3, without breaking their NDA? I just get that feeling with them making references to what they did with Witcher 2, them mentioning the NDA, and also saying that 2 of the games are rpgs.
Risen 3 maybe?
vulchor: I don't care what titles these are, I WILL NEVER purchase them, EVEN IF THERE'S A FIRE!!
Not making a statement, just making a Step Brothers reference.
fippmeister: I'm holding off judgement until I get to see how the regional pricing actually works. Who knows; maybe they'll mix it up by basing game price on region's average income or the amount of tax they're expected to pay instead of just increasing the price 30% for all countries ever associated with europe. *shrugs*
We like gog for a reason, so we shouldn't give up on them right away even though they look like a spineless sellout at the moment. Remember: if things are exactly how they first appear, gog would've shut down four years ago.
Sorry, bud, but you're in denial. GOG is admitting that they are letting the publisher decide the regional pricing. It wont be anything "Fun" or "FAIR" like you are dreaming about. Read about how huge the differences in prices can be for games in Australia, for example. Is Australia so much richer than the US, which usually sees the lowest prices? No. There is no credible reason for this in my opinion.
high rated
P1na: As you abandon your core principles, your core customers will abandon you in turn...
justanoldgamer: To go where exactly? Steam?
GOG can't compete with Steam on Steam's terms. The only way GOG competes with Steam is by being special. They can't abandon what makes them special or Steam will destroy them. They no longer focus on "old" games only (understandably but lamentably) and now no more flat pricing.

Thankfully they still haven't given up on the DRM-free plank which is arguably their biggest difference. But they have abandoned 2 of their 3 core principles. If DRM-free falls then they are finished.
Impaler26: It's sad to see regional pricing coming to GOG! :(

I hope the games from those "big publishers" are worth it (somewhat at least)...
TheEnigmaticT: Divinity: Original Sin is an example of the kind of game we're talking about; it's already launched on Steam for early access with regional pricing, and it wouldn't be very fair of Larian to give our EU and UK users a better value for the game if they buy it from GOG.com later as opposed to Steam now.
Couldn´t you just raise your prizes but keep the "one world"-philosphy?
I can accept high prizes for getting an over-the-top DRM-free game, but I don´t like if folks aren´t treated the same way!

And no, Im not saying this as I´m a german user. I´m internationalist by heart, like I´m DR-hater by hearth!
Post edited February 21, 2014 by RadonGOG
Mivas: No, otherwise GOG wouldn't be able to sell games here for years. Publishers and retailers like to argue it is because of VAT but they price their product much higher than is an actual VAT percentage in the country in reality.
GabiMoro: Why wouldn't they? If we believe Phil Fish then 30% of the sale income is GOG's cut (same as Steam).

If a game is sold for 10$:
- if a US citizen buys it then the developer gets 7$ and GOG gets 3$.
- if a european buys it then the developer gets 7$, GOG gets 1,33$ while 1,77$ represents VAT (I considered a 20% VAT)

So GOG could still sell games at same global prices but it's much profitable for them to sell the games to US, Canada and so on.

EDIT: spelling.
I guess this is more correct: "Wouldn't have been able to sell"

Legislation didn't change, so logically if a current publisher and distributor like GOG change their policies to presumably reflect VAT (I can quarantee you extra will be higher than VAT), it has to be their decision. Not move forced by legislation.

It is obviously decision purely based on money and I might not agree with it as a customer but I can understand that from a primitive capitalist perspective but please don't make it look like they are poor little things suddenly forced by the strong fist of European Union.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Mivas
high rated
Impaler26: It's sad to see regional pricing coming to GOG! :(

I hope the games from those "big publishers" are worth it (somewhat at least)...
TheEnigmaticT: Divinity: Original Sin is an example of the kind of game we're talking about; it's already launched on Steam for early access with regional pricing, and it wouldn't be very fair of Larian to give our EU and UK users a better value for the game if they buy it from GOG.com later as opposed to Steam now.
Well? Regional pricing isn't "very fair of Larian," but it's obviously not stopping them, is it?

Not personally effected, but feeling seriously let down. You say in an interview that "We’re known principally for a few things: our games have no DRM, we price things fairly all around the world at one flat price, and we provide lots of customer support, goodies, and a lively community."

WELL WHEN YOU'RE ONLY KNOWN FOR AS FEW THINGS, IT ISN'T A VERY GREAT IDEA TO SHIT ONE OF THEM AWAY, IS IT?

Yes, Well. I stared at that all-caps sentence for a while, wondering if I should reconsider it, but I'm leaving it be. It does such a lovely job of expressing my opinion of all this.
PaterAlf: I'd rather not have any new games here than a shit like regional pricing.
I couldn't say it better myself..
Impaler26: GamersGate
DotEmu
Humble Store
ShinyLoot
FireFlower Games

Just a few examples... ;-)
They have regional pricing now too.. :(
HypersomniacLive: I'm confused - since you only accept USD dollars, can you give us an example to clarify what exactly you mean?
TheEnigmaticT: Sure, game is 35 euro. Since we aren't set up to process euro, we charge ~$45 in USD (the USD equivalent) for it and explain why.
Have you plans to offer other currency options? As several people have pointed out, regional pricing + currency conversion fees will make GOG extra-expensive.
stoicsentry: GOG can't compete with Steam on Steam's terms. The only way GOG competes with Steam is by being special. They can't abandon what makes them special or Steam will destroy them. They no longer focus on "old" games only (understandably but lamentably) and now no more flat pricing.

Thankfully they still haven't given up on the DRM-free plank which is arguably their biggest difference. But they have abandoned 2 of their 3 core principles. If DRM-free falls then they are finished.
I am sure they won't abandon DRM-FREE core value the same way they never abandoned any other core value.
Oh wait. Never mind.
vulchor: I don't care what titles these are, I WILL NEVER purchase them, EVEN IF THERE'S A FIRE!!
Shaolin_sKunk: Not making a statement, just making a Step Brothers reference.
hahahaha, great reference!
Is anyone else getting the feeling that one of the RPGs being announced is The Witcher 3, based solely on how they keep bringing up Witcher 2? @_@

I mustn't be excited, I mustn't be excited....oh please be true!
HypersomniacLive: I'm confused - since you only accept USD dollars, can you give us an example to clarify what exactly you mean?
TheEnigmaticT: Sure, game is 35 euro. Since we aren't set up to process euro, we charge ~$45 in USD (the USD equivalent) for it and explain why.
yeah, that means that I lose out by PayPal conversion, as opposed to those sites who charge me directly in £ (If I understand it correctly).

So if your conversion is 1-to-1 in $ in comparison to other stores, it means that in fact buying the game here is a bit more expensive for me...
So will gog be able to get more older games because of this change?