It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
gibbeynator: GOG did a survey around a year ago, asking people about putting limited DRM in games in an attempt to bring in some newer releases. We said no, and they said "we super duper pinkie promise to only sell DRM-filled games if they have some kind of offline mode". Not sure what happened afterwards, but it was surveyed alongside Early Access, and that's supposed to be coming sometime this year.
HGiles: I thought you were talking about something new.

Selling games with DRM deactivated and no multiplayer, or CD key-based multiplayer, is something GOG already does. That's not a concern for me.
mqstout: To be honest, I'd rather not have the game in the GOG catalog than have you tread down this slippery screw-the-customer-over slope, just as I can and do go without the game than have DRM.
HGiles: It seems likely this is the result of new rules in the EU. GOG may not have a choice about it. It's not the only distributor adding regional pricing recently.
It only has to be playable offline, it doesn't have to have a single player component. Their example was Planetary Annihilation and they said that it can be played without being connected to the server, but you can't do anything else in the game without having a connection.
high rated
Ghorpm: How about this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos
"In GOG.com's second commercial leading up to our announcement on Tuesday, 27 March 2012, we see the embodiment of another one of our core values."

Core values are negotiable, I guess.
xxxIndyxxx: DRM-free is going in a year or two. Why, well that's Obvious.
I highly doubt it. Not because I believe the owners of GOG are not greedy, but because I believe they ARE! If they start delivering games with DRM they loose ALL their market appeal, people will start going to steam, amazon and whatnot where they can get DRM games cheaper, faster and with a bigger catalog.
high rated
mangamuscle: I am all for it as long as it makes it CHEAPER for us third world countries.
vicklemos: not trying to be selfish, but I'm happy to agree!
lotsa potential here and there, huh pal?
What about third world countries within EU? :)
high rated
Well the reaction seems to be darn near unanimous against this decision. Rarely has GOG made a decision that almost all of its customers were against. The choice to do something that almost all of its customers oppose, IMO, would be more indicative of a shift in GOG"s thinking than regional pricing in and of itself.
rtcvb32: I wonder if this is a blessing in disguise... Consider, if there is 1 game on a site that has regional pricing, and 100 games that aren't, then after say a month you do a side by side comparison and find adding regional pricing has limited it's buys to the region with the lowest equiv price, then maybe the regional pricing will be proven as a bad idea. Even better is afterwards regional pricing is dropped and the game sales increase dramatically!

Honestly I dislike regional pricing, I'd rather find someone who's willing to buy say 50 copies of a game, and then gift/trade them for the same value (plus fees for the trade), but seeing as GoG doesn't do buying in bulk that becomes a pain...

And if they merely do $1=€1 isn't bad, not ideal but not bad, it's maybe 20% higher?
hedwards: That's assuming that people don't just bend over for this. If they're able to get LA or MS with this, people here might just put up with it. Especially if it brings the LA back catalogue that's though to get these days.
Maybe but I for one will only buy games in a good deal (75% off or more) if they are really going the dollar=euro road....IF i am the only one they will not care but if a lot of people do it, well maybe they just killed themselves...
Well, while I'm not exactly happy about this news, I also have to say, it's not the end of the world.

May I remind some of you (especially my German fellows), that on releases with prices of $9,99 (~€7,30) (shit, even on releases for $5,99 (~€4,40)) a whole lot of you posted things like: "Looks interesting, but the price is a little too steep for me - will wait for a sale :)".

And now that GOG will bring us

-new AAA titles
-on their release day
-for release day prices (naturally!)

you are complaining that you have to pay what every other competitor of GOG will ask you for...in your own currency (shocking!)...but again,like every other competitor of GOG will do?

Completely ignoring the fact, that you don't have to pay that price?
Be it here or elsewhere?

Because you can (and will, like the above mentioned example for the $5,99 /$9,99 games shows) wait for a inevitable sale.

What do you German guys say? - you still feel screwed, because even in a sale, you (and me) have to pay more than the average US-citizen?

Well, that's life for you - no one ever pretended, it would be fair.

And all those snarky remarks about DRM being the next thing to come...

And if?

Pro-tip for you:

Download all your games as long as they are still DRM-free and whenever GOG decides to throw their last unique selling point over board - wave the boys in blue goodbye, turn your back and never return.

Where is your loss?

Edit:
And as I can see, the first German (of course, who else?) already stated, that he will go to buy on Steam, if there will ever be DRM here on GOG - because Steam is cheaper...so much to that.

It all boils down to the money - not the "great community", not the "great customer servive"...
low rated
Some of the things some spoilt GOGers say are just shameful. Everyone, hear about the newest first world "problem", Cheap old games being sold in the same online store as full priced new games!

You're like siblings who protest loudly when you sit in the front seat, not because they are jealous or want it for themselves, but because they want you to sit miserably next to them in the back seat.
"Slippery Slope Fallacy: the Thread"
low rated
All things considered, this seems like good news to me.

Especially if one of those games is Wasteland 2. :D
EckoShy: Especially if one of those games is Wasteland 2. :D
That was already agreed upon long ago to be here on release and should by all rights have nothing to do with regional pricing.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Maighstir
high rated
EckoShy: All things considered, this seems like good news to me.

Especially if one of those games is Wasteland 2. :D
Well that's easy enough for us to say, as we're Americans and it doesn't affect us at all.
Vestin: "Slippery Slope Fallacy: the Thread"
Except that you're ignoring the fact that GOG has been slipping for some time now and there's no sign that they're going to stop. Apart from the DRM-free core value, they've given up pretty much all the other ones.
BreOl72: snip
You do realize that you will actually pay more on GOG then because PayPal takes fees for currency conversion, do you? Buying on GG, Steam, GMG and others I don't have that and therefore it is not the same price.
BreOl72: Download all your games as long as they are still DRM-free and whenever GOG decides to throw their last unique selling point over board - wave the boys in blue goodbye, turn your back and never return.

Where is your loss?
Pretty much what I plan to do, it's just a store after all.