It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Russonc: Jack Keane 3??
Novotnus: $1 000 000, worldwide :)
Ouch! at least Jack Keane 2 will be the bonus (which I already have) :O
high rated
This is just sad :(

So... which point will be deleted next?

(sorry for the bad resolution of the top bar but from obvious reason I had to google it)

Shame!
Attachments:
sad.jpg (159 Kb)
What I remember from Witcher 2 was, you would make up for the difference by offering discounts on other gog titles.

Will this by the continuing case to make sure regional pricing doesn't end up unfair for some regions?
So I think that is the business model shift that was annouced few weeks ago.

I will take this very cautiously.
And I will look at games introducing that move, and wich companies use that business model.
It could make me unhappy, there is no way to buy any DRM'd game, so as far as GOG provides DRM free games, I will look at. But would I preorder those games embracing regional pricing? That's another story. But I haven't decided yet.

On another note, I believe that if a publisher really wants to have regional pricing, it would be easy for that publisher to ask GOG to remove games from its catalog, if those games are concerned. So I don't think GOG has the choice. I believe that some publishers are slowly threatening direct download stores to play the game they want to.

So wait & see.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Huinehtar
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: It really doesn't. The reverse is true, actually. There's many games that we've been told, "We'd love to sell it on GOG, but the regional pricing is an issue..." Now the ball's in their court, and I expect we'll see lots of good things coming from it.
This exact same argument could be applied to DRM.

How many publishers have told you "We'd love to sell it on GOG but the DRM-free is an issue..."?

When you've already shown you're willing to give up a core principle for the sake of adding stuff to your catalog, how do we know the exact same thing won't play out again?

Which game is going to be the one that GOG believes they can't afford to not have in the catalog, and are willing to "make an exception" to the DRM-free stance in order to meet the bottom line?
high rated
vicklemos: So many posts saying horrible stuff about regional pricing.
So tell me guys: what's so bad about it? Can someone please explain?

Thanks!
Complicated question. There's a psychological problem when you get in a store and see "this price for you - that price for the other guy". You feel that someone is discriminated. The reverse discrimination (someone being actually in a country with lower average standard) is more invisible, doesn't seem to directly affect you, you don't feel like it's the store's decision and responsability.

Then there is the wealth diversity within a country. When you're broke in a "rich" country, it's very annoying to see prices kept artificially high to match the richer people around you. It's like every one assumes you must be rich too, and punishes you twice for not being.

In Switzerland, we often see that issue - with lots of goods, mostly books (more expenside in Switzerland than in France). In practice, i means that many people just cross the border to go buy certain things. On GOG, it means that a lot of exchanges will be going on to circumvent this feeling of being "punished" for being in a given country.

I think the "being favoured for being in another country" aspect is harder to keep in mind (as some stated, it's more percieved as rising the price there than lowering it here), although it's the only thing he could hold onto to make it bearable.
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: We honestly don't know what's going to happen with our classic games (who knows what happens when lawyers get involved?) but we can say that it is in no way our intent to bump up these prices for different regions.
I'm sorry, but in my opinion you're sending exactly opposite message. Letting this happen for new games clearly indicates that it's no longer one of your principles. It gives publishers a very strong argument in case of renegotiating prices for classic games, you know it, and I seriously doubt you have anything to counter this. So please stop pretending otherwise and treat as with respect like you used to...
TheEnigmaticT: We honestly don't know what's going to happen with our classic games (who knows what happens when lawyers get involved?)
IAmSinistar: Apology for the very select quoting, and I hope I'm not reading too much into this out of context. But does this mean that lawyers are involved right now? Is GOG's whole business model under scrutiny and you are being pressured to implement these broad changes in an extended version of what happened during The Witcher 2?
My opinion is the regional pricing is due to a European Union action. It's not coincidence that in the last 2 weeks many digital distributors started adding VAT for european buyers.

It's not GOG's fault that europeans have to pay an aditional tax (VAT 16 - 26%, depending on country), it's our contries policies.
Yes, some sellers are abusing and instead of converting 39,99$ to 36 euro they sell for 39,99 euro (some kind of marketing strategy),

If the regional pricing is about the purchasing power then US, Australia and Europe should have the same prices (except for the eastern europe countries which economies are still strugling).

I might be wrong though.
TheEnigmaticT: We honestly don't know what's going to happen with our classic games (who knows what happens when lawyers get involved?) but we can say that it is in no way our intent to bump up these prices for different regions.
InkPanther: I'm sorry, but in my opinion you're sending exactly opposite message. Letting this happen for new games clearly indicates that it's no longer one of your principles. It gives publishers a very strong argument in case of renegotiating prices for classic games, you know it, and I seriously doubt you have anything to counter this. So please stop pretending otherwise and treat as with respect like you used to...
I think TeT is being very clear and respectful. GOG doesn't intend to have regional pricing for older games. That could change, and I think it probably will, but the current contracts are all region-free pricing. We're talking years out for many of the old games to need renegotiating.
gibbeynator: On one hand, another GOG policy bites the dust, and with limited DRM on the horizon, it's a matter of "when" and not "if" that last policy goes down. On the other hand, now you don't have wait an extra month for Daedalic's next game.
HGiles: Wait, limited DRM? This is the first time I've heard of that.
GOG did a survey around a year ago, asking people about putting limited DRM in games in an attempt to bring in some newer releases. We said no, and they said "we super duper pinkie promise to only sell DRM-filled games if they have some kind of offline mode". Not sure what happened afterwards, but it was surveyed alongside Early Access, and that's supposed to be coming sometime this year.
IAmSinistar: Apology for the very select quoting, and I hope I'm not reading too much into this out of context. But does this mean that lawyers are involved right now? Is GOG's whole business model under scrutiny and you are being pressured to implement these broad changes in an extended version of what happened during The Witcher 2?
GabiMoro: My opinion is the regional pricing is due to a European Union action. It's not coincidence that in the last 2 weeks many digital distributors started adding VAT for european buyers.

It's not GOG's fault that europeans have to pay an aditional tax (VAT 16 - 26%, depending on country), it's our contries policies.
Yes, some sellers are abusing and instead of converting 39,99$ to 36 euro they sell for 39,99 euro (some kind of marketing strategy),

If the regional pricing is about the purchasing power then US, Australia and Europe should have the same prices (except for the eastern europe countries which economies are still strugling).

I might be wrong though.
This could easily be the reason. International businesses have to deal with many different legal systems. That usually doesn't end up being a good deal for consumers.
high rated
How about this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos

This laughter is SO ironic right now...

I do appreciate your work, you are doing great things but sorry now I feel terribly disappointed.

EDIT: The video was already posted by DukeNukemForever (and perhaps others as well)
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/announcement_big_preorders_launch_day_releases_coming/post123
Sorry, I've missed it
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Ghorpm
Good people of GOG.com,

I'm keeping an open mind here, so I'll avoid passing any judgement before I understand exactly what you guys mean by regional pricing.

How is this going to work for Brazil and South America? Will we be getting US prices or specific prices for each country?
high rated
To be honest, I'd rather not have the game in the GOG catalog than have you tread down this slippery screw-the-customer-over slope, just as I can and do go without the game than have DRM.
high rated
Just because you write "good news" multiple times doesn't make bad news good. I don't know what the three games will be, but I do know that I definitely won't buy them now.
Last year Gog stopped selling complete games when it started to offer DLC, this year Gog stops fair pricing. I expect DRM titles to show up next year, despite current denials.