It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Pick a BOO!

Amnesia: The Dark Descent just got updated with a Hard Mode option for brave horror fans who hate sleep.

Hard Mode will:
- Disable autosaves and make manual saves cost 4 tinderboxes
- Kill you when your sanity drops to zero
- Reduce the amount of available oil and tinderboxes
- Make monsters faster, smarter, meaner
- No longer warn you with ominous music when the beasties are nearby

Hard Mode will not:
- Hide under your bed and reach for your toes while you sleep. Probably.

Good night and good luck.
I´m very curious to see the actual patchnotes and whether this patch contains any engine upgrades or not.
GOG.com: Pick a BOO!

Amnesia: The Dark Descent just got updated with a Hard Mode option for brave horror fans who hate sleep.

Hard Mode will:

Hard Mode will not:

In other words if you're a black/death metal fan; easy mode... I'm more of a hard rocker/metal/blues fan/musician myself!
Post edited September 28, 2018 by takezodunmer2005
Allegedly, Amnesia was unplayable on Windows 10 after a certain upgrade, was this fixed?
GOG.com: Pick a BOO!

Hard Mode will:

Hard Mode will not:

takezodunmer2005: In other words if you're a black/death metal fan; easy mode... I'm more of a hard rocker/metal/blues fan/musician myself!
I like all of those music genres, but I don't really see the point of this update. The gameplay was never the strong point of Amnesia: TDD; it was all about the atmosphere and story. In fact, most of the "gameplay mechanics", if they can be called such, were rather annoying and tedious. This new mode seems to further emphasize those game mechanics, so it's essentially a downgrade? Unless they also added new content, monsters etc.

I'm curious why they decided to pick Amnesia up again, after all those years. Some kind of anniversary?
CharlesGrey: I'm curious why they decided to pick Amnesia up again, after all those years. Some kind of anniversary?
Maybe has something to with Amnesia XBOX release...

https://frictionalgames.tumblr.com/post/178513451966/were-hyped-for-amnesia-collection-releasing-on
Love it! Also, looks like the offline installers were updated since I got a flag!! Thank you.
Mafwek: Allegedly, Amnesia was unplayable on Windows 10 after a certain upgrade, was this fixed?
It wasn't up to date with the Steam version prior to this. It was missing a file that was called SDL2 if i recall correctly. The GOG version would have the mouse cursor flick around randomly without you doing anything but that extra file on Steam seemed to fix it. A while ago i tried it again because i read that there was an update that might have fixed this. Either a Windows 10 update or an update to how SDL worked on Windows 10 i'm not exactly sure. Either way it wasn't an update by Frictional to the game to bring it up to date with the Steam version.

It seemed to have worked fine then, no thanks to Frictional. I just installed Amnesia again after this latest update and it seems like that SDL2 file that Steam had has now been added to the GOG version. So i assume the GOG version now matches the Steam version but i haven't downloaded the Steam version and compared the files side by side again. I also loaded up the GOG version quickly and the mouse was working fine. No random flicks causing the camera to shoot all over the place.

Though strangely it looks like the option to play the Justine content is missing?
Post edited September 29, 2018 by user deleted
Point_Man: Though strangely it looks like the option to play the Justine content is missing?
And nothing of value was lost.
Mafwek: Allegedly, Amnesia was unplayable on Windows 10 after a certain upgrade, was this fixed?
Point_Man: It wasn't up to date with the Steam version prior to this. It was missing a file that was called SDL2 if i recall correctly. The GOG version would have the mouse cursor flick around randomly without you doing anything but that extra file on Steam seemed to fix it. A while ago i tried it again because i read that there was an update that might have fixed this. Either a Windows 10 update or an update to how SDL worked on Windows 10 i'm not exactly sure. Either way it wasn't an update by Frictional to the game to bring it up to date with the Steam version.

It seemed to have worked fine then, no thanks to Frictional. I just installed Amnesia again after this latest update and it seems like that SDL2 file that Steam had has now been added to the GOG version. So i assume the GOG version now matches the Steam version but i haven't downloaded the Steam version and compared the files side by side again. I also loaded up the GOG version quickly and the mouse was working fine. No random flicks causing the camera to shoot all over the place.

Though strangely it looks like the option to play the Justine content is missing?
Tnx for the info, Point_Man!
Gave it a shot. Hard mode sucks, here's why:
GOG.com: Hard Mode will:
There are numerous instances in the game where a scripted event will pretty much completely drain your sanity. Unless you have all of these spots perfectly memorized from previous playthroughs (and prepare yourself accordingly) this mode is pretty much impossible to beat.

I was looking forward to a more challenging mode and the increased difficulty made it more exciting at first. But I'm now at a point where I have to replay large, uneventful chunks of game because my character decided to drop dead because some hallway wasn't lit well enough.
Point_Man: It wasn't up to date with the Steam version prior to this. It was missing a file that was called SDL2 if i recall correctly. The GOG version would have the mouse cursor flick around randomly without you doing anything but that extra file on Steam seemed to fix it. A while ago i tried it again because i read that there was an update that might have fixed this. Either a Windows 10 update or an update to how SDL worked on Windows 10 i'm not exactly sure. Either way it wasn't an update by Frictional to the game to bring it up to date with the Steam version.

so if i get it correctly...

if you didnt secure and keep your previous version's installer and only have this new installer, you will loose access to Justine content
yet if you install this new version, it provides one strange file updated that fixes a bug/glitch that was only found on gog build and not on steam version ? (maybe need to check humble build as well ?)

what is this kind of update ? fixes a bug, loose game content in the process ? Am i the only one who thinks it is nonsense ?
Djaron: if you didnt secure and keep your previous version's installer and only have this new installer, you will loose access to Justine content
yet if you install this new version, it provides one strange file updated that fixes a bug/glitch that was only found on gog build and not on steam version ? (maybe need to check humble build as well ?)

what is this kind of update ? fixes a bug, loose game content in the process ? Am i the only one who thinks it is nonsense ?
I haven't personally checked it, so I don't know for sure.
However, if that is true, then I agree.
But also, if it is true, I would expect it to be fixed soon.
That's what I would expect. Whether they actually do it or not is another thing.
Has Frictional been an honorable dev in the past?
Removing content would be a break of contract. Would be the same as removing a game from your library after buying it. I bought it when the content was included.
Don't know about any of that. I've bought and had been playing Amnesia on Steam since July and no issues. I am on Windows 10.

Edit: Sorry, didn't know this was an issue exclusive to the GOG version.
Post edited September 30, 2018 by Executer47