It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I wonder why they couldn't make this a gog.com/connect title for a limited time
Damn, that sucks.

I mean, I fortunately already have both games on Steam but I still hate when this happens. Missed on (probably forever) Mafia 1 because of expiring music license back in 2014 as well.

No more Poets of the Fall/Old Gods of Asgard music, I guess.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by The_Vityaz
CharlesGrey: Wouldn't be the same without its current soundtrack.
TheMonkofDestiny: Could not agree more. Hearing replacement music (or worse - nothing at all) instead of Roy Orbison's "In Dreams" or Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' "Up Jumped The Devil" would just be a hollow experience.
I think video games are quite possibly the most interesting form of modern art, due to their unique aspect of user interaction. So it's sad to see how they're being treated as disposable commercial products, and no one, including their developers or rights holders, seems to feel responsible about their preservation. I know so called "abandon-ware" sites are a legal grey zone, or plain illegal, but at least they're doing their part to make sure that people can still enjoy older games, especially in cases where the current rights holders can't be bothered to sell the game anywhere. It's frustrating to think that games such as this one could permanently disappear from official distribution platforms, just due to some expired contracts, even if the software still works perfectly well on new computers.
Wvel: Strange, Alan Wake seems to be missing from my library at the moment. Only American Nightmare is there. Does anyone else have this problem?
Gersen: Nope, both are there on mine.
Thanks for checking! Turns out I had set the game to hidden along with all others I have completed. (It's been a while..)

Will existing owners continue to have access to the game after the delisting? The game is great and I imagine that I will replay the title sometime down the road.
Wvel: Will existing owners continue to have access to the game after the delisting? The game is great and I imagine that I will replay the title sometime down the road.
Up until now every single game that was removed from Gog remained available in you library if you bought it.

I doubt it will be any different for this one.
MrFortyFive: Steam is going to have a 90% off sale starting 5/13. I've asked to see if GOG will be included as well. If any blues know something about this, that would be great too.
Basically it boils down to this. If GOG have a 90% off special then I will get it from them, otherwise I will get it from Steam. I am not going to pay $30 when I can pay $3. I would prefer to get it from GOG which is where I am getting most of my games now days but I am not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.
Not sure I would like it; but at 90% I'd try it.
high rated
From the RPS article:
Update: GOG got in touch to tell us that yup, they’ll discount Alan Wake this weekend too. If you want a DRM-free version, voila!
Post edited May 12, 2017 by noisegardener
noisegardener: From the RPS article:

Update: GOG got in touch to tell us that yup, they’ll discount Alan Wake this weekend too. If you want a DRM-free version, voila!
noisegardener:
Nice to hear that the game will be discounted before being removed. For those who don't own the game DRM-free yet, this is very good news.
Gersen: Nope, both are there on mine.
Wvel: Thanks for checking! Turns out I had set the game to hidden along with all others I have completed. (It's been a while..)

Will existing owners continue to have access to the game after the delisting? The game is great and I imagine that I will replay the title sometime down the road.
They normally don't remove any bought content from user libraries. That said, if you can, it's better to keep a local back-up of your purchased games, just in case.
if you already own the Alan Wake games,they will stay in your GOG library.
If this really is over a music licencing issue. seems to me it would be easy to simply remove the music in question from the game...unless it has a major impact on game play.
BTW, one reason why it took so long for "WKRP In Cincanatti" to be released on DVD was the issues with Music licencing. (which is about a radio station in Cincanitti in the 1970's and a lot of popular songe of the period were played during the show) . The show's licence to use the music had long since expired;and the owners of the rights to some of the the songs were demanding such high prices to relicence that it brought making a profit on the DVD's into question. Eventually they replaced the music with other songs for the final DVD release.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by dudalb
pimpmonkey2382.313: I haven't played either of these games, are they any good?
Pretty solid. Definitely not masterpieces but still quite enjoyable. They are rather linear action games with a few puzzles and clever tricks to save your resources. A few levels were truly great (the one where you are unarmed and the lighthouse level in the original Alan Wake), most of them a bit generic but nothing really frustrating. With a nice sale I would say it's a good idea to pick them up.
dudalb: If this really is over a music licencing issue. seems to me it would be easy to simply remove the music in question from the game...unless it has a major impact on game play.
Poets of the Fall plays a major story element, and even if that could be kept the game would still be ruined.
Too bad, it's my absolute favorite game from the Xbox 360. You never know, Mafia 2 made a comeback eventually with a renewed music license...maybe Alan Wake will. But on the other hand Mafia 2 had 2K there to spend the $, I think Alan Wake is self published by Remedy (outside of Xbox).
Post edited May 13, 2017 by CMOT70
dudalb: if you already own the Alan Wake games,they will stay in your GOG library.
If this really is over a music licencing issue. seems to me it would be easy to simply remove the music in question from the game...unless it has a major impact on game play.
That would be shitty, regardless of its impact on gameplay. Why would I be wiling to accept less content than I already had, just so the developer can keep selling the game? Doubly so if they actually pulled that content from existing users' copies, a la GTA: San Andreas.