It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Barefoot_Monkey: Hey adalia. I'm trying something with Barefoot Essentials and was wondering if you might like to consider going along with this plan as well.

The account menu is rather big as it is, so I figured that now that we have plenty of menus to choose between, putting the link to BE's configuration popup in the About menu would make more sense. It's a more intuitive place (aside from us being used to it in Account our scripts have little to do with actual user accounts themselves), it has plenty of room compared to the busy Account menu, and - unlike Account - the About menu is available when you aren't logged in.
adaliabooks: Yeah, sounds good to me. I'm happy to move the options link in there. I might not get a chance till Tuesday or so (though it shouldn't be a huge job so I may be able to sneak it in).
Just my opinion to the both of you, but it would probably be more appropriate in the community section rather than about. But it's up to you two ultimately. Just wanted to share my two cents worth.
Barefoot_Monkey: Hey adalia. I'm trying something with Barefoot Essentials and was wondering if you might like to consider going along with this plan as well.

The account menu is rather big as it is, so I figured that now that we have plenty of menus to choose between, putting the link to BE's configuration popup in the About menu would make more sense. It's a more intuitive place (aside from us being used to it in Account our scripts have little to do with actual user accounts themselves), it has plenty of room compared to the busy Account menu, and - unlike Account - the About menu is available when you aren't logged in.
paladin181:
adaliabooks: Yeah, sounds good to me. I'm happy to move the options link in there. I might not get a chance till Tuesday or so (though it shouldn't be a huge job so I may be able to sneak it in).
paladin181: Just my opinion to the both of you, but it would probably be more appropriate in the community section rather than about. But it's up to you two ultimately. Just wanted to share my two cents worth.
I don't use either one (as of yet), so I don't know whether they offer something other than forum options. If BE and AF offer options for the website and not just the forums, then I think it would make sense to put them under the "gog/com" logo (if it were a menu…). If they offer only forum options, then in the community menu makes more (intuitive) sense to me. The "About" menu may be mostly empty, but as UI decision that seems like a poor reason to fill it.

Come to think of it… Why is there an "About" menu at all? Seems to me those "About" menu items ("GOG Galaxy", "Join the team") should be within a menu from the "gog/com" logo. Too bad GOG didn't make that a menu… Could have saved some horizontal space, too.
Post edited May 07, 2017 by thomq
paladin181: Just my opinion to the both of you, but it would probably be more appropriate in the community section rather than about. But it's up to you two ultimately. Just wanted to share my two cents worth.
thomq: I don't use either one (as of yet), so I don't know whether they offer something other than forum options. If BE and AF offer options for the website and not just the forums, then I think it would make sense to put them under the "gog/com" logo (if it were a menu…). If they offer only forum options, then in the community menu makes more (intuitive) sense to me. The "About" menu may be mostly empty, but as UI decision that seems like a poor reason to fill it.

Come to think of it… Why is there an "About" menu at all? Seems to me those "About" menu items ("GOG Galaxy", "Join the team") should be within a menu from the "gog/com" logo. Too bad GOG didn't make that a menu… Could have saved some horizontal space, too.
I agree here. The "about" menu in programs generally only offers options to show who the author of the program is and which version you are using as well as offering a "help" option. But since GOG already used the "about" option for a different purpose (we all know that they are not that great in UI design) its not completely wrong to put BE and AF here as well. But here is an idea: maybe (if possible) "about" could be renamed to "general" - wouldn't that make more sense?
Post edited May 07, 2017 by MarkoH01
thomq: I don't use either one (as of yet), so I don't know whether they offer something other than forum options. If BE and AF offer options for the website and not just the forums, then I think it would make sense to put them under the "gog/com" logo (if it were a menu…). If they offer only forum options, then in the community menu makes more (intuitive) sense to me. The "About" menu may be mostly empty, but as UI decision that seems like a poor reason to fill it.

MarkoH01: I agree here. The "about" menu in programs generally only offers options to show who the author of the program is and which version you are using as well as offering a "help" option. But since GOG already used the "about" option for a different purpose (we all know that they are not that great in UI design) its not completely wrong to put BE and AF here as well. But here is an idea: maybe (if possible) "about" could be renamed to "general" - wouldn't that make more sense?
I think you're on to something. If it can be renamed, then what about simply using the GOG logo from the first menubar item?

Then suppress (hide or remove) that first menubar item (the one that is just the logo) and swap position of the formerly named "About" menu to be the first menubar item instead. In that way, a menubar item that is already a menu can be used (no need to create), and it would already contain the menu items from the "About" menu because it is that menu, but moved. By having the GOG logo inserted in that menu and moved to be in the same place the menubar will retain its look.

Oh, and of course put BE and AF in that menu.
high rated
thomq: I don't use either one (as of yet), so I don't know whether they offer something other than forum options. [...]
They both add features and functionality to various sections of the site, not just forum options.

And given the nature of the added features and functionality, and how responsive and quick both Barefoot_Monkey and adaliabooks are to look into and fix people's issues, maybe the proper drop-down menu to place the AF and BE menu items is the "Support" one. ;-)

But since GOG put GOG Galaxy in the "About" menu, and with everything else that BE added there, it's quite fitting to also move the AF and BE menu items there.

@adaliabooks - could you put in your TO DO list to see if it's possible to have the colour code for owned and wishlisted items show in the submenus of the "Store" menu? It's, of course, a low priority thing, but would be nice to have at some point, if possible.
high rated
HypersomniacLive: @adaliabooks - could you put in your TO DO list to see if it's possible to have the colour code for owned and wishlisted items show in the submenus of the "Store" menu? It's, of course, a low priority thing, but would be nice to have at some point, if possible.
Yeah, no problem. That should be fairly easy to do I would think.
high rated
adaliabooks: Yeah, no problem. That should be fairly easy to do I would think.
Is the Princess in agreement?
high rated
adaliabooks: Yeah, no problem. That should be fairly easy to do I would think.
HypersomniacLive: Is the Princess in agreement?
She's still stuck in the castle, she has no say in the matter ;)

Anyway, I said I'd add it to the to do list.. I didn't say I'd do it any time soon... XD
Say, Adaliabooks.

Would it be thinkable to add, in the next version, an icon to the library games (shop and account) warning us if they belong to the list of installers with pre-bundled Galaxy bloatware ?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CuRw1E44ZSEgY-pjuimEjBHZPgBEa-mUVmmAkgyIkmU/edit

I would like to easily avoid buying or updating these on Gog, and I suspect I'm not the only one.
Post edited May 10, 2017 by Telika
high rated
Telika: Say, Adaliabooks.

Would it be thinkable to add, in the next version, an icon to the library games (shop and account) warning us if they belong to the list of installers with pre-bundled Galaxy bloatware ?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CuRw1E44ZSEgY-pjuimEjBHZPgBEa-mUVmmAkgyIkmU/edit

I would like to easily avoid buying or updating these on Gog, and I suspect I'm not the only one.
I think I might have to say no to this one... it should be possible, but it would require creating another system to manage the list (which will presumably grow) and I don't really have the time (or bandwidth) to add more such features.
Telika: Say, Adaliabooks.

Have you noticed this post (503) offering a GOGmix so it shows up on the game pages themselves? It just popped up a few minutes ago.
Post edited May 10, 2017 by thomq
high rated
adaliabooks: I think I might have to say no to this one... it should be possible, but it would require creating another system to manage the list (which will presumably grow) .....
Oh no, you just said what I did not want to hear at all :(
high rated
adaliabooks: I think I might have to say no to this one... it should be possible, but it would require creating another system to manage the list (which will presumably grow) .....
MarkoH01: Oh no, you just said what I did not want to hear at all :(
Well unless they drop the idea entirely because of the backlash (unlikely) then it's inevitable more games will have this integration. Particularly new games with Galaxy features.

I'm not bothered myself, I don't use Galaxy much but I have it installed. It's actually pretty good, far more usable than Steam. Even if it became mandatory (which is never actually going to happen despite the doomsayers) I'd still prefer it as long as you can disable updating.
high rated
MarkoH01: Oh no, you just said what I did not want to hear at all :(
adaliabooks: Well unless they drop the idea entirely because of the backlash (unlikely) then it's inevitable more games will have this integration. Particularly new games with Galaxy features.

I'm not bothered myself, I don't use Galaxy much but I have it installed. It's actually pretty good, far more usable than Steam. Even if it became mandatory (which is never actually going to happen despite the doomsayers) I'd still prefer it as long as you can disable updating.
I know - it's just reading it from a person who mostly is correct in foreshadowing just makes this harder fo me.
I have absolutely no problem with Galaxy I use it myself for some achievements I do however have a problem in getting software integrated in my offline installer I never wanted to download in the first place. But there is really no need to dive deeper into this because several threads are doing just that at the moment and I'd hate to hijack your thread. So forget I even mentioned it.
high rated
MarkoH01: I know - it's just reading it from a person who mostly is correct in foreshadowing just makes this harder fo me.
I have absolutely no problem with Galaxy I use it myself for some achievements I do however have a problem in getting software integrated in my offline installer I never wanted to download in the first place. But there is really no need to dive deeper into this because several threads are doing just that at the moment and I'd hate to hijack your thread. So forget I even mentioned it.
Yeah, I get that, and it's certainly not a step I would have taken. But if fables is correct in the other thread and it will remember your setting once you've said no once then I don't really see a huge issue as it won't even effect most people.

If they were putting someone else's software into the installers I'd be gone in a shot as I do hate anything that tries to push toolbars and such on me, but Galaxy isn't exactly in the same league as that.