It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

As we all find some time to relax after a year of hot releases and big sales, we thought it would be fun to look back and give you a short recap of GOG.COM's Winter Sale and listen to your opinions on the event.

Our annual Winter Sale ran for 23 days this time (from December 11th, 2019 to January 2nd, 2020) with almost 3,000 deals for games, including completion bundles and special game collections. One title, Lost Sea, had the highest discount amount them - coming in at 95% off!

If you followed the entire Winter Sale, you were also able to claim four free games (Wasteland 2, POSTAL 2, POSTAL: Classic and Uncut, and Tower of Time), and eight more games through GOG Connect if you already owned them on Steam. These offers were super popular and we're always very happy when we can give you such gifts.

Behind the scenes of the Winter Sale
While our Winter Sale has a lot happening on the front end, what is not usually visible is all the work that goes into making it happen, not only weeks before the sale (like discount approvals and designing the takeover images) but also during the event. We were constantly evaluating the performance of the sale, updating the front page based on hard data and our gut feeling, while listening to your feedback, for example, to help you discover the best deals.

A new option to hide DLCs in the catalog was also introduced during the sale (which we're still testing and improving) and should help you in the future when searching for games on sale. We also gathered and shared our recommendations and suggestions with you through a series of promo pages with the best deals, top-rated games, and more. It shouldn't be a surprise that the Good Old Games themed selection was the most popular one!

Another new element of this sale was the featured newsletters that included special limited-time offers. We've been testing this format for some time now and we can see that a lot of you enjoy it, especially the fact that these newsletters allow us to offer you higher discounts than usual. It's worth it to subscribe as there are plenty more cool offers to come!

The Winter Sale is also a very busy time for our Support team (pictured above!). The number of support tickets in December grew by 70% in comparison to the previous month and by 40% in comparison to December 2018. We usually send the first response to your tickets within 24 hours but that time grew to approx. 37 hours in December 2019 while our whole Support team kept working basically around the clock. This is why we want to thank you for your patience as we're currently clearing our backlog trying to resolve every ticket.

Finally, let us share a few technical facts regarding the Winter Sale. Our IT and Web teams kept a close eye on the website performance to make sure that the front page is loaded faster than it did during the prior year, even though we put even more games on display. To make sure of that, we doubled the number of servers during the Winter Sale. December 30th turned out to be the busiest day with six times more traffic than usual. At the same time, our daily data transfer for game downloads was 2.5 times higher. You played a lot of games during the holidays!

Oh, and between all that, we somehow managed to squeeze in our annual Christmas party and make a special Blade Runner cosplay photoshoot in our office :)

What a year it was!
Overall, we want to thank YOU for participating in our Winter Sale. Next to the Summer Sale, it's the biggest event of the year for us and we already can say that our recent sale was by far the biggest Winter Sale in the history of GOG.COM Store. A perfect conclusion to a year full of exciting game releases and events!

What are your impressions regarding GOG.COM's Winter Sale? Which games did you buy? Would like to read more look back articles like this one? Let us know in the comments below!
high rated
I ended up buying almost 40 games, so I'd say it went pretty well.

Craziest thing is, I've actually been playing some of them, too.
high rated
Freebies and Connect games are always welcome, and such a huge release like Blade Runner in the middle of it was a great surprise. All that kept me checking in regularly to see what was going on.

I like this look back article too, or any sort of "behind the scenes" look. Keep those coming!

Thanks, GOG!
high rated
For me the high point of the Winter Sales was the launching of Grimoire :HTWE.
I know that's a highly-controversial game (more because of the drama surrounding the dev, than the game itself) but it's a sign that GOG has decided to reconsider somehow its (also controversial) Curation system. And that's a big Plus for me.

And the launch of old classics like Blade Runner and Inferno and Legacy and AAA games like Greedfall were also very great.

Please continue on the good path, GOG. And may 2020 be the year of the successful launch of CP2077.
Post edited January 15, 2020 by karnak1
Look back stuff is good but "behind the scenes" stuff is even better.

Interesting data, things you had to do to cope with some difficulties, etc. That makes, at least to me, for the most interesting reading.
low rated
I just hope they bring more rejected games here, That's the only way they'll get me to spend more money here. seeing as the amount I spend during the Winter sale I should say it would be pretty profitable for them to do so.

They made an option to hide DLC, Would rather have one that lets me blacklist certain developers so I don't accidentally buy their games and support the wrong devs.
Post edited January 15, 2020 by dgnfly
The Grimoire/Blade Runner one-two punch was definitely the highlight. Instabought both of them. Bought a small handful of other games too, but more as a reward for gog for listening to feedback (For instance, I already had DreadOut on Steam and Playism, but what the hey, I asked for it to be released here at some point - might as well get it. Here's to hoping Keepers of the Dark will soon be released here as well!)

Getting Dusk as a freebie was awesome as well. And I'm happy for everyone who gets to experience the splendid Postal series for the first time thanks to your giveaway!

Overall, excellent sale and a great way to end the year!
high rated
One request for any sales.
When I own a copy of a game and all its DLCs, please stop showing the "game of the year" edition of it which is the game and all its DLCs. It's quite annoying.

It would also be nice to have an option to "hide" games we know we never want to see again in list of games suggested to us, but one thing at a time.

I am glad the sale went well, there were some great offers and you guys did a good job.
I always look forward to the Winter Sales each year, it's become a Christmas tradition to buy at least one or two new games and play them.

For me this year, it's Slipstream 5000 and Wing Commander 4. I've gotten into the Wing Commander series last year, and I've been meaning to check out Slipstream 5000 for some time. Love playing the classics I haven't played being a Mac kid back in the 90's.

I didn't know there was even an option to hide DLC. My personal favorite part of these sales is just how nice the storefront itself looks. Still remember when GOG use to make wallpaper inspired by the sale themes too.
there were a lot of good games , but even for them-my iron is weak
The website certainly worked a lot better than during many earlier big sales with just a few short-timed overloads (hello GOG bear).
I bought Cook Serve Delicious 2, Spellcasting 1+2+3, Phantom Doctrine, and Thronebreaker
fronzelneekburm: Getting Dusk as a freebie was awesome as well.
What?

The Winter Sale was great. Thank you for that. But for me personally, the Black Friday Sale was even better. So many spectacular discounts on games I wanted.
I ignored a lot of it because (A) Still no "sort by discount" and (B) I hate time-limited "flash sales" -- I have a life, I can't monitor my email/website to jump on a sale that's only available for a millisecond.

I'm glad to see you adding DLC filtering -- but you really need to restructure your catalog entirely to fix collected editions/Kickstarter editions/etc not as showing owned for the sub parts (and vice versa -- I own all the sub parts of collected, show me as owned for the collected!)

I unsubscribed from the email newsletters a while ago when you started including emoji in the subjects. Has that been fixed so I can re-subscribe? (Because emoji in the subject absolutely is spam.)
high rated
i like this behind the scenes peek at life of gog, it reminds us that you are humans, not some mega corporation evil entities. I do appreciate all the work that goes into seasonal sales events, like the art and look of it which this time was stellar. I have noticed improvements to user conveniences of the market page and liked them.

thanks for being my favorite site to shop and have a great year to come