It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Astros lead the Yankees 2 to 0 in the bottom of the 5th inning..... looking more and more like the home team will hold serve in all 7 games of this series.

4-0 into the bottom of the 6th now.... Yankees only have 3 more at-bats left... 7th, 8th, and 9th innings.... looking more and more now like it's going to be the BenKii Astros vs the zeogold Dodgers in the World Series and a shot to win the $50 in games from GoG.

AND IT'S OVER. THE ASTROS ARE THE AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONS AND WILL FACE THE NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPION DODGERS IN THE 2017 WORLD SERIES.
Post edited October 22, 2017 by OldFatGuy
And we have our two finalists that will compete in the 2017 GoG World Series as the BenKii Astros defeated the drmike Yankees tonight 4-0 to win the American League Championship. They will take on the National League Champion zeogold Dodgers in the best 4 out of 7 series for the prize of $50 of GoG games. Good luck to both BenKii and zeogold.

The World Series begins Tuesday, Oct 24 in Los Angeles. Game 1, 2, and 6 and 7 (if necessary) will be played in Los Angeles while games 3, 4, and 5 (If necessary) will be played in Houston.
Post edited October 26, 2017 by OldFatGuy
Even if neither of my picks counted on a technicality, I called the two finalists.
For those of you who don't normally follow baseball, time for some perspective!

At the beginning of the season, the odds of the Houston Astros making it to the World Series were roughly the same as your odds of winning the Lottery and getting hit by lightening on the SAME DAY! :P

And on a side note.
The Houston Astros are the only team in MLB history to represent both leagues in the World Series.
Post edited October 22, 2017 by tinyE
OldFatGuy: AND IT'S OVER. THE ASTROS ARE THE AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONS AND WILL FACE THE NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPION DODGERS IN THE 2017 WORLD SERIES.
Yay! I knew the Astros could do it. Now let's see if they can take on the Dodgers. Best of luck to zeogold. May the best team win.
OldFatGuy: AND IT'S OVER. THE ASTROS ARE THE AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONS AND WILL FACE THE NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPION DODGERS IN THE 2017 WORLD SERIES.
BenKii: Yay! I knew the Astros could do it. Now let's see if they can take on the Dodgers. Best of luck to zeogold. May the best team win.
FYI zeo doesn't know shit about baseball. :P

When this thread started he PMd me and said he was taking his home town Giants. When I informed him they had the worst record in the game and had already been eliminated from the playoffs, he asked me for help. I told him go Dodger Blue. :D
BenKii: Yay! I knew the Astros could do it. Now let's see if they can take on the Dodgers. Best of luck to zeogold. May the best team win.
tinyE: FYI zeo doesn't know shit about baseball. :P

When this thread started he PMd me and said he was taking his home town Giants. When I informed him they had the worst record in the game and had already been eliminated from the playoffs, he asked me for help. I told him go Dodger Blue. :D
That makes 2 of us cause I don't know much about baseball either. I picked the Houston Astros because the name sounded cool and thought it would be nice if the city hit by Hurricane Harvey were to win. I do plan to watch the World Series and try to understand it and get into the game.
Okay, now that we're down to the two finalists (zeogold and BenKii) I want to make an announcement about the "mix-up" at the beginning of this contest. Because I wrote the rules poorly (or more accurately, didn't think through the possibilities) a player was left out and it was due to something that I should have easily foreseen. In other words, it was ALL MY FAULT.

And it's been bothering me ever since, and pretty much ever since I've been thinking on what to do about it. And a few days ago I finally decided, but wanted to wait and see who made the finals before announcing because it would affect how I made the announcement (you'll understand why later).

Now as far as I'm concerned, the rule where when more than one player chose the same team it went to the one who's post shows up first is a GOOD RULE. There is nothing wrong with that rule, as it is possible and likely that some would want the same team and it should go to the one who gets it first. The problem comes in with the rule where I stated you could only make ONE choice. When I was writing it, I was thinking more of making it obvious that just because you were first you couldn't come in here and choose all of the teams and win and that you could look in the thread and see which teams were left and save some double posting. But I didn't consider the possibility of two people posting at the same time, in which one post would (obviously) have to appear before the other.

When that happened, it left bler144 in a position of losing out on the Dodgers (because zeogold's post appeared first) AND losing out on any other choices because of the one post limit. It is the latter that is IMO the problem.

Now before I make this announcement, I want to make clear that it will be the last change I make. I'm not going to get into any sort of discussion/argument about others who may have done this or that or try and do this or that after reading this announcement. The two finalists are and will REMAIN: zeogold and BenKii.

So, because I feel bler144's first guess of the LA Dodgers didn't count and that was a fine rule, and because his second guess of the Houston Astros didn't count and that was the rule that was messed up, what I'm going to do is for my purposes only consider this contest to have THREE FINALISTS. The LA Dodgers will represent zeogold and the Houston Astros will represent BenKii and bler144. I was prepared to double the give away in the event the Nationals won the whole thing so I am most certainly prepared to double it and give $50 to both on an unfair rule that was MY FAULT in the event the Houston Astros win it.

So, good luck to all three of you. I wish you all the best. And to everyone, I am truly sorry about how this contest went off. If I do another, I promise i will try and do better.

Thank you.
Joe
OldFatGuy
Post edited October 24, 2017 by OldFatGuy
tinyE: FYI zeo doesn't know shit about baseball. :P
To be fair, I know enough about how the game plays and all that, I just don't know anything about the teams and statistics or anything like that.
OldFatGuy: So, because I feel bler144's first guess of the LA Dodgers didn't count and that was a fine rule, and because his second guess of the Houston Astros didn't count and that was the rule that was messed up, what I'm going to do is for my purposes only consider this contest to have THREE FINALISTS. The LA Dodgers will represent zeogold and the Houston Astros will represent BenKii and bler144. I was prepared to double the give away in the event the Nationals won the whole thing so I am most certainly prepared to double it and give $50 to both on an unfair rule that was MY FAULT in the event the Houston Astros win it.
Dang, that's crazy generous and kind of you.
Good luck to BenKii and Bler!
Post edited October 24, 2017 by zeogold
OldFatGuy: So, good luck to all three of you. I wish you all the best. And to everyone, I am truly sorry about how this contest went off. If I do another, I promise i will try and do better.

Thank you.
Joe
OldFatGuy
Could it be you're only doing this because the Astros' barely have a snowballs chance in hell of pulling this off? :P

Nothing against them, and yes they could win it, they're have been far bigger upsets before, but the 2017 LA Dodgers will probably go down as one of the best teams ever.
OldFatGuy: So, good luck to all three of you. I wish you all the best. And to everyone, I am truly sorry about how this contest went off. If I do another, I promise i will try and do better.

Thank you.
Joe
OldFatGuy
tinyE: Could it be you're only doing this because the Astros' barely have a snowballs chance in hell of pulling this off? :P

Nothing against them, and yes they could win it, they're have been far bigger upsets before, but the 2017 LA Dodgers will probably go down as one of the best teams ever.
I really do think they have a chance. I think tomorrow night actually favors them with Verlander on the mound. If they can hold serve with Verlander's two starts that should offset Kershaw's two starts and then it's a best two of the three of the others and anything could happen. I do think the Dodgers should be the favorite and if I had to pick one to bet on I'd bet on the Dodgers, but I wouldn't be too shocked if Houston won it. Especially since the PTB want them to. lol

I sort of agree with the thing about one of the best teams ever.... I mean from about June to August they played baseball like I've never, EVER, seen before. But then that thing that happened from late August to mid-September makes me wonder... I mean they didn't just lose... they fucking LOST EVERY DAY for over a week. something like 12 out of 14 IIRC. It was horrible. I think at one point it was 9 in a row. But ever since they "seem" to be back... and if they win this series in say a sweep or 4-1, then I agree, they probably will go down as one of the best.
Sorry for not posting for a couple of days.... bad health days couldn't be helped... but the Dodgers and Astros are off today as they travel from LA to Houston for the series to resume tomorrow night. The Series is tied at 1 game apiece after last night's epic marathon back and forth affair finally ended with the Astros holding a 7-6 advantage. This game will go down as one of the classics of all time World Series games as the Dodgers were close to winning... then the Astros were close, then the Dodgers tied... then the Astros took a two run lead.. then the Dodgers fought back again.... I fell asleep sure the Dodgers had won, only to awake this morning and discover nope, the Astros had tied the series.
Post edited October 28, 2017 by OldFatGuy
Yankees fired Joe Girardi after ten seasons

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2737758-joe-girardi-yankees-reportedly-part-ways-after-10-seasons
Post edited October 26, 2017 by drmike
The BenKii/Bler144 Astros took a two games to one lead in the World Series by defeating the zeogold Dodgers in Houston last night 5-3. The Astros have not lost at home in this post-season (7 games at home... 7 wins) and if that continues they will become World Series champions as the next two games tonight and tomorrow night are in Houston. The Dodgers have to win at least one to force the series to move back to LA.
Post edited October 29, 2017 by OldFatGuy
Does anybody like the 2-3-2 format in playoffs?

Personally, I hate it. I like the 2-2-1-1-1 format far more. I think it is more fair to teams and better for fans.