It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
If your mouse is horribly laggy.

I know there is another fix using Microsoft Application Compatibility center. But I find this fix is a little easier.

Download this and place the config file and dll in your geneforge folder with geneforge.exe

Set ForceDirectDrawEmulation to 1 in the config file and save it.

Make sure WIndows doesn't have slideshow wallpaper on, this causes the game to flash whenever the wallpaper changes.

This fix should work exactly the same as the MACC one, but I find it a lot quicker and easier.
Post edited December 02, 2016 by Rhiyo
Hello,
I had read somewhere that you could also repair in the same way Avernum 4, I tested thoses files and I no longer have the problem of lag mouse in my inventory, Thank you. :)
Thank you very much, fixed it. I had another problem: clicking on the floppy symbol to call up the main menu to save froze the game for about 6 seconds before opening it after all.

This was also fixed. Thanks so much!
Rhiyo: If your mouse is horribly laggy.

I know there is another fix using Microsoft Application Compatibility center. But I find this fix is a little easier.

Download this and place the config file and dll in your geneforge folder with geneforge.exe

Set ForceDirectDrawEmulation to one in the config file and save it.

Make WIndows doesn't have slideshow wallpaper on, this causes the game to flash whenever the wallpaper changes.

This fix should work exactly the same as the MACC one, but I find it a lot quicker and easier.
Tried going to the link but Bitdefender blocked the site. Tried going to the site itself (apart from the link) and Bitdefender still blocks the site. Is there any other way to get this file, or at least give the name of the file so I can search for it?

Thank you.
Faithful: Tried going to the link but Bitdefender blocked the site. Tried going to the site itself (apart from the link) and Bitdefender still blocks the site. Is there any other way to get this file, or at least give the name of the file so I can search for it?

Thank you.
Not sure why Bitdefender is having a hissy fit as the site doesn't seem to have any problems. Anyway, the actual file is called ddwrapper.zip and contains the files; ddraw.dll, aqrit.cfg, ddwrapper_readme.html and src.7z - hope that helps.

EDIT: added some more info.
Post edited October 19, 2016 by Pajama
Thank you so much.
Rhiyo: If your mouse is horribly laggy.

Set ForceDirectDrawEmulation to one in the config file and save it.

Make WIndows doesn't have slideshow wallpaper on, this causes the game to flash whenever the wallpaper changes.

wow awesome! This works great. thanks!
Awesome. This works great :-)
Hi,

I need some help I have downloaded the files again and im stuck in:

"Set ForceDirectDrawEmulation to 1 in the config file and save it."

Which file to open and what should I do exactly?, I'm on Windows 10, 64 bits.
Post edited February 09, 2018 by thedkm
thedkm: Hi,

You need to put both ddraw.dll and aqrit.cfg into the main Geneforge folder (where you have it installed). Open the aqrit.cfg file in Notepad (or an editor of your choice) and you'll see the setting. Just change and save and you're good to go :) Hope this helps.
thedkm: Hi,

Pajama: You need to put both ddraw.dll and aqrit.cfg into the main Geneforge folder (where you have it installed). Open the aqrit.cfg file in Notepad (or an editor of your choice) and you'll see the setting. Just change and save and you're good to go :) Hope this helps.
Yes it works, no more lag in the menus. :)

Thank you so much. :)
Post edited February 09, 2018 by thedkm
thedkm: Yes it works, no more lag in the menus. :)

Thank you so much. :)
Glad you got it working - enjoy the game :)
This confirmed fix for Avernum 4 is supposed to work for Geneforge, but I haven't tested it on Geneforge.. This is improved documentation on the Microsoft Application Compatibility solution.

For some reason, I am unable to post the link, but if you go to Spiderweb software, go to the forums, and search for "Avernum 4 slowdown", the first hit the thread with the solution.
Other alternative is ddrawcompat. It is the same principle. It is only a ddraw.dll without ini. Some games work better with this if the aqrit dll is not enough. I can confirm that specifically in avernum 4 and geneforge it works fine as the OP aqrit option.