My apologies in advance for resurrecting an old thread, but we're experiencing the same bug.
Can you please post exactly what software you used to do the .avi -> .avi 'conversion', as well as the files you had to change to get past this point?
If it is easier, perhaps you could put the fixed .avis somewhere where we can download them?
Thanks in advance for your help - we'd love to finish playing this game. :-)
. Got it! Here is exactly what we did: 1.
Copied all the .avis to a New Folder named 'avi backups' 2.
Created another New Folder called 'wmvs' 3.
Deleted the original .avis from the 'Data' folder, located in the main 'Gabriel Knight 3' folder 4.
Used a piece of software called Prism Video File Converter
to batch convert the .avis to .wmvs with the target location being the 'wmvs' folder we'd created. 5.
Used the same software to convert the .wmvs back into .avis, target location: the original 'Data' folder.
So far, great! Sidney is working fine, no more 'hang/freeze'.
My beau made the previous post on my behalf under his account name (sirsimonm).
I trust this will help everyone who's experienced this issue! :-)
All the best,
PS - I realise there is a similar solution listed above, but the neither the online Media Converter
nor the open-source software by the same name worked for us. If anyone wants the modified .avis, just let us know. They play through flawlessly thus far and don't get skipped (a problem someone mentioned even after the game began working post-conversion).