It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I keep getting this error message in Dosbox when switching between locations in fullscreen mode. I've tried all of the different settings in "Graphics Setup", none of them fix the issue.

It seems to run OK in windowed mode, but the window is way too small on my monitor to be playable.

Advice?

EDIT: To clarify, the game will continue to run in windowed mode even after the dialog box comes up with the runtime error message. I can Alt-Tab back to Dosbox and enter fullscreen mode again, but it throws the same error every time I switch to the map and back to a location.
Post edited September 19, 2012 by cristoslc
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
UPDATE: Resolved

After some trial-and-error work, I determined that there's some kind of conflict between Dosbox and XLanuchpad (http://www.xwidget.com/). If XLaunchpad is running when Dosbox is started, then I get the "Runtime error 416" messages. If I quit XLaunchpad first, then everything works great!
As a convenience, I wrote a batch file that will quit XLaunchpad whenever dosbox is running (e.g., GK1, or any other dosbox-based program) and then re-launch it when you quit dosbox.

The batch file (below) needs to be run as part of a scheduled task. For instructions on making a scheduled task in Windows, see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/schedule-a-task.

Use the following parameters for that task:
1. GENERAL > Set it to run as the SYSTEM user (to prevent the window from popping up every time it runs)
2. TRIGGERS > Set the trigger to open when a user logs in, and to repeat every 1 minute.
3. ACTIONS > Have it start the batch file.
4. CONDITIONS > Uncheck "Start the task only if the computer is on AC power" (this only matters on laptops)
5. SETTINGS > In the "If the task is already running..." dropdown menu, choose "Do not start a new instance" (default behavior anyway)

Paste everything between the "====" below (not including that line) into Notepad and save the file as something like "KillXLaunchpadIfDosBox.bat".

====BEGIN FILE (copy below this line)====
:: Heavily based on code from stackoverflow.com/questions/162291/how-to-check-if-a-process-is-running-via-a-batch-script#_=_

:: Check if Dosbox is running; if it is, kill xlaunchpad and skip the code that would restart it
::
tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq dosbox.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "dosbox.exe">NUL
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" taskkill /f /im xlaunchpad.exe
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" GOTO EOF
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="128" GOTO EOF

:: Start XLaunchpad. This code will be processed only if Dosbox is not running.
::
tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq xlaunchpad.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "xlaunchpad.exe">NUL
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="1" start "XLaunchPad" /D"C:\Program Files (x86)\XLaunchPad\" xlaunchpad.exe start

:EOF
EXIT
====END FILE (copy above this line)====

Message me if you have any questions or run into any trouble. Good luck, and good playing!