It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I notice sometimes if I lift some weapon or armor from one of the roving parties of humanoid monsters in the slums, a merchant will offer 1000 gold for that item, where it usually would net less than 10 gold.

I was able to outfit my two main fighters with the best merchant-sold weapons and armor you can find in Phlan (except maybe the expensive Silver Plate and even more expensive Fine Composite Long Bow) by selling just a few broad swords and leather armors.

Is this a bug or just what the hell is going on here?
This question / problem has been solved by PetrusOctavianusimage
It's not a bug; those weapons are not regular junk weapons. Equip them, and you'll see THAC0 being improved by 1. Keep them and ID them!
If you get a couple of hundred or more XP from a fight, and there's no money in the loot to account for it, it usually means magic items.
You can also use the Detect Magic spell to highlight magic items, but that is IMO waste of a precious spell slot.
Post edited October 22, 2015 by PetrusOctavianus